Options

Explosion at Boston Marathon

Comments

• Options
    AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Yup, but it was found later the democrats had bullseye targets on a map of america in one of their campaign posters as well, in aggressive style campaigning, Joe Manchin (D) used an assault rifle regularly in his ads, using to "defeat" opponents agendas.

If there is a discourse problem then it needs to be addressed on both sides, although no ones doubting the tea party are much worse and are the bulk of it.

Just checked a Joe Manchin advert out. Great political discussion there... Not.

Basically, I can fire a gun, and so can my friends, lets stand up to Obama...

http://youtu.be/xIJORBRpOPM
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    AnthonymcQ wrote: »
    Just checked a Joe Manchin advert out. Great political discussion there... Not.

Basically, I can fire a gun, and so can my friends, lets stand up to Obama...

http://youtu.be/xIJORBRpOPM

The frightening thing is that he's in Obama's party although you'd never know it from that ad.

Actually, I'd put money on it that when the Democrats lose their majority in the Senate then Manchin will cross the floor and become a Republican.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    The Independent has confirmed that the bombs were packed with ball bearings, and that FBI, Immigration and various other agencies have raided a Boston flat, which Fox News reported belonged to the Saudi bloke who is being guarded in hospital.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/boston-marathon-explosions-latest-fbi-raids-flat-in-citys-suburbs-as-bombs-are-revealed-to-be-packed-with-ball-bearings-8574228.html

It's starting to look more likely there is a religious motive behind these attacks.

to be fair you could of laid money on the fact that anyone who was there who 'looked' muslim (and yes - I know that they come in all colours, shapes and sizes :D) would of been a suspect, as soon as the news broke there were idiots shouting 'muslims!' - the poor guy was seriously injured in the incident, and may well be innocent, but because he's muslim he's under guard. A few of the paper have said that he is NOT a suspect but a person of interest - so perhaps he is innocent (although he'll never get his life back), and just unlucky that he was there.

who knows? IMO the bombs were not 'serious' enough (although horrid) for a major organisation, my first thoughts were that it was 'home grown' as they seemed to be more of a attention grabbing device than one designed to kill hundreds (which lets face it, is what the muslim extremists generally go for).
  • Options
    AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Video of the first explosion filmed by a runner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHnpHZpFcw&feature=youtu.be

Horrifying POV video there
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's starting to look more likely there is a religious motive behind these attacks.

No it isn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    to be fair you could of laid money on the fact that anyone who was there who 'looked' muslim (and yes - I know that they come in all colours, shapes and sizes :D) would of been a suspect, as soon as the news broke there were idiots shouting 'muslims!' - the poor guy was seriously injured in the incident, and may well be innocent, but because he's muslim he's under guard. A few of the paper have said that he is NOT a suspect but a person of interest - so perhaps he is innocent (although he'll never get his life back), and just unlucky that he was there.

who knows? IMO the bombs were not 'serious' enough (although horrid) for a major organisation, my first thoughts were that it was 'home grown' as they seemed to be more of a attention grabbing device than one designed to kill hundreds (which lets face it, is what the muslim extremists generally go for).
    Maybe the guy is being held because he has expressed anti American sentiment online (but just all talk) which lets face it is not a crime. However because of this he may be innocent but being talked too.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're correct that Islam tends to prefer more spectacular attacks, as in massive loss of life, however it's also possible this bloke was acting alone and not a member of any of the more well known Jihad type groups. Then again, as you say he could also be innocent, and unfortunately found himself to be a natural suspect purely because he's a Muslim. We will just have to wait I suppose until more details emerge. Whoever is responsible, I hope they catch him/them sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A rather strange thing to say. Anyway, it would seem the suspect is Saudi Arabian, and flew into the States on a student visa. It could be a red herring, but guess we'll find out soon if they have enough evidence to charge him.

It's not a strange thing to say at all. Fox News is owned by Murdoch and is a kind of even more sensational, televised version of The Sun in terms of its politics. I quite agree with JW, they will have jumped on any suggestion of Islamic involvement because that is what they *want* it to be. They don't care whether what they broadcast is true or not, so long as they can make a good story from it.

