Baby showers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OH's sister is having a baby shower, but I really don't want to go. We have been trying for a baby of our own for the past year and its really starting to get to me that we haven't been able to conceive yet, despite regular sex at the right times.

OH's family don't know we have been trying for a baby and the way I'm feeling right now, I just know I'm going to be miserable and not enjoy it, because we're having problems conceiving.

I don't know whether to just suck it up and go or tell OH's sister that we have been trying for a baby and finding it hard to be around other babies and children. I don't think she would be overly upset if I didn't go, as I think she was a little surprised that her friend invited me. She can be very opinionated and has a 'tell it how it is' attitude, which has upset me with the things she has said in the past about conceiving a child (obviously said without knowing we're trying) but at the same time, I don't want to get on the wrong side of a pregnant, hormonal woman!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    I know it will be difficult, but in all honesty I think you should suck it up and go. This baby is going to be your niece / nephew, if you can't even stand to go to the baby shower, how will you bring yourself to be around the baby when it comes?

You might feel rotten inside, but try and find a way to be happy for your OHs sister and enjoy the day - it might be playing on your mind and reminding you of what you are trying hard for, but will not going really make you feel any better?

You could tell her that you have been trying and are struggling, she might be very supportive. It took us a year to conceive our son, and everyone was very surprised because no one knew we had been trying. If you are concerned, maybe pay a visit to your doctors.

I really do think you should go to the baby shower though, it might sound harsh but bitterness will not get you anywhere :)
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    OH's sister is having a baby shower, but I really don't want to go. We have been trying for a baby of our own for the past year and its really starting to get to me that we haven't been able to conceive yet, despite regular sex at the right times.

OH's family don't know we have been trying for a baby and the way I'm feeling right now, I just know I'm going to be miserable and not enjoy it, because we're having problems conceiving.

I don't know whether to just suck it up and go or tell OH's sister that we have been trying for a baby and finding it hard to be around other babies and children. I don't think she would be overly upset if I didn't go, as I think she was a little surprised that her friend invited me. She can be very opinionated and has a 'tell it how it is' attitude, which has upset me with the things she has said in the past about conceiving a child (obviously said without knowing we're trying) but at the same time, I don't want to get on the wrong side of a pregnant, hormonal woman!

Any suggestions?

If she's like that is telling her you're trying for a baby and having difficulties the sort of thing you really want to tell her? Is it something she could blurt out (whether meaning to or not) in front of others and upset you even more?
    If at all possible try and go and smile even if through gritted teeth. Or if you really can't face it come down with a 'bug' and tell her you won't be there because you really wouldn't want her catching it in her condition. ;)
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find baby showers a bit odd. What if something goes wrong? Don't want to sound negative but not all births have a good outcome.

If you don't want to go make an excuse and say you will bring a present when the baby arrives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spimf wrote: »
    I know it will be difficult, but in all honesty I think you should suck it up and go. This baby is going to be your niece / nephew, if you can't even stand to go to the baby shower, how will you bring yourself to be around the baby when it comes?

You might feel rotten inside, but try and find a way to be happy for your OHs sister and enjoy the day - it might be playing on your mind and reminding you of what you are trying hard for, but will not going really make you feel any better?

You could tell her that you have been trying and are struggling, she might be very supportive. It took us a year to conceive our son, and everyone was very surprised because no one knew we had been trying. If you are concerned, maybe pay a visit to your doctors.

I really do think you should go to the baby shower though, it might sound harsh but bitterness will not get you anywhere :)

In all honesty, I think I would feel better not going lol! I am happy for her and the baby, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if its also the thought of travelling 60 miles round trip when I work all week to be in a house with people I barely know who all have children or babies.

The plan is to go to the doctors next month to see if they can do any tests.

If she's like that is telling her you're trying for a baby and having difficulties the sort of thing you really want to tell her? Is it something she could blurt out (whether meaning to or not) in front of others and upset you even more?
    If at all possible try and go and smile even if through gritted teeth. Or if you really can't face it come down with a 'bug' and tell her you won't be there because you really wouldn't want her catching it in her condition. ;)

I don't really want to tell them, as I want it to be a surprise but its so hard being around her when shes talking about her pregnancy, how she 'cant imagine how hard it must be getting your period every month' and glad she hasn't had any problems getting pregnant quickly. Not to mention not seeing the point of cutting back on alcohol, smoking and eating properly to help because 'it will happen when it happens'! I know she doesn't mean it intentionally as she doesn't know but doesn't make me feel any better! I was waiting to fall pregnant and tell her that its been a struggle over the past year just to shut her up, but of course that's not quite happened!

