Report: BBC and ITV to win rights to 2018 and 2022 World Cups

2»

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    1966 onward sb at wembley

I did describe it as ''a mini scoreboard'', it was quite small.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    You conveniently overlook the fact that many products would be cheaper if we were not helping to pay the advertising budget, some of which no doubt goes to ITV.

You really think that? so naieve.... :)

sorry shouldnt be condesending but every time someone says "x would be cheaper if the company didnt have to spend y on something else first..." it just makes me laugh. As no it wouldnt, x would stay at the same price and the company would take more profit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frost wrote: »

sorry shouldnt be condesending but every time someone says "x would be cheaper if the company didnt have to spend y on something else first..." it just makes me laugh. As no it wouldnt, x would stay at the same price and the company would take more profit.

:):):):):)
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    They share it to :-

A) Not obliterate the regular schedule.

and

B) Not create a bidding war.

Works for both parties.

I'm confused as to why you think this process is "mental". Plenty of other sports rights are shared between broadcasters.

Edit - Also * PICK TV KLAXON *

Sharing rights is rubbish & amateurish the BBC did the entire Olympics so they could do the entire tournaments with a temporary station set up specially. Or Itv could do the same and make millions from ad revenue. Other countries have broadcasters that are not so shortsighted.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    frost wrote: »

Not necessarily.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Sharing rights is rubbish & amateurish
    Why is it?
    the BBC did the entire Olympics so they could do the entire tournaments with a temporary station set up specially.
    The Olympics are a totally different kettle of fish. It's a lot easier to split the football for a start.
    Or Itv could do the same and make millions from ad revenue. Other countries have broadcasters that are not so shortsighted.
    The more football ITV have the less valuable the return on the investment would be. Sticking it on temporary services would mean lower ratings and would be bad for both Fifa and the broadcasters.

I think no one really bothers to reply to you, because you lack reasoned arguments and logical thought about these matters, but I'm trying anyway.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think ITV would make millions more for showing all the matches.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did describe it as ''a mini scoreboard'', it was quite small.

You haven't answered my original question. Why would ITV have had to construct another scoreboard at Wembley, rather than just showing a simple superimposed caption with the score ?

Where in the stadium was this specially commissioned scoreboard ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't answered my original question. Why would ITV have had to construct another scoreboard at Wembley, rather than just showing a simple superimposed caption with the score ?

Can't answer that as it was an editorial decision by ITV - I agree it would have been the obvious thing to do rather than show a huge advert for the Radio Times which in those days sold about eight million copies a week.

I believe their scoreboard was on a locked-off camera in the production area and, as I said, was quite small.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't answer that as it was an editorial decision by ITV - I agree it would have been the obvious thing to do rather than show a huge advert for the Radio Times which in those days sold about eight million copies a week.

I believe their scoreboard was on a locked-off camera in the production area and, as I said, was quite small.

Production area ?
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the live games have to be free to air and I agree that they should say that way.
    Whats to stop the likes of BT biding for a highlights package for the next two world cups.
    Come the 2022 world cup I will be in my late 40s.

Darren
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »

I don't know why they did but I believe they did indeed do that. Presumably they thought it was important to have a scoreboard shot, important enough to do a mock-up. I think it was literally just a scale model in front of a camera. It's a bit like how the Beeb used to have a scale model of the Big Ben clock face in one of the presentation studios which they could use if for whatever reason they couldn't show the proper one.
    ney wrote: »
    If the live games have to be free to air and I agree that they should say that way.
    Whats to stop the likes of BT biding for a highlights package for the next two world cups.

Nothing, hence why in the 2006 World Cup UKTV G2, as was (now Dave of course) sublicenced the Beeb's rights, simulcasting all their live games and having highlights of the rest. BT could do that now if they wanted to, but they wouldn't because it's minimal value. The UKTV deal was part of a short-lived effort by UKTV to get more involved in sport, but then they decided it wasn't working for them and they changed direction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely a highlights package would be of minimal value to either BT or Sky ? Why would I want to watch again on Sky or BT what I've already seen FTA (and if I did both BBC and ITV would have provided a match edit in any case). There is now talk of the 2022 deal having to be renegotiated in any case in the light of recent developments.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the live games in 2022 like the ones coming up will be late evening games and some will be watching in bed or in bed when they are on. So a highlights package may be good for some of us that miss some of the live games.

Darren
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Some of the live games in 2022 like the ones coming up will be late evening games and some will be watching in bed or in bed when they are on. So a highlights package may be good for some of us that miss some of the live games.

Well, you've got that, the Beeb are showing highlights every morning and ITV will no doubt do them during the live games the next day.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Points taken, not arguing at all. I remember at the ''old'' Wembley the scoreboard carried a huge advert for the Radio Times which was fine for the BBC but not ITV so they had to construct their own mini-scoreboard which they used instead when they were both showing the Cup Final.BBC always had two paths out of Wembley on separate routes, ITV only one. One year the ITV one failed for a few minutes and they had to switch to the BBC feed.

Would the scoreboard seen in the left of this picture of the late Dave MacKay have been the ITV one? No sign of a Radio Times advert there.

http://talksport.com/football/20-best-footballers-youve-never-seen-150303138438
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why resurrect this thread?