Options

no audio on HDMI from DVD to new TV

Got my new Sony w905 46" TV yesterday and very nice it is.
However the TV was connected up to the DVD player using SCART. That works although won't play audio through the connected speakers. (The TV/Sky does play fine through the connected speakers).

I bought a new HDMI cable on amazon and changed the SCART to that instead. There is picture but no sound. Tried 2 different HDMI ports, same issue.

Is this something I can resolve in settings (how please?)
I watch a lot of DVDs and would like them run through HDMI and my sound system.
Apologies, I'm getting older and am technically clueless.

Comments

• Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I am sure you have but just in case have you checked the MUTE button and the volume control on the DVD. If it has them.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I am sure you have but just in case have you checked the MUTE button and the volume control on the DVD. If it has them.

yes, I have. The speaker audio only plays through Sky. If I switch to Freeview or DVD there is no audio. However DVD player only has audio via the SCART so am keeping it connected via that.

Sky HD box has started going into standby while I'm watching something as well, so having a frustrating day.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    These connected speakers: What exactly are they and how are they connected?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    These connected speakers: What exactly are they and how are they connected?

Sounds rather like they are just connected to the back of the Sky box? - which would explain his problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds rather like they are just connected to the back of the Sky box? - which would explain his problems.

Cabling: yellow, white and red RCA/composite cable in the speaker box and Sky HD box. That works with audio on Sky. If I switch to freeview, it continues playing audio from the previous Sky channel that it was tuned to. No audio on DVD player other than via SCART.
    Where should I put them or do I need new cables (and if so, what?) Sorry to be thick. Last TV is from 2005 and worked with these cables / speaker system.
    New TV has 5 sockets (no yellow) - top to bottom it's green (AV2), blue (PB), red (PR), white (mono L) and red (R). thanks for any help
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Cabling: yellow, white and red RCA/composite cable in the speaker box and Sky HD box. That works with audio on Sky. If I switch to freeview, it continues playing audio from the previous Sky channel that it was tuned to. No audio on DVD player other than via SCART.
    Where should I put them or do I need new cables (and if so, what?) Sorry to be thick. Last TV is from 2005 and worked with these cables / speaker system.
    New TV has 5 sockets (no yellow) - top to bottom it's green (AV2), blue (PB), red (PR), white (mono L) and red (R). thanks for any help

Until someone; like Nigel; who really knows what they are talking about replies I will have a guess and at least bump your thread. As Nigel suspects at the moment it does not look like there is any audio link from the DVD to the separate sound system.

Simplest solution might be to just link the Sky box and the DVD to the TV by HDMI or Scart and output the audio from the TV to the 'speaker box'. I don't know how you would do that without knowing what this box is and what inputs it has. Might be helpful to post what it is.
    You would also need to set the TV to 'sound system' or 'Audio System' probably something like Home-Settings-Audio-Sound System. That option will not work until you actually have a sound system connected to the TV. NB those white and red L/R connections might just be inputs if so they could not be used to output sound from the TV.

I could be wrong and there may be better ideas.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Which is what I thought, you've got the speaker system connected only to the Sky box.

Does your TV have an earphone socket?, or an audio line output?, if so connect your speaker system to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or a SCART socket which support audio out in which case a suitable adaptor plug or lead can be used to connect to the RCA inputs on the speakers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks guys

Speaker system is this http://www.trustedreviews.com/Acoustic-Energy-Aego-M-Speakers_Peripheral_review
    On the back of the sub woofer box only red, yellow, white sockets. It's a black surround so it may be an earlier incarnation of the M range (?)

TV has a small green audio output socket. Currently don't have a cable to connect them (just have a double ended tri-colour cable). Which cable do I need if this would work? Thanks v much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks guys

Speaker system is this http://www.trustedreviews.com/Acoustic-Energy-Aego-M-Speakers_Peripheral_review
    On the back of the sub woofer box only red, yellow, white sockets.

TV has a small green audio output socket. Currently don't have a cable to connect them (just have a double ended tri-colour cable). Which cable do I need if this would work? Thanks v much.

Presumably the small green socket is a 3.5mm stereo jack socket?, if you have a pair of headphones (MP3 etc.) see if that fits.

You then just need a 3.3mm jack to two phonos lead - which is a standard and common lead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Last TV is from 2005 and worked with these cables / speaker system
    It will not have worked the way you want it if you had it connected the same as the new TV.

Tried to have a look at the specs for your TV and it does appear to have analogue audio out which would be better than the headphone out option unless you want to use the TV remote to control the volume.
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit - somewhat useless;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Until someone; like Nigel; who really knows what they are talking about replies I will have a guess and at least bump your thread. As Nigel suspects at the moment it does not look like there is any audio link from the DVD to the separate sound system.

Simplest solution might be to just link the Sky box and the DVD to the TV by HDMI or Scart and output the audio from the TV to the 'speaker box'..

Separate but related issue - I did try HDMI from the DVD player to the TV (disconnecting the AE speakers entirely) and there is no sound at all. I tried 2 of the spare HDMI sockets on TV. So connected via SCART instead which works.
    Thought the HDMI cable automatically carries video and audio? I'd really like to get the speaker audio working for DVDs. Not really bothered about anything other than films.

thanks guys
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That will be down to an option on the DVD player to send audio over HDMI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Presumably the small green socket is a 3.5mm stereo jack socket?, if you have a pair of headphones (MP3 etc.) see if that fits.

You then just need a 3.3mm jack to two phonos lead - which is a standard and common lead.

Yes, it's 3.5mm standard jack, thanks. Still only playing audio on whatever channel Sky is tuned to. No sound on freeview or DVD
    Is there a name for the cable I need as will get one online today? thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Make and model of DVD player?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    That will be down to an option on the DVD player to send audio over HDMI.

can't access menu options on the Toshiba DVD via the remote. I've tried and it won't move to the selected option. Not sure of the model of DVD player but is basic 'upscaling' cheapo from 3 years ago on amazon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From the manual you need to use the EAM button on the DVD remote
    E.A.M button (Enhanced Audio Mode)
    Use to select the sound enhancement on or off.
    3D*:
    To obtain expansive virtual surround sound effects from
    two speakers. To use this enhancement on sounds output
    from the ANALOG AUDIO OUT jacks, be sure to set
    “Digital out” to “PCM”.
    And further on it tells you to set Digital out to PCM when connecting to the TV using HDMI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BTW I was originally puzzled by the third "Centre Speaker" input on the back of the speaker system. But it is actually designed as a computer desktop system and it seems there are computer sound-cards which decode to 3.1 for output to an external system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thank you Gomezz, I'll have a go with the DVD remote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update: the lead works fine with the sound system from TV (Sky and Freeview) and from the DVD player, but the DVD remote is jammed and won't access settings so am still having to use SCART to connect the DVD player to the TV.
    The picture seems good - watched 3 episodes of Deadwood last night - but would it be appreciably better run through HDMI? Some people online say little difference?

Thanks guys for your help. I now have proper sound. The native sound from the Sony isn't that bad for a thin TV. Better than expected. Fine for news etc. But great to avoid paying extra for a soundbar for films, music etc.