Options

Jim Davidson has NOT changed!

Comments

• Options
    JJ69JJ69 Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how people are really getting desperate to turn people off Jim...it won't work...we love him!!!

What you see is what you get with him and we love it :D
  • Options
    EchoFallsEchoFalls Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Davidson has NOT changed!

Good. Why should he change he is a fantastic geezer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    What was he trying this say about Lionel that he didn't say? I thought he summed Lionel up to a T and I haven't known him 30 odd years. :confused:

I agree.

Jim didn't try to wriggle out of anything, he was spot on about Lionel.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I didn't take the comment seriously. I don't think you can fake sincerity to a house of people in close proximity AND cameras for 3 weeks.

If anyone was going to spot fakeness it'd be Luisa who is, for her faults, very shrewd. And she hasn't said anything on those lines. I've criticised Jim for his values and some occasional over-egging on the sympathy front, but I don't think he's been a fraud. When he's been nice, I think he was actually nice.

Before going into the house he openly said that in order to survive his family told him to not be himself.....
  • Options
    EchoFallsEchoFalls Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before going into the house he openly said that in order to survive his family told him to not be himself.....

You do know that he is a comedian and comedians crack jokes, right?:o
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member

But we don't know if this isn't actually him being himself and his family just misjudged how well he'd be liked for it. They may well be saying, "well bugger me, that's the Jim we know and it turns out others love him too".

I think it's conceivable he may have walked away from more conflict in the house than he would outside. I mean, Linda Lusardi his mate confirmed this, and countless others have given anecdotes of a rude aggressive Jim, eg on BBOTS and this forum. He may also have tempered some controversial views - hes had plenty in the past. But I do think it'd be hard to fake EVERYTHING, like his kindness and words of wisdom, or his good humoured acceptance of his unpopularity in there, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tissy wrote: »
    Portrayed as a saint by who?

By himself and the show (at times)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JJ69 wrote: »
    I love how people are really getting desperate to turn people off Jim...it won't work...we love him!!!

What you see is what you get
    with him and we love it :D

You obviously don't understand the way reality television works
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's played a blinder.He probably will win.He knows he's cruised to the win in the last few days.My personal opinion is he he should finish 3rd(he deserves that much for his performance and how he sucked a million or so people into believing him)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But we don't know if this isn't actually him being himself and his family just misjudged how well he'd be liked for it. They may well be saying, "well bugger me, that's the Jim we know and it turns out others love him too".

I think it's conceivable he may have walked away from more conflict in the house than he would outside. I mean, Linda Lusardi his mate confirmed this, and countless others have given anecdotes of a rude aggressive Jim, eg on BBOTS and this forum. He may also have tempered some controversial views - hes had plenty in the past. But I do think it'd be hard to fake EVERYTHING, like his kindness and words of wisdom, or his good humoured acceptance of his unpopularity in there, etc.

Hmmm, I quite agree with this, but I just feel like I would appreciate him more if he revealed his true nature, like Liz, Linda and Luisa - their genuineness for me made them endearing and beguiling to watch
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    He hasn't changed his act in 40 years.

And if he did and suddenly went all PC then it would kill his career. Why fix something that isn't broken when he can sell out theatres up and down the country? He still draws in big audiences who go to be shocked by his controversial blue style comedy. That is his act just like Chubby Brown but you have to separate an act made to make people laugh and real life. His style of comedy is very working class and that's what many including myself like about him. He doesn't try to be somebody he's not. He shoots from the lip and says things what others are too cowardly to say but would happily think it.

When I go to watch a comic I just want to be told a funny joke not like all this alternative rubbish you have today, half of which is about as funny as fart in a lift. I really hope after this he can come back to Saturday night tv because he used to make me laugh on The Generation Game and Big Break. He might be smutty at times but he's got the likeability factor.