I find the term, 'the dark shadow of Islam' far stranger, to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Maybe the guy is being held because he has expressed anti American sentiment online (but just all talk) which lets face it is not a crime. However because of this he may be innocent but being talked too.

did he - not seen that (there's so many reports its hard to keep up!) well yes perhaps its that, but still doesn't make him guilty - I've done similar in the last few days, laughing at the dumb americans that have been posting on twitter about north korea wanting revenge for pearl harbour (yes really :confused:), but doesn't mean I have any desire to bomb them, hurt any one or perform any other act of terrorism.

maybe it was him, but a bomber that can plant 3 bombs without anyone noticing in such a high profile location is surely able to work out when he need to get out of the way so as not to be hurt......

either way (be it him or not) there is a little term - innocent until proven guilty - that i think a few need to remember. His life will be ruined if he's innocent, all for being a muslim, if he's guilty then he will get the relevant punishment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did he - not seen that (there's so many reports its hard to keep up!) well yes perhaps its that, but still doesn't make him guilty - I've done similar in the last few days, laughing at the dumb americans that have been posting on twitter about north korea wanting revenge for pearl harbour (yes really :confused:), but doesn't mean I have any desire to bomb them, hurt any one or perform any other act of terrorism.

maybe it was him, but a bomber that can plant 3 bombs without anyone noticing in such a high profile location is surely able to work out when he need to get out of the way so as not to be hurt......

either way (be it him or not) there is a little term - innocent until proven guilty - that i think a few need to remember. His life will be ruined if he's innocent, all for being a muslim, if he's guilty then he will get the relevant punishment.
    Gosh no you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that I purely meant that perhaps because of something he wrote online or said etc maybe he has been flagged by the authorities (Which is wholly wrong IMO) , kind of reminds me of that Denzel Washington film- The Siege.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

It's like dunking `witches' in medieval times, isn't it? If she drowns, she's not a witch, if she doesn't she is a witch, in which case she's put to death.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're correct that Islam tends to prefer more spectacular attacks,..

Not that you're trying to blame an entire religion for the actions of the extremists of course ..
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    Well at least this has knocked Thatcher off the headlines

Until tomorrow..
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    The tea party movement has some historical links to Boston doesn't it. I'm sure I've heard of a Boston Tea Party.

Totally different things. The nutters in the Tea Party movements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement) named themselves after original Boston Tea Party protest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party) in the sense they are against high taxation and big government but there are no links between them and Boston. In fact, Boston is one of the most liberal cities in the US (albeit it with a puritanical twist) and it has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Gosh no you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that I purely meant that perhaps because of something he wrote online or said etc maybe he has been flagged by the authorities (Which is wholly wrong IMO) , kind of reminds me of that Denzel Washington film- The Siege.

ah I see, but yes you are right it could be something silly like that which has been blown out of proportion, i suspect its probably more of a knee jerk reaction - ohh he looks like a muslim, lets arrest him...
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    The bombing in Boston is just terrible, my thoughts are with the people who have died, and who has been injured and their friends and family's, i hope they find the people responsible soon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    News briefing should have started 8 mins ago. Should be live on BBC News website.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    News briefing

Only 2 explosive devices found yesterday

150 injured including gravely injured
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only two devices in Boston yesterday - both exploded. Some suspect packages were detonated but found to contain no explosives.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The FBI is heading the investigation. That, most likely, will make it a federal prosecution when/if they catch someone, which means the death penalty will be an option.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No unexploded bombs found. That's one story that was wrong yesterday then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No unexploded bombs found. That's one story that was wrong yesterday then.

I think the problem is that in situations like that, many things suddenly become "suspect packages" that are treated seriously by the police. Then people get wind of these, and mentally translate this to "unexploded device" then tell that to someone in the media.
    Chinese whispers.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like there is no news. No mention has been made of any suspects being detained (so far). I would guess that if they have strong suspicions, then the FBI etc, is keeping that information quiet for the time being
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.