TruTV Launch Question

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US chatshows never perform well in the UK. Letterman is the best example having been dropped by Sky One, Paramount, ITV2, ITV4 and Diva TV. Jay Leno aired on Freeview channel FTN but was moved to a late night slot and axed following dismal ratings. (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2754064&postcount=1)

Conan might work as a cheap filler for TruTV, got a feeling it will be pushed to midnight before long though.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US chatshows never perform well in the UK. Letterman is the best example having been dropped by Sky One, Paramount, ITV2, ITV4 and Diva TV. Jay Leno aired on Freeview channel FTN but was moved to a late night slot and axed following dismal ratings. (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2754064&postcount=1)

Conan might work as a cheap filler for TruTV, got a feeling it will be pushed to midnight before long though.
    Don't think so. Its the one show they have made a big thing of. Remember Conan has a following in the UK from his NBC chat show shown here on CNBC.
  • emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good. Celebs, some of whom with no fame whatsoever, promoting something that is irrelevant over here, a show thats not on tv here or a film that isn't out yet etc. A real ratings winner.

Most freeview channels must have tiny ratings and this will be another one!

To be fair, I think Conan is quite good; it used to be on 3e in Ireland and is quite decent.

As for "a film that isn't out yet", as far as I could make out, it was aired a few weeks/months after its original US airing so it was usually the case that the film was long gone haha.

But seriously, from looking on the Sky EPG, the channel looks rubbish, and Conan seems the best thing on it.
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Just checking this weeks schedule-

Larry King - no relevance to the uk
    Megan Fox - film out over here

So yeah no real relevance over here

Larry King is a regular on the show because he has a good rapport with O'Brien and a long career that means he has a lot of stories to tell rather than to plug something. He is also familiar to UK audiences for the his show on CNN which ran for 25 years, which was often shown in peak time on CNN International. So I would say he is just as relevant to British audiences as American ones even though his online show is not available here.

But Megan Fox's film does not open in the UK until October, so there Cricketblade has a sort-of point. Though it will be eventually, so promoting it is still relevant if you care about such things.

With many Hollywood movies now opening at similar times in the UK and US, and so many channels and streaming services that most major US TV series are shown here, it is rare any guest would be irrelevant to a British audience these days. And in the case of Conan I have seen him talk with British actors about programmes they appeared in here which he liked but I am sure would have meant nothing to most of his audience.

But, who watches a talk show to see what a guest is promoting anyway? Most talk shows these days, on both sides of the Atlantic, are about the hosts and their personality. It is the monologue, sketches, and comedy bits that people talk about, go viral, and which win awards. The guests are really just there for the host to play off and, if entertaining enough in their own right, to be a performer alongside him or her. I doubt there are many who watch Alan Carr or Graham Norton's shows and are not fans of theirs.
  • emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the above poster; I've watched Conan when it was on here in Ireland, and sometimes had no idea who the guests were; but O'Brien is a funny guy himself.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but you asked for it to be free to air - you can't go shifting the goal posts now... Perhaps you would like them to deliver DVDs of the show through your door ;-)

I have Freeview, as do most people in the country so I regard that as the default covering most of the country rather than something like Freesat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware, there has been no confirmation that TruTV will launch on Virgin Media Cable today. Anyone heard differently?
  • ken190ken190 Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ken190 wrote: »

That's the us site
    Straker wrote: »
    I have Freeview, as do most people in the country so I regard that as the default covering most of the country rather than something like Freesat.

Freesat covers more of the country than Freeview, but you asked for FTA, which counts both Freesat and Freeview as well as FTA channels that aren't on either EPG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.trutv.co.uk UK site. It's a bit bare-bones at the moment.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »

Interesting, it's available as a live stream on the website
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The same goes for the schedule. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Freesat covers more of the country than Freeview, but you asked for FTA, which counts both Freesat and Freeview as well as FTA channels that aren't on either EPG.

Not unless it`s changed drastically in the last year:

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052089

Why would you say more people have Freesat?
  • GerrySGerryS Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    emmetmcl wrote: »

As for "a film that isn't out yet", as far as I could make out, it was aired a few weeks/months after its original US airing so it was usually the case that the film was long gone haha.

But seriously, from looking on the Sky EPG, the channel looks rubbish, and Conan seems the best thing on it.