I really don't think she would be that bothered if I didn't go, as I said, I took it that she was a little surprised that I was, maybe I should stoop to her level and tell her I'm cleaning, as that's the reason she used for not coming over to our house for OH's birthday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I find baby showers a bit odd. What if something goes wrong? Don't want to sound negative but not all births have a good outcome.

If you don't want to go make an excuse and say you will bring a present when the baby arrives.

Totally agree with this, I also find them really clichéd and would tell my friends that I do not want one, because as you say, what if something terrible did happen? (God forbid it doesn't). She doesn't know what she's having and I would rather buy something for the baby when it arrives, but is it rude of me to turn up to a baby shower without a present?!
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Ah well the 60 mile trip to a woman who doesn't seem to be all too friendly with you changes my stance a bit! Haha
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    dont go to the shower - its an american affectation anyway

if you wont know anyone give that as the reason
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spimf wrote: »
    Ah well the 60 mile trip to a woman who doesn't seem to be all too friendly with you changes my stance a bit! Haha

See my dilemma?! She's really changed since having her first baby and I do find her intimidating at times and I've been with OH nearly 10 years! I do sometimes bite back or make humour of things but she has a way of making you feel like crap if you do or takes things completely the wrong way so I tend to not bother anymore and mince about it afterwards! Hence another reason for not telling her about us trying for a baby, I probably know more about conceiving than she does and she's been pregnant four times! (She's had two abortions in her earlier years)
    shmisk wrote: »

Tried that as I asked if I could bring a friend, and she said I knew MIL and a couple of friends of hers. Yes, I know of a couple of her friends but they'll know everyone else there so I'll feel like a right lemon! I'm not very good at putting myself in situations where I don't know anyone.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    ^^ i suggest a bout of diarrhoea on the day in that case!

you have my every sympathy by the way

I know how you feel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    ^^ i suggest a bout of diarrhoea on the day in that case!

you have my every sympathy by the way

I know how you feel

...and mine.
    I wouldn't go and put yourself through it. It isn't as if it is her wedding day or a Christening and I suspect the people she really wants to go are other mums and her friends.
    You may end up in corner feeling even more depressed by the guests as well as her. All the talk will be about babies and births.
    Just wish her well and think up an excuse. She doesn't sound like the sort who would be sympathetic to your sadness even if you told her.
  • John_BriggsJohn_Briggs Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I thought this was about installing a shower system for a baby.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. When I was having a baby I didn't allow anyone to buy a single thing (not even nappies) for the baby until she was born. It was a bit of a mad rush for my relatives on the day to buy clothes/car seat/pram etc etc. I know it seems odd to most people, but my mum (and ex-hubby's family) thought it was bad luck to prepare for the baby before we knew that everything went OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies, I've had a bit more of a think about it and I'm leaning more towards not going. Not soley because of the trying for a baby reason, but mainly due to the fact that I do enough driving during the week for work (to the same town that the baby shower will be in and where OH's family live). I might just explain to her those reasons, that its too much driving for me in addition to driving to work and back all week. Also, its another journey in terms of fuel costs and I'm down at least £250 this month, as my boss missed the cut off for our mileage claims, so having to really watch what I spend.

I asked OH if he thought she would be bothered and he doesn't think she would be, as she doesn't really want the baby shower herself anyway, its her friends apparently making her have it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    This. When I was having a baby I didn't allow anyone to buy a single thing (not even nappies) for the baby until she was born. It was a bit of a mad rush for my relatives on the day to buy clothes/car seat/pram etc etc. I know it seems odd to most people, but my mum (and ex-hubby's family) thought it was bad luck to prepare for the baby before we knew that everything went OK.

I agree. It was always thought to be bad luck to prepare beforehand but the cost is so huge now. Grandson number three is on his way at seven months gestation.
    We have been buying something every week, nappies, packet of wipes, socks, babygrows, vests, a cot, changing table, blankets, sheets, baby monitor and a bouncy chair so far.
    It's hard to decide at what point of the pregnancy do we relax and start getting excited?
    Our last grandson passed away half an hour before he was born. The local health visitor took most of the equipment away for her mums who needed it. So none of it was wasted anyway.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    If she didnt invite you directly she wouldnt be offended. You couldve said you already have plans that day but youll see her another time to give your present (im assuming thats what the point of the shower is!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    I agree. It was always thought to be bad luck to prepare beforehand but the cost is so huge now. Grandson number three is on his way at seven months gestation.
    We have been buying something every week, nappies, packet of wipes, socks, babygrows, vests, a cot, changing table, blankets, sheets, baby monitor and a bouncy chair so far.
    It's hard to decide at what point of the pregnancy do we relax and start getting excited?
    Our last grandson passed away half an hour before he was born. The local health visitor took most of the equipment away for her mums who needed it. So none of it was wasted anyway.

