Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gladysbach wrote: »
    No contest - Foyle.
    Not even mentioned...>:(
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    John Thaw :( Lovely man.
    Indeed.
    My top two would have been Morse and Poirot ( no particular order)
    Verence wrote: »
    I wonder how many people voted for Sherlock Holmes meaning the Jeremy Brett version and their votes were put together with those for the modern version??

Something similar probably happened with Miss Marple as far more people would have voted for the Joan Hickson version rather than the ITV travesty
    Good points. I was happy with about 40 of the top 50 but not in the order given.
    Good program. Not mentioned.
  • Options
    M_L_MM_L_M Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    Miss Marple for me.

But only the Joan Hickson ones
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very annoyed at these shows being trying to find the voting for weeks it is nowhere to be found makes you wonder how many people actually have voted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    i see juliet bravo was mentioned...but she wasnt a detective or am i missing something..she was a police inspector from fictional hartley wasnt she?
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M_L_M wrote: »
    But only the Joan Hickson ones

Oh yes I should have said. Only the Joan Hickson ones. Even when I think of Miss Marple it's Joan Hickson I see.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i see juliet bravo was mentioned...but she wasnt a detective or am i missing something..she was a police inspector from fictional hartley wasnt she?

Juliet Bravo was the inspector's radio call sign and not the name of the character

There were actually two female inspectors over the course of the series, however yesterday's rundown only mentioned the second one

Stephanie Turner played Inspector Jean Darblay for the first three seasons and was repalced by Anna Carteret who played Inspector Kate Longton in the last three seasons.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She wasn't a detective but Charlie Barlow was:)
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Quincy be considered a detective? If so, he was good
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I just remembered a programme I taped a few years ago. I've got loads of 'Miscellaneous' DVD;s so I don't know where it is, but it was similar to this. It was a Top 100 or Top 50 (I think) list compiled of cops from here and America. It was over 2 parts I remember that. For some reason I see Sharon Gless (in the US) and David Soul (over here) presenting it, taking it in turns to introduce the next one. But that might be just me!

I really enjoyed that one. I've watched it a few times. As it was done a few years ago - I think around 2008 but I might be wrong again! - the list wouldn't include some that were on this one.

I know there was another one done with Phil Glenister doing the narration. Maybe 2/3 years ago I think that one was called It's a Fair Cop, but again ... might be wrong! I think Gene Hunt won that one!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally:-

1) Hercule Poirot
    2) Adrian Monk
    3) Frank Columbo
    4) Sherlock Holmes
    5) Frank Drebin :)
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member

Broadchurch was in it even tho it was a 6 weeks drama show :confused: I would like to know who voted in this poll >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member

1) Hercule Poirot
    2) Adrian Monk
    3) Frank Columbo
    4) Sherlock Holmes

Oh yes ... :D
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1) Hercule Poirot
    2) Adrian Monk
    3) Frank Columbo
    4) Sherlock Holmes

Good list.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's the one. Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Broadchurch was in it even tho it was a 6 weeks drama show :confused: I would like to know who voted in this poll >:(

The people in the Ch5 offices.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is there a list of the results. I tried watching it on 5OD but t'internet dropped after an hour (dunno why), and frankly could'nt wait to start at the beginning again. Just want to see.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I liked Wycliffe (although it did put me off of ever moving to Cornwall - a bit too windy and cold!).
    Evidently there could have been more episodes/series, but during the last series, Jimmy Yuill became seriously ill with meningitis and. although he recovered, the producers would not allow him back on set owing to insurance issues.
    As a result, Jack Shepherd refused to make any more Wycliffes and the series ended rather quickly as a result.
    Shame.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Where is there a list of the results. I tried watching it on 5OD but t'internet dropped after an hour (dunno why), and frankly could'nt wait to start at the beginning again. Just want to see.

1. Sherlock Holmes and John Watson (Sherlock)
    2. Detective Columbo (Columbo)
    3. Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt (Life on Mars)
    4. Hercule Poirot (Poirot)
    5. Inspector Morse (Morse)
    6. DI Alec Hardy and DS Ellie Miller (Broadchurch)
    7. Jonathan Creek (Jonathan Creek)
    8. DI Frost (A Touch of Frost)
    9. Miss Marple (Marple)
    10. DCI Barnaby (Midsomer Murders)

I'll expand on why I picked my top five ('cos I have nothing better to do atm!)

