Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Looking at the pics the wreckage looks rectangular. Like a house roof or something.
    It could be Tsunami debris that are all over the place.

The apparent location of the Chinese-spotted wreckage is said to be 75-100 miles away from the last Australian sighting. Experts have been saying the last sighting wreckage would move 100-150 miles so it could be the same (or part of) the same stuff.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Why would the length be smaller than the width?
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I understand debris is not always in squares.

I understand that too, but I also understand what the word 'length' means.
    noun

The measure of the greatest dimension

They have made a correction on the measurement now, but thank you for your post. Obviously debris is not always in squares.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    What on earth would be the point of taking detailed pictures across the whole of the oceans of this planet? For one thing who the hell would have time to look at the pictures? and what would they actually be looking for?

I can't help but imagine some poor guy turning up for work at U.S. Military Intelligence ...

"So Brad; first day in the new job?"
    "Yup ... really looking forward to it!"
    "Okay, for the next year we want you to study hi-res images of a 100 square mile area in the middle of the Southern Indian Ocean. You'll get a new set of images every day."
    "Huh? What should I be looking for?"
    "Em ... a more rewarding job?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I can't help but imagine some poor guy turning up for work at U.S. Military Intelligence ...

"Okay, for the next year we want you to study hi-res images of a 100 square mile area in the middle of the Southern Indian Ocean. You'll get a new set of images every day."

There will be a computer sifting through all of these images looking for regular shapes and straight lines and flagging them up for attention.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    They have made a correction on the measurement now, but thank you for your post. Obviously debris is not always in squares.

Unless it's a carpet tile ship that has sunk.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    There will be a computer sifting through all of these images looking for regular shapes and straight lines and flagging them up for attention.

Spoilsport!
    It was much funnier imagining the work experience spod having to check everything....
  • Options
    Wilton ShagpileWilton Shagpile Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Unless it's a carpet tile ship that has sunk.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    man you put the coordinates in Google Earth of the wreckage and you couldn't get any more remote.

mind you, I have found a French Island that I never knew about and some volcanoes !
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does look like the same object from the previous sat image. If this new image is recent it will obviously aid finding it much easier, but the news reports don't give a time.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D
    Some light relief is always welcome on this thread, to me anyways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are apparently weather satellites which photograph everywhere all of the time but they are quite low resolution. Even a complete plane wouldn't show up on them.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »

Of course! Image processing will do all the routine work, and the focus won't just be on straight lines and regular shapes. They'll be looking for contrasting colours or shades, unusual patterns on the surface, anomalies which repeat over time in the same area etc. etc. as these could, for example, indicate an oil slick.

The "new guy on the job" was just my twisted imagination at work! :D
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    man you put the coordinates in Google Earth of the wreckage and you couldn't get any more remote.
    Yes, very remote. 90 13 43E 44 57 29S is where it says on the new image and that is here:

http://goo.gl/maps/pwx1u (Green marker not the pink one.)
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    Are the pictures not taken routinely then?

About the only thing that routinely takes any pictures of most of the world are weather satellites, and their resolution is quite low (probably tens of meters), as they don't need to see anything smaller than a reasonable size cloud.
    Their focal point will also be set well above the ocean surface and they're probably not taking pictures more than every few minutes or a couple of times an hour.

With satellites the more resolution the bigger the camera or the smaller the area that is photographed, and the more pictures you take (or the bigger the camera), the more power and bandwidth is needed.

About the only places to routinely get snapped in highish resolution will likely be military + political installations, and known terrorist camps or suspected terrorist/military installations (although things like aircraft carrier groups are likely going to be tracked by satellites).

it's one of the reasons Google Earth tends to use pictures that are several years old, the satellites doing the mapping only pass over most of the planet to take a picture every few years, and why much of the actually good stuff from Google Earth is actually from commercial light aircraft that have been set up with cameras and taken the pictures from just a few thousand feet up (in the same way you used to be able to "buy a picture of your house from above").

*From what I've read/heard the likes of the Russians watch the Whitehouse quite closely and vice versa, as if there is unusual traffic or a vehicle known to be used by someone from a specific department arrive at an odd time it can be a sign of something going on, and thus potentially a warning that their (the Russians if they're watching the White house etc) interests may be involved, or that they might be finding something out themselves shortly (the Americans might be aware of a Russian Sub being in trouble before the Russians are if it's been shadowed by them at the time of it getting into difficulties as an example, as the Sub might not be missed until it fails to report in for it's daily check).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm post-migraine so catching up with the news and my head is not working. :(

Is this that the Chinese found in try same area Australia are searching or something else entirely? Sorry for being so dim.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    It's not as barmy as it may sound

Yes, it really is.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I'm post-migraine so catching up with the news and my head is not working. :(

Is this that the Chinese found in try same area Australia are searching or something else entirely? Sorry for being so dim.

It's apparently 75 miles south of the Australian debris but the picture was taken 2 days later so could be part of the same debris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's apparently 75 miles south of the Australian debris but the picture was taken 2 days later so could be part of the same debris.

Thank you :)

So this potentially backs up what is already thought is there, that's very close. Not sure if good news or bad :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC now have the chinese images as midday 18th march, two days after the original ones. If it should be the same object is has floated 120km in two days, a rate of 2.5km/hr which is quite a decent current.

Four days on it could be 240km away from the last sighting point if the currents are constant but at least they know the direction and I think they have current data from buoys dropped in the sea two days ago.

Furthermore since the first sighting was 8 days after the plane was lost it might have floated a massive 480km from the crash site before first being photographed. No wonder it's proving hard to find. Actually I'm not so surprised at this as the wreckage was sighted someway further south than the plane was though capable of flying on the fuel it had. It appears to have floated a long way south and west, possibly 840km in total, about the length of great britain.

Presumably something is known of the currents in this area and they'll have those satellites trained on the likely area ready for dawn tomorrow, which is pretty soon.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15 days and no plane :(

Also another China satelite image of possible debris but really I think this will be another false image lilke the first one

All this has got me thinking Malaysia has failed in aircraft security with this happening and you would think after 9/11 all airports around the world would step up security but it seems Malaysia failed on this. Also the government have failed to act on this quickly when the plane went missing. The plane may never be found and all those families will never get closure its sad
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Also another China satelite image of possible debris but really I think this will be another false image lilke the first one

All this has got me thinking Malaysia has failed in aircraft security with this happening and you would think after 9/11 all airports around the world would step up security but it seems Malaysia failed on this. Also the government have failed to act on this quickly when the plane went missing. The plane may never be found and all those families will never get closure its sad

You need to stop this now.

What part of they are passing over information they have that may be relevant don't you get?

Why has Malaysia failed aircraft safety? You do know planes crash right? Just like everything else, they can have faults. It's nothing to do with security.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you on an automated loop?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Are you on an automated loop?

:D:D
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Presumably something is known of the currents in this area and they'll have those satellites trained on the likely area ready for dawn tomorrow, which is pretty soon.

Dawn is a long way away. Perth is only 8 hours ahead of GMT so 10 pm there right now, and dawn will be even later than that in the search area as it's further west. The next significant news about the search may not happen until overnight tonight (our time) and I believe the weather is now deteriorating.
This discussion has been closed.