Options

Trenzalore - Coming soon

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Doctor Who has had a lot of 'timey whimey' explanations for their bigger stories.

If I've observed any kind of pattern in Season 5-7, it's be that the past and future can be changed in your own timeline - as long as you resolve any local paradoxes:
  • War Doctor regenerating to forget what just happened
  • Tesselator robot taking the Doctor's place, despite it being a fixed point with witnesses
  • The Doctor giving Rory the screwdriver so that he can get it off him in another scene, as well as many other quick course corrections in that same episode

Moffatt also likes to tell his stories out of order, which I think is one of the best parts about his writing - even if it's a bit fantastical at times.

"The Doctor has a secret that he will take to the grave. It is discovered".

We've now seen his secret and his grave. If this is another 'out of order' arc, we have seen the end in the Name of the Doctor. I think that we now saw the beginning in the Time of the Doctor. I think that the "middle" part of the story is yet to come, and that we're going to see that paradox resolved in Season 8/9. I also think it will tie in with Clara's departure.

Clara admitted in Time of the Doctor that she fancied him, loved him and that that may have been the main reason she chose to follow him. Clara seems genuinely more interested in the man himself than any of the adventures they go on together - he is her companion. I think that this is either going to end with her sacrifice out of love to him (cause who hasn't been driven to do that in recent times?) or she'll simply walk out Martha Jones style.

The latter is quite likely if the Doctor truly doesn't know how to fly the TARDIS right now. If that's the case, then Moffatt is a true time travelling psychopath/genius. Capaldi's stern eyes in Day of the Doctor are a glimpse at the middle of the story - confidently flying the TARDIS to save Gallifrey. Capaldi not knowing how to fly his own ship due to being 'rebooted' - if that pans out then I sense a very tough time for Clara next season; guiding an infantile old incarnation of the Doctor, re-teaching him who he needs to become in order to carry out his purpose.

Comments

• Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Moffatt also likes to tell his stories out of order, which I think is one of the best parts about his writing - even if it's a bit fantastical at times.

I like this also,it makes it more interesting and complex.:D

Clara admitted in Time of the Doctor that she fancied him, loved him and that that may have been the main reason she chose to follow him. Clara seems genuinely more interested in the man himself than any of the adventures they go on together - he is her companion.

I think Clara sees his eyes, which possibly say more than words ever can.

Capaldi's stern eyes in Day of the Doctor are a glimpse at the middle of the story
    but I wonder if that will change.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trenzalore's done. That was the whole point of The Time of the Doctor. It took us from his arrival, right up to his would've-been-death, across literally centuries of the Doctor's life. The Doctor's grave in The Name of the Doctor is unwritten - the time lords rewrote his future! Or, from our perspective, his history. Nothing leads to Name of the Doctor any more. It's orphaned.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Trenzalore's done. That was the whole point of The Time of the Doctor. It took us from his arrival, right up to his would've-been-death, across literally centuries of the Doctor's life. The Doctor's grave in The Name of the Doctor is unwritten - the time lords rewrote his future! Or, from our perspective, his history. Nothing leads to Name of the Doctor any more. It's orphaned.

I think you're right there, but The Day Of The Doctor on the other hand...

...I wonder if we'll see it from 12's perspective?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    I think you're right there, but The Day Of The Doctor on the other hand...

...I wonder if we'll see it from 12's perspective?

They dont need too though as we know what happens! If they do it would only be for a special reason that includes some new plot. All they need to do is leave some convincing gap, that would work nicely for him to do it in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »

But isn't that exactly the same trick they've been playing at?

What you're describing just seems to me like our current understanding of the story, but it still leaves a really really big TARDIS sized hole in the loose ends, not to mention how Clara might've been able to dive into the supposed time-tunnel corpse and make the Doctor pick the right TARDIS, etc.

They never said time was re-written, this was simply the point of the story at which we were witnessing the 'Fall of the Eleventh' on Trenzalore and potentially why it earned the name of "The Doctor's Grave", but it may not necessarily be his final grave. Why did Clara only see 12 faces? Surely she should've seen 14, 15, 16? X numbers of faceS?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Why did Clara only see 12 faces? Surely she should've seen 14, 15, 16? X numbers of faceS?

The answer to that is very simple and obvious

The Great Intelligence stepped into The Doctors time stream and changed everything and killed The Doctor (we saw him dying on the floor) so from that moment onwards there was no future Doctors until Clara changed everything back so as soon as the Doctor and Clara left the time stream the future Doctors would have been restored.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffy must be running out of ideas/secrets for the Doctor. He's had the Doctor die, fake his death, come back, we almost found out his real name, we found out he died on Trenzalore but now he's alive.... so what else can Moffy come up with? The Doctor is married? Oh no, he's done that too!