1) Hercule Poirot - He's world class. Murderers mistake him for a dandified buffoon, but his mind is razor sharp. Hastings, Japp, and Miss Lemon are excellent support. Agatha Christie must have had a mind like a steel trap to have come up with some of those plots. The books/short stories are generally better than any tv adaptation, but I think David Suchet was great in the role. I think he is the best fictional detective so far created.

2) Adrian Monk - Tony Shalhoub deservedly won a raft of awards for this portrayal. Monk's attention to detail is off the scale, but he's also extremely vulnerable. The series became rather patchy after series five, but was always watchable. I'm actually on reading the Monk novels at the moment, and still hope for a reunion episode. Have rewatched most of episodes several times.

3) Frank Columbo - Peter Falk, superb. No car chases or gunfights. Like Poirot, he's usually perceived as a buffoon at first sight (a scruffy one this time, though). He plays a game of cat and mouse with the suspect, and often respects them.

4) Sherlock Holmes - I haven't even seen the modern Sherlock series. I've read all of the original stories, and enjoyed the Jeremy Brett portrayal. My favourite version is actually the mostly modernised one, with Holmes played by Basil Rathbone in fourteen films, and Nigel Bruce as a bumbling Watson.

5) Frank Drebin - What a guy! Like the short lived tv series best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    The people in the Ch5 offices.

I think you are right >:(
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got round to seeing this. I recorded it so I could FF through the adverts and the stuff I didn't like!
    I can't believe that Richard Poole from Death in Paradise wasn't in the list, I mean considering who WAS in the list, Jason King and Rosemary and Thyme for heavens sake!
    It was a bit weird that they only mentioned Tom Barnaby and Troy for Midsomer Murders. O.K. They had Daniel Casey who played Troy in the show, but no mention of Neil Dudgeon who may not be better than Nettles but he is the current encumbent. Seemed rude to ignore him.
    Sherlock is O.K. but I wouldn't have it at 1. Columbo is tops for me. Lewis and Morse are better. Also surprised at no Foyle as another poster mentioned.

I don't get the high placing for Broadchurch. It's not a detective series.

Ironic that when they showed Jonathan Creek they mentioned the elements which made it, were the duffle coat, windmill, magic tricks, and played down comedy and showed a clip of Maddie, all of which were missing from the last series, which is why it's rubbish now!
    A show I love but channel 5 show it sporadically, and it's only on Alibi so it's not seen much is Castle. A modern day Moonlighting crossed with Murder She Wrote, and great chemistry between Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found the April 2009 'Top of the Cops' that I recorded. 3 hours long and a lot more enjoyable than this one was. Philip Glenister is always a good narrator as well.
    With more names than were mentioned on this recent one.
    Probably because this was ITV and the latest one was Channel 5!

Gene Hunt actually didn't win like I thought, but I'm not surprised I forgot who DID win. Much as I love the programme and have all the DVD's, Bodie and Doyle winning in 2009 is a bit of a shock!
    (Columbo was 11)

Anyway, the top 10 in this one were:

10 - Jack Regan and George Carter
    9 - John Rebus
    8 - Sherlock Holmes
    7 - Christopher Foyle
    6 - Jack Frost
    5 - Endeavour Morse
    4 - Tom Barnaby
    3 - Hercule Poirot
    2 - Gene Hunt
    1 - Bodie and Doyle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you are right >:(

It is a general assumption with these sort of things if they're on 4 or 5. Specially 5! I actually remember the poll for the 2009 Top of the Cops being online, probably cos that was on ITV.
    I voted in that myself.
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My top 5 would be
    1. Sherlock
    2. Poirot
    3. Miss Marple (Joan Hickson of course)
    4. Morse
    5. Gene Hunt
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luther
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Would Quincy be considered a detective? If so, he was good

He seemed to think he was

The problem I had with Quincy that as the series went on there were more and more episodes that were preaching about some cause or other rather than just being about a criminal investigation