Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Wow so it was the cop's husband...pretty bizarre. I knew for sure as soon as she told Susan that she could not believe she didn't know what was happening under her own roof. That was going to come back on her.

I'll have to absorb this for a bit. Watched the whole series in one day, pretty heavy.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Glad you enjoyed it, bebecat. Quite envious of you seeing it for the first time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad you enjoyed it, bebecat. Quite envious of you seeing it for the first time.

Thanks...I really did. I changed my mind a dozen times as to who did it along the way.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    bebecat wrote: »
    Thanks...I really did. I changed my mind a dozen times as to who did it along the way.

As did we all - hence the length of this thread :D
  • Options
    chimp123chimp123 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    There is going to be a second series of Broadchurch. Can't wait for this to hit TV screens.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s218/broadchurch/news/a520396/david-tennant-cast-in-broadchurch-us-remake.html

So apparently David Tennant's been cast as the lead in the US remake. Which is odd. Not in terms of Tennant's talent of course, that's not in question. But surely with a remake, the idea is to make it notably different from the original.

Unless Chibnall is writing a completely new character for DT this time around, it's just going to seem like a like-for-like copy of the UK version, only in a different location.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s218/broadchurch/news/a520396/david-tennant-cast-in-broadchurch-us-remake.html

So apparently David Tennant's been cast as the lead in the US remake. Which is odd. Not in terms of Tennant's talent of course, that's not in question. But surely with a remake, the idea is to make it notably different from the original.

Unless Chibnall is writing a completely new character for DT this time around, it's just going to seem like a like-for-like copy of the UK version, only in a different location.

The 'idea' of a remake would be down to whoever is writing, producing and paying for it.
    If you're that worried about similarities to the UK version, don't watch it, it's not really 'meant' for us anyway.
    Most of the audience for the Fox version won't have seen the UK version and won't give a flying that Tennant was in the original.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to cringe at Tennant's American accent, youtube Rex Is Not Your Lawyer.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    So apparently David Tennant's been cast as the lead in the US remake.

A remake with the original lead actor...what's the problem with just showing the original series over there? Is it that Americans would struggle to understand the "funny accents"?
  • Options
    Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looking on the start of this thread, what was all this 'one final twist' and #closure malarkey? Did I miss something at the end? I just saw a good story well wrapped up.

Didn't think the killer was obvious enough though. I know everyone wants a big twist but they're just not realistic (see Mayday for example). I'm happy with Joe as the killer but the reason was terrible and out of absolutely nowhere. If we couldn't have guessed it (including motive) then it's a cop out. I was hoping for kids got into an argument, accidental murder, Joe covered up for his son. Something like that would be fine, but instead we 180d a character into a paedo after 0 hints at it, for shock effect.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it on DVD just after Christmas but haven't had chance to watch it yet.

Seeing this thread being bumped has reminded me of the fun times we had in here speculating and discussing each episode. I am going to crack open my DVD and re watch a few episodes as this thread has put me in the mood for a re watch. :D
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it on DVD just after Christmas but haven't had chance to watch it yet.

Seeing this thread being bumped has reminded me of the fun times we had in here speculating and discussing each episode. I am going to crack open my DVD and re watch a few episodes as this thread has put me in the mood for a re watch. :D

Ah, that brings back some really good memories, this was one of the best threads I have posted on - enjoy the DVD :)
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benry_Gale wrote: »
    So looking on the start of this thread, what was all this 'one final twist' and #closure malarkey? Did I miss something at the end? I just saw a good story well wrapped up.

Didn't think the killer was obvious enough though. I know everyone wants a big twist but they're just not realistic (see Mayday for example). I'm happy with Joe as the killer but the reason was terrible and out of absolutely nowhere. If we couldn't have guessed it (including motive) then it's a cop out. I was hoping for kids got into an argument, accidental murder, Joe covered up for his son. Something like that would be fine, but instead we 180d a character into a paedo after 0 hints at it, for shock effect.