The show is only a day behind from America.
    For example:
    Mondays American episode airs on Tuesday
    Tuesdays American episode airs on Wednesday
    Wednesdays American episode airs on Thursday
    Thursdays American episode airs the following Monday

And I agree with you there, I caught some episodes on TBS when I was in America last year, and I absolutely love his comedy.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teeny tiny budget TV channels make small profits, but that's all right nowadays.

Broadcast TV will take what they can get. Conan on ITV(1) at 11pm would be unlikely because they can do better. But TruTV is like a corner shop compared to ITVs Tesco, so it's a good deal for them and I imagine it will be one of their higher rating shows.
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not unless it`s changed drastically in the last year:

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052089

Why would you say more people have Freesat?

Freeview is the single largest broadcasting platform by number of people who have a TV with freeview built in (or older TV with a Freeview Box).

However around half the country does not use Freeview (either as their primary TV source or at all). The other 50% is made up of Sky, Virgin, Freesat, as well as a small percentage who use BT TV, Talk Talk TV, Smallworld Cable.

Freesat does indeed cover more of the country (I believe that it is available in over 99% of homes - if you buy a box and put up a dish) whilst the 'lite' version of freeview has coverage of 97.5% of homes & I believe it is under 90% of homes are covered by the full freeview service (and less if you want the full Freeview HD service).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview is the single largest broadcasting platform by number of people who have a TV with freeview built in (or older TV with a Freeview Box).

Freeview is in more homes than any other platform, which is my original point. To big up Freesat in any way is just ludicrous with the minute take-up it has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    truTV first programme 'Bait Car' has been airing on CBS Reality for some time now. You would think they would offer programming not seen before here!
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    truTV first programme 'Bait Car' has been airing on CBS Reality for some time now. You would think they would offer programming not seen before here!

I am sure their programming is made up almost entirely, if not all, from shows that Turner Broadcasting distribute. And so would expect any shows from their US sister network that has aired on other channels to be brought in-house as rights expire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Is this chanel available on virgin?
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    emmetmcl wrote: »
    To be fair, I think Conan is quite good; it used to be on 3e in Ireland and is quite decent.
    Why is it no longer on 3e though?

It's very true that the US talk shows all fail here - even The Daily Show is now being relegated to a middle of the night slot by Comedy Central and will no doubt be dropped when contract renewal arrives.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeview is in more homes than any other platform, which is my original point. To big up Freesat in any way is just ludicrous with the minute take-up it has.

The only confusion is due to your misuse of the term FTA, when it seems you just meant available on Freeview.
    The Tonight Show on CNBC is currently available free to air, to over 10 million Sky and Freesat homes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tonight Show on CNBC is currently available free to air, to over 10 million Sky and Freesat customers.

How exactly is it free on Sky?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How exactly is it free on Sky?

CNBC is a free channel, no card or subscription is needed.
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, but the issue is that almost all tv's sold in the last 8 years have freeview built in, so the offical stats are misleading.

As of early 2012 (last OFCOM survey, which are generally under reports the number of Pay TV subscribers) 46% of homes in the UK subscribe to a pay tv service. So it is safe to assume that in these households that Freeview is either not uses at all, or is used very rarely. Add the fact that in the past 2 years both Virgin and Sky have been increasing their total TV subscribers, and the new IPTV platforms from BT and Talk Talk since the OFCOM survey.

Of the 2 free tv options (freeview & freesat) the two cannot be compared. Freeview is the digital age equivalent of the old analogue services (ie Free, broadcast via traditional transmitters and is built into every tv over the last 8 years or so).

It could be argued that given that there is no more analogue tv anymore there shouldn't even be a need for the Freeview brand, although this is a total different arguement for another day/thread.

However to say that anyone on this forum is trying to "big up" Freesat is unjust. Figures upto Feb 2013 show that Freesat have sold over 3 million boxes. Now lets use a conserative estimate that 30% of these boxes are no longer used or were bought to replace existing boxes then that means that out of the 26 millions households in the UK there are 2.1 million households that use Freesat at their TV Platform of choice.

Add this (estimated) 2.1 million to the 10 million sky tv subscribers, the 3.8 million Virgin Media (TV) subscribers and the approx 1 million subscribers to the smaller pay tv platforms and you get a total of 17 millions households where freeview is either not used at all or is certainly not the main platform for watching tv.

By these figures the Sky platform is the largest single (primary) platform for watching broadcast TV in the UK, with Freeview coming second with 9 million and then Virgin media and Freesat coming in third and fourth with their 3.8 and 2.1 million each.