Options

Have you ever done a random act of kindness?

13»

Comments

• Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    "Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard."

Sorry, but the modern misuse of the word bothers me.
    You're just being difficult and pedantic. Random is more commonly now used to mean unplanned. Get with the programme or admit you are just looking for excuses. :p
  • Options
    DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I lived down in Kent, there was a blind chap who I used to occassionally bump into on the way to the train station trying to get across a busy road. Once I worked out his timings (he was very regular), I used to leave early to help him across.

When I moved away, I told him just in case he waited for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Really troubled at seeing an old woman begging in North London this week: it was a bitterly cold day, and she was curled up rocking and really sobbing under the bridges near the tube station. I walked past, then stopped, returned and gave her some money. She looked about 70, all curled up in a ball, rocking on the pavement. I mentioned her to my OH that evening, and he recognised the description, but reckoned she was a 40 year old crack addict. Either way, it was a bloody tragedy to see. What do I do if I see her again?
    Rocking is a sign of great distress, e.g. as in a mental illness. Not all homeless people are drug addicts - they come from various walks of life, i.e. unfortunate circumstances (as was the case with me), war veterans, suddenly terminated relationships/marriages, you name it...it's a long list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do - all the time. Am pro-active in this. We need more compassion in our society.

www.randomactsofkindness.org

For ideas - click on the button that says "kindness ideas" .... just as a source of inspiration for your own ideas. :)
  • Options
    DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    Rocking is a sign of great distress, e.g. as in a mental illness. Not all homeless people are drug addicts - they come from various walks of life, i.e. unfortunate circumstances (as was the case with me), war veterans, suddenly terminated relationships/marriages, you name it...it's a long list.

I have nothing to add except to say that I have seen this myself. Perhap a +1 will add weight
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Really? Why haven't you mentioned this before?
    I'm shy and modest
    That doesn't make you a good person.
    I never said I was. :)
    .I know PLENTY of people that go out of their way to help others when they need it who are Atheists...
    So do I
  • Options
    wildwestwaleswildwestwales Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Whilst my darling late husband was having a scan at the hospital, a lady who had just had her scan, (not good results for her either), could not bend to put her shoes on so I instinctively helped. She had no one with her and it was just so sad as she had a tumour on the spine and had limited movement. I may have been the only person, other than medical staff, who knew of her condition as she had no family. I only met her that day but the memory has lasted four years now.