Paloma Faith's - A Perfect Contradiction (3rd album thread).

gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
Forum Member
✭✭
The singer will release 'Can't Rely on You' on February 23 as the lead single from her forthcoming third studio album A Perfect Contradiction (expected March 3).

what do people think of the new single? i'm not sold on it to be honest.:blush: i just think pharrell is becoming a bit predictable production wise (with this single being no exception). although, paloma definitely brings something different to the table through her vocals and the video is rather eye catching too.

i just adored "picking up the pieces" straight away and it was one of my favourite songs of 2012. that really was a great lead single, but i guess this is more catered for the us, where la reid has been hoping to break her since the last record. jessie j and kylie have both revealed pharrell amongst their upcoming production credits, so a lot of bandwagon jumping is becoming apparent after his successes last year and paloma just seems the latest artist to become a victim of "record company pressure".>:(

not to be too negative though, i think the direction change does sound interesting and her collaboration with plan b also sounds intriguing. so all in all, i am very much looking forward to the album, because the first two albums have been favourites of mine and no doubt, i'll probably warm to the single over the next few weeks.:blush: oh and i do really like the album title too.:D

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Paloma, no!
    This is NOT the direction she should be going in.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She knows how to name her albums such fantastic titles. :)
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I like!

Really, really like it!

Her voice is just amazing. Also, that title for the album - amazing.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredibly different and if i hadn't read before, it would of guessed instantly it was produced by Pharrell. This wouldn't sound out of place on Miley Cyrus's Bangerz album, as he produced three songs from her album which sound a bit like this.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Il Ike Paloma's music occasionally so I'm interested to hear her new material. I'm hoping that it isn't too different from her previous stuff. I'm hoping that she hasn't gone all dance/r'n'b on us,
    She knows how to name her albums such fantastic titles. :)

Yes. She does! Great album titles so far.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it doesn't reflect the entire album.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I for one love the new single, like PUP the pieces I was instantly sold, and cannot wait for the album.

Also yes, Paloma does do album titles so well,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Hopefully it doesn't reflect the entire album.

She'll alienate her core fanbase if it is:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    She'll alienate her core fanbase if it is:(

She won't alienate me, I'd rather she'd progress than stagnate. And above all no torch ballads Adele style. I for one think it's a great direction, and a really great first single.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Really loved her last album, but don't like this track at all.

90% of Pharrell and The Neptunes production all sounds the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    She won't alienate me, I'd rather she'd progress than stagnate. And above all no torch ballads Adele style. I for one think it's a great direction, and a really great first single.

I wouldn't classify a Blurred Lines knock-off with bog-standard Pharrell production as "progression" though.
    It sounds rather desperate and smacks of record label intervention as previously mentioned in this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I wouldn't classify a Blurred Lines knock-off with bog-standard Pharrell production as "progression" though.
    It sounds rather desperate and smacks of record label intervention as previously mentioned in this thread.

Yes there are similarities with other Pahrell production and I for one like it and thinks it suits her. And I like more as it gives me the impression hat like her last album this one will be different to the last and I appreciate when artists change their sounds and keep things fresh. and as for record label intervention FTG was more than guilty of that on more than a few occasions itself,.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like it on first listen, but it really has grown on me.
  • LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

I agree Hav_mor91 I love the new single and I'm excited for the new album Nikki :-)
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like it on my brief first listening but I'll give it more chances as I like her so much. I definitely hope the whole album isn't like it though!
    Forum Member
    I'm not keen on the lead single at all.

Maybe it'll grow on me.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Paloma's first album, I found her last one dull as dishwater (a bit Radio2/middle aged for me) & I LOVE her new single & new direction.

So unlike many, I prefer this new sound
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I didn't like it on my brief first listening but I'll give it more chances as I like her so much. I definitely hope the whole album isn't like it though!

that is the way i feel about it really, i do want to like it and i really do like her. i am looking forward to hearing her work with plan b though.
    boddism wrote: »
    I loved Paloma's first album, I found her last one dull as dishwater (a bit Radio2/middle aged for me) & I LOVE her new single & new direction.

So unlike many, I prefer this new sound

there was an "adult contemporary" feel to the last record, but i actually felt that sound suited her and i really loved that album. the genre can be rewarding commercially for some artists, but she is a young woman and she should be experimenting with her sound. however, i just don't know how this will connect with people that previously bought her albums more generally.

it just feels a less genuine progression compared to the change between the first and second record for me. working with the hot producer of the moment seems contrived and unnecessary, especially considering her two successful album campaigns here in the uk.

to me, it seems no coincidence that this change has come about after her unsuccessful attempt at cracking the states. in her defence, the us label should never have tried to launch her in quarter 4 over there, but they did get her some high profile promotional slots and i guess they want a return of their investment. its a shame, because if they had gone for an earlier or even a later release, i think the album would have faired much better over there.

the single is obviously geared towards the singles market, but will people buy her album on the back of this release? its a risky move for an album artist like her and i have to respect her for that. i am still hopeful the song will grow on me though and i am still looking forward to the new album regardless.:)
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the cover art for the album is very good from her once again. a great album title and a great cover, there's no denying she consistently has these bases covered.:)
  • TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her last album was incredible. Not quite sure about this song though - maybe it'll grow on me. She's a great artist so I'm sure she knows exactly what she's doing.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her album titles and covers are always so beautifully done!
    Forum Member
    I'm still not keen on the single. That said, I've been listening to her first album a lot lately. It was a beautiful debut. I'm listening to her second album at the moment. Her version of INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart" is brilliant.
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Her album titles and covers are always so beautifully done!

Absolutely.
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it, a lot

It reminds me a little of Mercy by Duffy in the chorus.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's awful. Sounds like a leftover from one of Kelis' earlier albums. It just goes nowhere and the vocal is horrible.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    It's awful. Sounds like a leftover from one of Kelis' earlier albums. It just goes nowhere and the vocal is horrible.

What's awful? The single?