Sorry to hear about your grandson :(

He tumbleflumps,

I think if you just talk to your sister about it,She will surely understand your point.And if you simply seem absent on her day of the baby shower and make her wait and than answer her phone with a lame excuse will hurt her and you don't want to do that.
    Its better you talk to her how discomfortab you will feel to go to her baby shower
    Tt88 wrote: »
    If she didnt invite you directly she wouldnt be offended. You couldve said you already have plans that day but youll see her another time to give your present (im assuming thats what the point of the shower is!).

I think I might have to pluck up the courage and tell her I'm not going. Still don't feel comfortable telling her that we have been trying for a baby so might just say that I'm having to be careful with my money and fuel costs, as I need to have enough fuel to get to work instead of using it on a baby shower! Trouble is, we are most likely seeing her next weekend as its fathers day, do I do it now or wait until the week of the baby shower?? I wish I did say I already had plans that day, but I don't like making up plans to get out of things, in case I got caught!! :o
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I find the whole baby shower thing very odd indeed. Where has it suddenly some from? I'd never heard of any such thing until about 4 or 5 years ago
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think personally I would go for say half an hour, but let her know in advance that you have a "previous engagement" so can't stay for long. I have never been in your situation so cannot imagine how it must feel to see other people so happy about a pregnancy when you're having difficulties (the closest I have experienced is my sister recently having a miscarriage which although it was devastating for me, isn't the same as being in that type of situation yourself; however I can understand the issue of not wanting to see people being happy with a pregnancy/new baby!). However, I think it would be best to show up for a little while so she knows you care, etc. It is possible too that making the effort to go to this baby shower might help you feel a little more positive about your own troubles?

Having said that, only you can know whether you can cope with a baby shower and if you really think you couldn't stand even a short time there then you shouldn't go. You don't want to end up feeling bitter and jealous, it wouldn't do anyone any good for you to be feeling like that when people are celebrating a pregnancy!

Still I don't think I'd be too keen on a baby shower anyway. If someone close to me invited me to one I'd go, but I also find them a little weird and I don't understand why people don't wait until after the birth if they must have them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think personally I would go for say half an hour, but let her know in advance that you have a "previous engagement" so can't stay for long. I have never been in your situation so cannot imagine how it must feel to see other people so happy about a pregnancy when you're having difficulties (the closest I have experienced is my sister recently having a miscarriage which although it was devastating for me, isn't the same as being in that type of situation yourself; however I can understand the issue of not wanting to see people being happy with a pregnancy/new baby!). However, I think it would be best to show up for a little while so she knows you care, etc. It is possible too that making the effort to go to this baby shower might help you feel a little more positive about your own troubles?

Having said that, only you can know whether you can cope with a baby shower and if you really think you couldn't stand even a short time there then you shouldn't go. You don't want to end up feeling bitter and jealous, it wouldn't do anyone any good for you to be feeling like that when people are celebrating a pregnancy!

Still I don't think I'd be too keen on a baby shower anyway. If someone close to me invited me to one I'd go, but I also find them a little weird and I don't understand why people don't wait until after the birth if they must have them.

Thanks for the suggestion - if I lived closer then I would probably do this, however I don't really fancy driving 60 miles and 80 minute round trip for a brief appearance and use fuel that I need for work. If it was on say a weekday evening when I'm already in the town for work, I would pop in briefly.

I cant say that I'm not a little jealous about her being pregnant, I think its only natural to feel envious when you have been trying for a year or so and she falls pregnant at the drop of a hat, but I am pleased that we are having another baby in the family, just sucks she got there before we did! Plus it doesn't help that I'm not very good in situations where I barely know anyone. As easy as it is to say go and make friends, its not when you don't have what everyone is there for in the first place, i.e a child/baby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided not to go, text her a few hours ago explaining that I'm trying to cut down on the amount of journeys I'm doing as I'm down on money this month. Not a complete lie, I am down on money as my boss missed the cut off for mileage claims and I need my fuel for work until pay day. Might sound a bit mean, but its not like its an important occasion like a wedding or christening. If she thinks its a pi$$ poor excuse, well its up to her and I'll have to deal with the outcome if/when she replies!
  • PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have to travel to where the shower is being held during the week, how about popping and seeing her after work with a token gift. You may then be able to have quiet chat.

The problem is, as I found out after a miscarriage, is that babies are unavoidable, they're flippin' everywhere. I'm putting this badly but it's hard to avoid other people's fertility. The world goes on no matter what you're going through, as I found out.

So, if it were me I'd go and see her on the way home with a small pressie. That way your're acknowledging the event and hopefully avoiding any issues that not going may cause.

From what I've seen on tv, I don't think you'll be missing much, you can always coo over the baby when it arrives. I hope that everything works out for you.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree - with both points!