I think Christmas special content shouldve been done as a 50th Pt 2

DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
Forum Member
✭✭
I think the content of the Christmas special was totally lost as a Christmas special this year and shouldve been done as a 50th special part 2 the weekend after the main 50th.
All Christmas references couldve been removed (if they had thought straight before filming it) and it wouldve been a good episode to go out just after the 50th special.
Then I think they shouldve had a separate Christmas special with Capaldi as a stand alone episode, just like the normal Christmas specials are!

What do others think of this idea?

Comments

• lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I think the content of the Christmas special was totally lost as a Christmas special this year and shouldve been done as a 50th special part 2 the weekend after the main 50th.
    All Christmas references couldve been removed (if they had thought straight before filming it) and it wouldve been a good episode to go out just after the 50th special.
    Then I think they shouldve had a separate Christmas special with Capaldi as a stand alone episode, just like the normal Christmas specials are!

What do others think of this idea?

I don't think it's a bad idea; it wraps up all the stuff for the fans whilst leaving a more accessible fun episode for Christmas.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I don't think it's a bad idea; it wraps up all the stuff for the fans whilst leaving a more accessible fun episode for Christmas.

Thats exactly what I was thinking!
    Im glad Im not the only one who thinks this wouldve been a good idea.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a sense, I think the three consecutive 'of the Doctor' episodes were a kind of trilogy, and I wouldn't be surprised if they begun as just that in Moffat's mind when he first started thinking about the anniversary story. Then, as their plans developed, and they possibly found themselves able to do less than they originally intended in the 50th year (not too scurrilous a piece of speculation, given they couldn't even produce a full series) the episodes ended up as what they were: season finale, one-off special and Christmas special.

I agree the Christmas theme was weak and that, to an extent, you need a fluffy, easily-accessible stand-alone story for the Christmas episode. It didn't really serve the Eleventh Doctor's final story to have to shoehorn those Christmas elements in either. But I think it was simply a case of needs-must. They only filmed two episodes this year and so they didn't have much choice. Maybe the high Audience Appreciation score for the previous Christmas special, which was also continuity-heavy, encouraged them that it could work too.

This will be a very unpopular opinion but I don't really care to see the Christmas specials continue. I'm a little tired of it being Christmas every few episodes and forced Christmas themes. It's nice to get the extra episode each year, and I know it helps with the prestige of the show but creatively it's become a bit of a bother.

All the above said, I thought it was a great episode. Moffatt coped manfully with what was probably a necessary situation.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    In a sense, I think the three consecutive 'of the Doctor' episodes were a kind of trilogy, and I wouldn't be surprised if they begun as just that in Moffat's mind when he first started thinking about the anniversary story. Then, as their plans developed, and they possibly found themselves able to do less than they originally intended in the 50th year (not too scurrilous a piece of speculation, given they couldn't even produce a full series) the episodes ended up as what they were: season finale, one-off special and Christmas special.

I agree the Christmas theme was weak and that, to an extent, you need a fluffy, easily-accessible stand-alone story for the Christmas episode. It didn't really serve the Eleventh Doctor's final story to have to shoehorn those Christmas elements in either. But I think it was simply a case of needs-must. They only filmed two episodes this year and so they didn't have much choice. Maybe the high Audience Appreciation score for the previous Christmas special, which was also continuity-heavy, encouraged them that it could work too.

This will be a very unpopular opinion but I don't really care to see the Christmas specials continue. I'm a little tired of it being Christmas every few episodes and forced Christmas themes. It's nice to get the extra episode each year, and I know it helps with the prestige of the show but creatively it's become a bit of a bother.

All the above said, I thought it was a great episode. Moffatt coped manfully with what was probably a necessary situation.

Ah I see so it was a case of needs must, and the trilogy of episodes ending 'of the Doctor' idea makes sense and it would have worked much better if say we had had the fist one on the 16th, the second on the 23rd and the third on the 30th.
    Then a Christmas special and a full series 7 on 2012 and a full series 8 in spring 2013! But it wasnt to be!

Also are we to have the future Christmas episodes including continuing themes like this form now on? If so it would certainly make sense to have each series end on Christmas day, with the 12 weeks leading up to Christmas day carrying the rest of each series!

Oh and I did enjoy the episode very much and thought it did Matt's Doctor well as a send off, it was just done more for the fans than casual viewers! All I can say to that is Im glad Im a fan, as I can enjoy it that much more knowing the rest of the story!
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »

They were kind of Ghost of Christmas past (dotd), present (notd) and future (totd) trilogy on the Doctor and Matt/Clara
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    They were kind of Ghost of Christmas past (dotd), present (notd) and future (totd) trilogy on the Doctor and Matt/Clara

Ah, I like that! Interesting way of looking at it.