I would sooner pay to see Jim than listen to 5 minutes of someone like Tim Minchin or half the people off live at the Apollo who I wouldn't go to see if they were appearing in my own back garden. They try so hard to be so politically correct, inoffensive and be liked by everyone. Jim just says what he feels and I prefer someone who's honest even if they do have a few outdated opinions but it's understandable that most men of his age would have outdated ways of kooking at the world. I think a lot of people his age probably do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    And if he did and suddenly went all PC then it would kill his career. Why fix something that isn't broken when he can sell out theatres up and down the country. He still draws in big audiences who go to be shocked by his controversial blue style comedy. That is his act just like Chubby Brown but you have to separate an act made to make people laugh and real life. His style of comedy is very working class and that's what many including mydelf like about him. He doesn't try to be somebody he's not. He shoots from the lip and says things what others are too cowardly to say but would happily think it.

When I go to watch a comic I just want to be told a funny joke not like all this alternative rubbish you have today, half of which is about as funny as fart in a lift. I really hope after this he can come back to Saturday night tv because he used to make me laugh on The Generation Game and Big Break. He might be smutty at times but he's got the likeability factor.

I would sooner pay to see Jim than listen to 5 minutes of someone like Tim Minchin or half the people off live at the Apollo that try so hard to be so politically correct.

Being 'politically correct' is why Jim Davidson isn't on Live at the Apollo and in CBB trying to resurrect his career. And Tim Minchin and the other performers like him are streets ahead of Jim Davidson and way more successful than him in their own right.

Besides, nobody said he should change. I quite like to dislike him. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Yes he'd have got his light entertainment career back in the mid-nineties or early noughties if he'd stopped putting on racist shows at Southend Hippodrome or whatever it was.

His routines took him off TV - that's a career setback, not something you want to hang on to.

Also if his routine where he mocks women, black people, asian people, gay people is what makes him so popular, why aren't we seeing it on Big Brother. Surely that would be the best place to showcase something so successful?
  • Options
    gemsmummygemsmummy Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dictamus wrote: »
    His real feelings have been leaking out just about the whole time.

Like he said to Luisa, if you can fake sincerity, you've got it made".

No he hasn't changed.

He was quoting Frankie Howard when he said that, and he wasn't talking about himself when he said it, he was talking about Luisa and her high handed attitude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gemsmummy wrote: »
    He was quoting Frankie Howard when he said that, and he wasn't talking about himself when he said it, he was talking about Luisa and her high handed attitude.

He was quoting George Burns and he was telling Luisa how to appeal to an audience, also to appear vulnerable.

He's a performer, he knows how to work an audience.
  • Options
    HelenbemerryHelenbemerry Posts: 5,738
    Forum Member
    Being 'politically correct' is why Jim Davidson isn't on Live at the Apollo and in CBB trying to resurrect his career. And Tim Minchin and the other performers like him are streets ahead of Jim Davidson and way more successful than him in their own right.

Jim Davidson has been a very successful comedian for 40 years so you can hardly say that people who have only been around for 13 years are more successful.

If they are still going in 40 years time, I will happily stand corrected
  • Options
    gemsmummygemsmummy Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Credit where its due for Jim's acting skills and sailing through to final and most probably winning, but I think it's incredibly awful that Big Brother celebrates characters like Jim, Evander and previous housemates like Ron, when its clear they are only covering up what they really think to win favour of the public.

It was clear tonight when Jim began talking about Lionel and then tried to wriggle out of it by trying to cover up what he was really trying to say.

I just think its one thing to appreciate what he has done for the show and the entertainment he's given us, but then going as far to fool oneself into believing he's a "changed" man or not the person the "papers want us to believe" isn't fair or justified... same goes for Dappy

But what he said about Lionel was spot on. Lionel come across as extremely camp and a huge bitch, nothing for Jim to wriggle out of.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    And if he did and suddenly went all PC then it would kill his career. Why fix something that isn't broken when he can sell out theatres up and down the country? He still draws in big audiences who go to be shocked by his controversial blue style comedy. That is his act just like Chubby Brown but you have to separate an act made to make people laugh and real life. His style of comedy is very working class and that's what many including myself like about him. He doesn't try to be somebody he's not. He shoots from the lip and says things what others are too cowardly to say but would happily think it.

I would sooner pay to see Jim than listen to 5 minutes of someone like Tim Minchin or half the people off live at the Apollo who I wouldn't go to see if they were appearing in my own back garden. They try so hard to be so politically correct, inoffensive and be liked by everyone. Jim just says what he feels and I prefer someone who's honest even if they do have a few outdated opinions but it's understandable that most men of his age would have outdated ways of kooking at the world. I think a lot of people his age probably do.

