Options

Idiots who say cancel the London Marathon

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
I have herd today and seen on a few other forums, people who say the Marathon should be cancelled on Sunday as a mark of respect. Also that they cannot guarantee peoples safety, It's asking for trouble carrying on.

They cannot see that would be letting the vicious aholes who did the bombings that they have won. On the dear old DM there was one person who said proudly that they had not set foot in London since 7/7.

That's what the terrorists want fear, I wonder how some of these people would have got on during WW2.

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancel the Marathon for what reason?

Mark of respect for what...Thatcher?

Guaranteeing whose safety? Is more dangerous this year then?

Edit: Oh, didn't see the Bombing thread nor have I heard it on the news today!
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, you can't cancel everything and live in fear. If we thought like that nobody would get out of bed in the morning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair I know the bombing has happened but people have been calling for it to be banned for ages due to people dying from heart attacks etc.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. They're already doing a respect thing with #handsoverhearts.

Why do people feel the need to go to such extremes?
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I dont get is: If we don't know who blew up Boston. How can we make any judgement about London? If Boston was part one of an organised plan by an organisation with international reach. Then maybe there's a case for calling it off. But. If it's some local nutter on amateur night. London is at no greater risk today than it was last week.
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight - someone has said something on an internet forum somewhere that you disagree with.

Say it ain't so... :eek:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    To be fair I know the bombing has happened but people have been calling for it to be banned for ages due to people dying from heart attacks etc.

It's hardly on the same level as the Grand National.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So let me get this straight - someone has said something on an internet forum somewhere that you disagree with.

Say it ain't so... :eek:

No I herd people talking in the supermarket too. I just walked by and shook my head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    No I herd people talking in the supermarket too. I just walked by and shook my head.

That told 'em, eh? :)
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    I agree, you can't cancel everything and live in fear. If we thought like that nobody would get out of bed in the morning.

and then what life would we have? stay indoors 24/7 to scared to venture out. SAD MAN very bad..:eek:
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That told 'em, eh? :)

Was there tutting involved?
    Nothing says mildly peeved than a good tut.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member

What a load of rubbish, more people die of heart attacks through sitting on their lazy arses and not doing any exercise. :mad:

I have been training five days a week for four months for the London Marathon, and I would have been heartbroken if it had been cancelled.

Since yesterdays atrocity I have heard from several people who weren't planning to come and cheer me on, but who have changed their minds and say that they will definitely be there. :)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »

A you a kind of shepherd?
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I think people say things like this, so if something does happen, they can climb onto their high horse and say "I told you so".
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

He must have one smart sheepdog, he doesnt even need to whistle to issue commands, a shake of the head is all it takes. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll guess you're not, if you think sheep come by the herd... :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd think it more respectful of the people of Boston that the London Marathon goes ahead. So what if security costs now need to increase into several more million. The country can well afford it. We are splashing out an estimated £10M a few days before for one old dear's leaving bash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of rubbish, more people die of heart attacks through sitting on their lazy arses and not doing any exercise. :mad:

I have been training five days a week for four months for the London Marathon, and I would have been heartbroken if it had been cancelled.

Since yesterdays atrocity I have heard from several people who weren't planning to come and cheer me on, but who have changed their minds and say that they will definitely be there. :)
    Chill out :eek:. I wasn't saying I think it needs to be banned (I don't) Im just saying some people might have wanted it banned for that reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chill out :eek:. I wasn't saying I think it needs to be banned (I don't) Im just saying some people might have wanted it banned for that reason.

Probably the same people who are scared of their own shadow, and never taken a risk in their whole life.:(
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good luck this weekend :)
    I'd think it more respectful of the people of Boston that the London Marathon goes ahead. So what if security costs now need to increase into several more million. The country can well afford it. We are splashing out an estimated £10M a few days before for one old dear's leaving bash.
    I agree with you absolutely, going ahead with the London Marathon will show much more respect to those who suffered in Boston, and feel sure the people of Boston would agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like The Grand National though but that's a totally different topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Good luck this weekend :)

I agree with you absolutely, going ahead with the London Marathon will show much more respect to those who suffered in Boston, and feel sure the people of Boston would agree.

Thanks muggins, I can hardly wait, I think that it is going to be a great experience.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks muggins, I can hardly wait, I think that it is going to be a great experience.:)

Best of luck and health on the way round although I'm sure you'd prefer the wishes for suitable weather :D

Mostly cloudy and 14 degrees or 57 in old money ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Best of luck and health on the way round although I'm sure you'd prefer the wishes for suitable weather :D

Mostly cloudy and 14 degrees or 57 in old money ;)

Thanks Jackie, cloudy is fine, just as long as it doesn't rain. I wouldn't like it too warm. ;)
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't cancel every public event incase of terrorism when most of the time there won't be any. What about the attacks that weren't at major events anyway? Put missiles on top of every well-known building? They'll just blow up buses or something.