Totally agree was a ridiculous about turn for the ending - many posters on here provided far superior ones
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 'last surprise' related to the caption at the end saying that Broadchurch would return, as I think most had assumed that as it had ended so definitely that would be the end if it.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Ah, that brings back some really good memories, this was one of the best threads I have posted on - enjoy the DVD :)

I went from planning on just watching a few episodes to watching the whole thing. :D

It was good to see it again and watch out for any subtle hints that may have been there now I know the identity of the murderer.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Anyone know any details re series 2 yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Series 1 has just ended over here. I have loved every bit of it. The acting and the whole atmoshere of the series has been superb. Hopefully we'll get series 2 also, it's a must.
  • Options
    IdlecatIdlecat Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Anyone know any details re series 2 yet?

Taken from the radio times

Susanna Lazarus
    9:30 AM, 12 May 2014
    After over a year of rumours and speculation, RadioTimes.com can exclusively reveal that David Tennant and Olivia Colman will both be returning for the second series of Broadchurch.

The pair – who played crime-solving duo DI Alec Hardy and DS Ellie Miller – will be joined by Jodie Whittaker and Andrew Buchan who portrayed parents of the murdered schoolboy Danny Latimer, as well as Arthur Darvill who will reprise his role as Reverend Paul Coates.

But while the return of the local police force and Latimer family all but confirms the action will remain in Broadchurch, writer Chris Chibnall and his team are keeping silent on what will unfold when the second series hits screens.

"We're delighted Broadchurch is back in production, but we're remaining tight-lipped about how the story develops," said ITV's director of drama, Steve November. "Suffice to say Chris has delivered as always and the scripts are just as exciting as the first series."

"The reaction to Broadchurch from UK viewers has been incredible," added executive producer Jane Featherstone, "so we'd like viewers to enjoy the new series knowing as little as possible about what's to come and for the story to unfold in real time."

James Strong – who directed five episodes of series one – will also return to direct the first two instalments of the new series when filming begins in Dorset shortly. There is no word yet on whether fellow cast members Pauline Quirke, Charlotte Beaumont, Vicky McClure or Will Mellor will reprise their roles.

While it was anticipated that Colman would return to the award-winning drama, Tennant's participation had been under question after he signed up to star in the show's US remake Gracepoint opposite Breaking Bad star Anna Gunn. In the British version, his character was last seen suffering a heart attack and looked so worse for wear that Chibnall recently hinted to RadioTimes.com that his days might be numbered.

Meanwhile, Colman's DS Ellie Miller had her life ripped apart during the series finale after it emerged her husband Joe was responsible for Danny Latimer's death.

The first series of Broadchurch aired on ITV last spring and quickly gripped the nation, becoming one of the most-watched TV dramas of the year and pulling in over 9 million viewers during its series finale. The commission of a second series was revealed to fans following the final broadcast when the words "Broadchurch will return" appeared after the end
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for bringing us this good news.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s218/broadchurch/news/a572475/broadchurch-series-2-casts-torchwoods-eve-myles-marianne-jean-baptiste.html#~oETri2PaEuYrtc

Marianne Jean-Baptiste, James D'Arcy, Eve Myles, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Charlotte Rampling join the cast for the second series.

I'm intrigued.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think we need a new thread Broadchurch 2
  • Options
    Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for this!! Loved the first series. Really intrigued by what they can do with the characters next time :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It always seems like the air date for return of popular series is some big state secret...lol. Just tell us already! Same with series four of The Killing, Gracepoint, and others. They get all vague and cagey about it.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bebecat wrote: »
    It always seems like the air date for return of popular series is some big state secret...lol. Just tell us already! Same with series four of The Killing, Gracepoint, and others. They get all vague and cagey about it.

There could be two reasons for that - either they haven't actually got a firm air date just yet (after all, it hasn't even been filmed, never mind gone into post-production and thence onto a ITV screening). or they don't wish to give hand a scheduling advantage to the competition (be that the BBC, or any other commercial broadcaster vying for the same ad revenue).