Is Acestream any good

snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Websites tell me that I'll get vastly improved streaming speeds using Acestream.

But I wonder -

Is it true?

Is it reliable?

Is it dodgy (this includes having to watch adverts which I don't fancy)?

Where do you get it from?

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Is it true?
    I don't know.
    Is it reliable?
    No idea.
    Is it dodgy (this includes having to watch adverts which I don't fancy)?

It doesn't appear to be dodgy but not sure, Adblock+ might take care of ads.
    Where do you get it from?

http://acestream.org/
    But I wonder -

So did I, so I downloaded it. I really only watch a bit of football when its not on Sky and I'm sure I've noticed 'Acestream' links where the bit rates seem very high compared to the likes of 'nutjob'. There is nothing to stream sport wise at the moment but I'll pop back in a few days with a verdict ..... I used to use Sopcast but don't have that any longer.
    I unticked a few things before installing.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very rarely have any problems streaming using Acestream.

The quality is always really good.
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    I very rarely have any problems streaming using Acestream.

The quality is always really good.

Thanks timboy, some of the others can get a bit blotchy and freeze now and again (often at just the wrong time :)).
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for responses. I'll be interested to hear what LION8TIGER and others think. I only have Flash to compare with. Acestream, which apparently used to be called Torrent seems to offer over 4 times normal rates.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Thanks for responses. I'll be interested to hear what LION8TIGER and others think. I only have Flash to compare with. Acestream, which apparently used to be called Torrent seems to offer over 4 times normal rates.

Torrentstream it was called.

Why not download it and use it? Surely that is the best way that you can decide if you want to keep using it?

The quality of the stream is dependent on what the original uploader is uploading at, they aren't all the same. I've seen streams running as high as at 4Mb and at as low as 800Kb.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    But what can you actually watch on this?

Is it TV shows as they are being aired? American TV? British TV? Whole channel streaming? What exactly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    acestream is great, especially for the football

Bloodzeed's streams are pretty much 720p HD quality.

Give it a whirl
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer sopcast - ive always had issues with streamtorrent or acestream, but everything does seem to be moving over to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most things I download very soon get deleted and this can take some time and trouble, hence the reason I've asked here.

So far it appears to be OK, maybe I'll try it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    I prefer sopcast - ive always had issues with streamtorrent or acestream, but everything does seem to be moving over to it.

Soppy is good, but they're moving to acestream because the channels can't be shut down centrally at the request of rights holders.
    Forum Member
    Think I'll give it a look and test out my new fibre connection that I've had for just over an hour. :D
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »

Well I tried it on my old low spec desktop and the picture was brilliant, the problem was it kept buffering. My son put it on his much higher spec laptop but the problem remained.
    I followed the instructions here and that seems to have fixed the problem, well I've just watched 10 mins of an Argentinian game with no buffering ..... looking good.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this thread: F1 is looking great! ;)
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I followed the instructions here and that seems to have fixed the problem, well I've just watched 10 mins of an Argentinian game with no buffering ..... looking good.

Ta for that. :) I watched F1 third practice last night and got a bit of buffering - next time I'll check out the settings on that page.
    Forum Member
    Acestream problems

I installed Acestream and had it running quite well (little bit of buffering).

Then of course, I had to play around with it and altered some setting that were recommended to help with the buffering.

Now I get a message that it "cannot connect to engine" and check if I have that installed.

I uneven tried a full uninstall and reinstall and it still can't find this engine ???

If I look in processes Ace_engine.exe pops up for 5 seconds then closes.

Have googled and googled and whilst some also have this problem I can find no solution.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    Fixed it!

I used "Total Uninstaller 6" to totally remove all traces of Acestream and then reinstalled it. A normal uninstall was not enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I finally got around to trying this myself and I would say it's OK, worth having, but not wonderful.

Despite searching I've failed to find any source that produces the fantatstic high def performance that it probably is capable of. Supposed high def feeds fail with buffering which isn't down to my reception capabilities.

Feeds that work are on a level with 360/480 flash player levels. I'd hoped for better but it's worh having.