How best to format 1tb usb drive EXT3

djc45djc45 Posts: 217
Forum Member
Hi,
I`m planning to add a second external drive to my Foxsat to archive my HD recordings (BBCHD). Due to the file size limit of FAT32, I would like to format it this time as EXT3.

What is the easiest way for me to do this. My machines are all windows. Now assume I could run Linux from a CD, but:
Which version of Linux am I best using?
Is it straightforward to format in Linux?, I have not used Linux before.

I really appreciate any pointers from folks that have done this.
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Have just formatted my 1TB HDD to EXT3 with Linux Puppy 5, I downloaded the Puppy iso and burnt it to CD in Windows, Puppy boots from CD and runs in RAM, it has a program called GParted which works very well.
  • djc45djc45 Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Thanks,
    Used Gparted in Ubuntu, has formatted the drive, and I am now using it on the foxsat.
    :D
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arirsole wrote: »
    Have just formatted my 1TB HDD to EXT3 with Linux Puppy 5, I downloaded the Puppy iso and burnt it to CD in Windows, Puppy boots from CD and runs in RAM, it has a program called GParted which works very well.

Can you please help re puppy 5. I have booted the pc with it and then went to ppartition and deleted fat 32 from my usb flash card. Cannot find ext3 to replace it with.

Am very inexperienced with pcs.

Thanks Marina
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mastanlem wrote: »
    Can you please help re puppy 5. I have booted the pc with it and then went to ppartition and deleted fat 32 from my usb flash card. Cannot find ext3 to replace it with.

Am very inexperienced with pcs.

Thanks Marina

Have just worked out that the resolution was wrong and could not see all of the gparted window. Have now formatted to ext3 and inthe process of copying an HD file to try out.

Marina