None of people I know of his age including my husband think that way. I accept that Jim does have a likeability factor, but it really is lazy to blame his views on his age. My Dad never held those views either and he would have been 23 years older than Jim.
  • Options
    Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Credit where its due for Jim's acting skills and sailing through to final and most probably winning, but I think it's incredibly awful that Big Brother celebrates characters like Jim, Evander and previous housemates like Ron, when its clear they are only covering up what they really think to win favour of the public.

It was clear tonight when Jim began talking about Lionel and then tried to wriggle out of it by trying to cover up what he was really trying to say.

I just think its one thing to appreciate what he has done for the show and the entertainment he's given us, but then going as far to fool oneself into believing he's a "changed" man or not the person the "papers want us to believe" isn't fair or justified... same goes for Dappy

And I wouldn't want him to change, like him just the way he is p, thank you very much :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if he did and suddenly went all PC then it would kill his career. Why fix something that isn't broken when he can sell out theatres up and down the country. He still draws in big audiences who go to be shocked by his controversial blue style comedy. That is his act just like Chubby Brown but you have to separate an act made to make people laugh and real life. His style of comedy is very working class and that's what many including mydelf like about him. He doesn't try to be somebody he's not. He shoots from the lip and says things what others are too cowardly to say but would happily think it.

I would sooner pay to see Jim than listen to 5 minutes of someone like Tim Minchin or half the people off live at the Apollo that try so hard to be so politically correct.

I like working class jokes..I don't care for jokes about disability.It's easy enough to make them.Is it ok?I never thought so but I took Jim as he was in the house.I don't much care for stand up comedy though.I prefer real life humor and the funny crap that comes from everyday situations,not planned routines.I get why people like him.I doubt anyone who has never experienced disability first hand would be able to just dismiss anything he said as ok.It's hard to be politically correct I'm sure but I think it works in most comedians favor these days.They can just launch it back at any critics about how "pathetic" it is and how they have no freedom of speech.Lets make a joke about it all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes he'd have got his light entertainment career back in the mid-nineties or early noughties if he'd stopped putting on racist shows at Southend Hippodrome or whatever it was.

His routines took him off TV - that's a career setback, not something you want to hang on to.

Also if his routine where he mocks women, black people, asian people, gay people is what makes him so popular, why aren't we seeing it on Big Brother. Surely that would be the best place to showcase something so successful?

Best said.
  • Options
    Ron_AndrewsRon_Andrews Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    His real feelings have been leaking out just about the whole time.

Like he said to Luisa, if you can fake sincerity, you've got it made".

No he hasn't changed.

That's simply dishonest, he was quoting Frankie Howard.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well you're entitled to your opinion as I am of mine but personally I wouldn't go and see half those new style comedians if they were appearing in my back garden. Maybe Jim is trying to resurrect his tv career but his stand-up is as strong as ever. People who pay to see his show know what to expect just like people who go to watch Chubby or other blue comedians. They go there expecting to be shocked and outraged. That's what some audiences like but were adult enough to walk away realising it's just an act made to make us laugh. There's no right or wrong jokes just funny or unfunny jokes. I think people these days try too hard to appeal to the middle class sense of humour whereas Jim is just good honest comedy for the working classes.
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member

You're like a broken record.That's his act.He has a cult following who pay to see him do those kinds of shows.If he didn't deliver he wouldn't be doing his job.Just like Chubby Brown etc.And just because he does it for a living why would he showcase it anyway.There's been dozens of singers on over the years have you seen every one of them burst into song all the time they're in there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a quote from George Burns. Frankie Howard would have been quoting George Burns.

I wonder if the reason Jim can't change his act is because his act his him. People keep claiming that Jim's racism and sexism in his act, is just that an act, and can't be used to judge his character, but stand-up comedy is actually very personal. Jokes are what you personally find funny and can be funny about. Stand-up comedy is probably the performance where people most put their personalities on show to an audience. And of course if your stand-up reflects your personality, then you aren't going to be able to do much to change your routine, because it's very hard to change your personality.

I'm sure he was gutted he lost his TV career, I don't think he'd have given that up lightly, if it was just about changing material that could be easily changed.