Google or Bing

Which is best?

Comments

• Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google.

Google dominates most of the search market and I just find their results far better and I think Google has a far better layout than Bing...
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Bing? What's that? Is it a search engine? The answer is Google...but there are lots of others as well. Why do you ask? Is it just for general searching or did you have something specific in mind?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Bing? What's that? Is it a search engine? The answer is Google...but there are lots of others as well. Why do you ask? Is it just for general searching or did you have something specific in mind?

I'm considering moving from IE to Chrome and obviously in IE the default search in Bing and I wondered if I move to Chrome if sticking with it's standard Google Search will offer better results than Bing
    (Yes I know I can use Bing in Chrome aswell if I want to) :)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    google for search.

but Bing Maps is much better than google now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    google for search.

I disagree, Google maps is far more accurate.
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    I disagree, Google maps is far more accurate.

par example?

the routing is better. the interface is excellent. it's much more functional. for example if you want to print out directions.
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    google for search.

I agree - especially the "Birds Eye" and OS map views
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bing is good for searching for videos. And yes.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    par example?

the routing is better. the interface is excellent. it's much more functional. for example if you want to print out directions.

Don't think I've printed out directions since I got a smartphone.... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Whats bing?..... Never mind I just Googled it ;)
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Don't think I've printed out directions since I got a smartphone.... ;)

Yeah yeah.

Some relatives came recently. I had to print them directions to go somewhere. At it's best Google maps always gets the last bit by my house wrong. It also did this http://nigelcoldwell.co.uk/test/googlemap.png and I couldn't really print them out.

So I tried bing maps, the interface was great, the routing too. I didn't realise how shit Google maps had gotten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah yeah.

Some relatives came recently. I had to print them directions to go somewhere. At it's best Google maps always gets the last bit by my house wrong. It also did this http://nigelcoldwell.co.uk/test/googlemap.png and I couldn't really print them out.

So I tried bing maps, the interface was great, the routing too. I didn't realise how shit Google maps had gotten.

But Google is far better with routing for me personally, has an decent Android app, has decent satellite imagery (including Street View) and is better at finding local restraunts etc...
    Forum Member
    But Google is far better with routing for me personally, has an decent Android app, has decent satellite imagery (including Street View) and is better at finding local restraunts etc...

Bing routing is fundamentally better than Google's. Better satellite imagery. And street view.

I don't understand your comparisons.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ebeneezer Goode

You can have Google as the Default search engine in IE, I do. Just go to 'Manage Search Providers' and make what you like the Default or indeed add other search engines.

You can also do exactly the same thing in the Chrome Web Browser, that also has a Search Engine Manager that can set the Default one.

I find Google is best in general, though for some things I use others, Bing is amongst those.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://duckduckgo.com/

I used to use bing, but then found duck duck go. i tend to avoid Google search if I can,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    For me, it's Google.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

I used to use bing, but then found duck duck go. i tend to avoid Google search if I can,

it's my favourite
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google for search, Bing maps and navigation is better.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Google for me. Isn't Bing a Microsoft product anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google for me. Isn't Bing a Microsoft product anyway?

Yes, it was Windows Live Search.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Yes, it was Windows Live Search.

Exactly. I did try it once though and didn't find it all that good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    it's my favourite

The only problem for me was that the US search was default and since i delete my cookies after a session it kept returning to the US default.

I now use a cookie manager to keep that cookie, so all is fine.

i used to use Scroogle now and again until Google did not like it and change their site so Scroogle would nto work.

The thing i like about Duck duck go apart from the fact it searches different search engines is they don't hold your search or pass it onto google.
    Forum Member
    Exactly. I did try it once though and didn't find it all that good.

yes the IT business is known for being slow moving. if you tried windows live search 4 years ago that is sufficient.

apparently Bing has a higher success rate than google.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »

what is the search ethos for that site? how do they rank results? seems to give some strange results.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is the search ethos for that site? how do they rank results? seems to give some strange results.

i have not idea, but then I don't want them to stick a result at the top because such a such a company have paid for it to be done.

That is the problem with Google, it is nothing to do with how popular the website is, it is how much a company pay google to keep it at the top/.