It's going to be hard for Mr Moffat to find new shocking secrets to reveal about the Doctor. The grave of the Doctor must be up there as one of the most shocking secrets.
  • Options
    QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting enough to keep you watching over the years though, eh Ray ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But isn't that exactly the same trick they've been playing at?

What you're describing just seems to me like our current understanding of the story, but it still leaves a really really big TARDIS sized hole in the loose ends, not to mention how Clara might've been able to dive into the supposed time-tunnel corpse and make the Doctor pick the right TARDIS, etc.

They never said time was re-written, this was simply the point of the story at which we were witnessing the 'Fall of the Eleventh' on Trenzalore and potentially why it earned the name of "The Doctor's Grave", but it may not necessarily be his final grave. Why did Clara only see 12 faces? Surely she should've seen 14, 15, 16? X numbers of faceS?
    They suggested that time was rewritten - the battle of Christmas, the Doctor knew, was when he was due to die. It was the battle that created all the graves on Trenzalore (that he saw in The Name of the Doctor), it was the battle where silence would fall, they'd already seen its outcome, and as he ascended to the clock tower he admitted he was powerless to change it. If the time lords were still here, he could have changed the future, but they were gone and his fate was sealed.

The implication of the new regeneration cycle is that the Time Lords, by intervening, did change the future, so that the future the Doctor had seen - the future where the Doctor only had twelve bodies, where his TARDIS inflated on Trenzalore - was averted. The reason there were only twelve Doctors in the timeline at Trenzalore is because they were the only Doctors that timeline was ever due to contain.

We know the Time Lords changed the future, and we know which future they changed. It's never outright stated in pedantic detail, but it's more than just an implication. Trenzalore's done! It's the aftermath of an event the Time Lords cancelled. There's nothing to resume.

--

I feel like I've danced around the point without quite explaining it. Apologies if I'm reiterating myself, but indulge the example!

The Doctor's grave/timeline at Trenzalore has (had!) a time, and a location. Let's call it the year 10,000, and let's call the location "X." If William Hartnell's Doctor - a young William Hartnell! - travelled to the year 10,000, and point X, he would find the Doctor's grave, with twelve faces, Hurt included, and a timeline stretching from Gallifrey to Trenzalore, via Sense-Sphere, Varos, and Raxacoricofallapatorius. If Tom Baker's Doctor went to 10,000-X years later, he'd find the same timeline, with the same Doctors - past, present and future. Any Doctor at any point who goes to 10,000-X would find the exact same timeline, with the exact same nodes, the same faces Clara encountered, all that good stuff.

Until Peter Capaldi. Because he only exists because the Time Lords have changed his future, so the Doctor's time line no longer ends at Trenzalore. If Capaldi now travels to 10,000-X, he'll just find... a nice field! Possibly inhabited, but no massive TARDIS, no nothing, just a backwater corner of the galaxy. Time has been rewritten! And Trenzalore is no longer relevant. His grave's still out there, waiting, but it's a different grave, in a different time and place. With more Doctors. 20,000-Y. That's what the Time Lords did that the Doctor couldn't. It's not stated in as many words, but this isn't fanfiction - these are all plot points in Time of the Doctor!

That doesn't negate the previous adventures. The Doctor, Clara, Amy, Susan all travelled through a universe where the Doctor was due to die at Trenzalore. The Name of the Doctor still happened - but time has moved, and so has Trenzalore's relevance. They can't go back to that version of the universe, so Trenzalore's no longer due. It's just a nice planet, now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Name of the Doctor happened for the people there... The same way that the entirety of Series 5 happened even though they didn't happen in the same way as the Doctor reset the universe...
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Moffy must be running out of ideas/secrets for the Doctor. He's had the Doctor die, fake his death, come back, we almost found out his real name, we found out he died on Trenzalore but now he's alive.... so what else can Moffy come up with? The Doctor is married? Oh no, he's done that too!

It's going to be hard for Mr Moffat to find new shocking secrets to reveal about the Doctor. The grave of the Doctor must be up there as one of the most shocking secrets.

The Cross-Dressing of the Doctor? The Dogging of the Doctor?

And I think rwebster wrote a very good summary of events.
  • Options
    Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »

He's going to take the show to new heights, where it has never been before... Hmm.. a sex change perhaps?
  • Options
    Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    The Cross-Dressing of the Doctor? The Dogging of the Doctor?

LOL! Just seen that post! :D
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I think that the events around Night of The Doctor would be interesting to explore.
  • Options
    adammarc_98adammarc_98 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I'd like Moffat to dwell slightly from the Cartmel Masterplan, in that the Doctor isn't just any other Time Lord.