Happy 50th birthday Daleks.

FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
Forum Member
You haven't grown much though. ;)

Comments

• ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey, 50 years go eh? They hit the national psyche back in 63 in a way that is hard to appreciate today, at the dawn of the cultural revolution. Happy birthday Daleks and credit to all involved in creating them. Terry Nation, Verity Lambert, Sidney Newman and especially Raynond Cusick who came up with the iconic design which more than anything else in my opinion laid the foundations of the Dalek's lasting appeal (and with it the success of the TV series).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Birthday Daleks!

For 50 years you have brought great fear and terror across the universe with a desire for genocide so great it makes the Holocaust look like a temper tantrum.

God we love you, you deranged pepper pots.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they didn't arrive until 1964?
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    I thought they didn't arrive until 1964?
    It was '63. Although the date of their debut could be considered either the 21st or the 28th of December. It depends if you consider the brief appearance of a plunger at the end of 'The Dead Planet' to be their first appearance.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite how much they have appeared over the years. I love the Daleks.

Happy Birthday
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    It was '63. Although the date of their debut could be considered either the 21st or the 28th of December. It depends if you consider the brief appearance of a plunger at the end of 'The Dead Planet' to be their first appearance.

Always a tricky one that though I agree it's 1963 whichever way you look at it!

Happy 50th Daleks, the 50th Anniversary should have featured them as sole villains in respect of their anniversary too.

:)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Daleks!

For 50 years you have brought great fear and terror across the universe with a desire for genocide so great it makes the Holocaust look like a temper tantrum.

God we love you, you deranged pepper pots.

Oh what a horrible post, it shocked me to read. How can anyone dismiss the Holocaust so casually?
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Crikey, 50 years go eh? They hit the national psyche back in 63 in a way that is hard to appreciate today, at the dawn of the cultural revolution. Happy birthday Daleks and credit to all involved in creating them. Terry Nation, Verity Lambert, Sidney Newman and especially Raynond Cusick who came up with the iconic design which more than anything else in my opinion laid the foundations of the Dalek's lasting appeal (and with it the success of the TV series).

Don't forget the voices, an integral part of the Daleks' success.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if that plunger still exists...I'd like to think so.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will celebrate!! CELEBRATTTEEE!!!! :D
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    You will celebrate!! CELEBRATTTEEE!!!! :D

Over to John Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDXDkWd8eq0
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    OK, OK, Happy 50th today then. :p
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Altough the 21st of decembre appearance of the plunger was quit an entrance (Barbara screaming is still powerfull today) and is considered the official 1st of a Dalek, i agree the real televisual birthday is today.
    So have a rotten birthday Daleks, and i'm sincere.
    But i looked a little bit and rewatched the first minutes of 'Genesis of the Daleks' and couldn't find their real date of creation.
    Somebody know this?