Netflix price rise

gothergother Posts: 14,695
Forum Member
✭✭
It seems Netflix have jumped on the bandwagon of charging more for HD content. The new plans are.
individual - 1 screen at a time SD only - £5.99p/m
Family - 2 screens at a time includes HD - £6.79P/M
premium - 4 screens at a time HD included and limited ultra HD - £8.99p/m

All plans are unlimited streaming.

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    It seems Netflix have jumped on the bandwagon of charging more for HD content. The new plans are.
    individual - 1 screen at a time SD only - £5.99p/m
    Family - 2 screens at a time includes HD - £6.79P/M
    premium - 4 screens at a time HD included and limited ultra HD - £8.99p/m

All plans are unlimited streaming.

Oddly it's only £5.99 with paypal the above options seem to show when using a credit/debit card.
  • Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These price plans don't seem to be on the website. Can you provide a link?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't seem to be the case when purchased through virgin media.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Analysts in the US have been forecasting subscription rate increases at Netflix since last year, think I read in December that one of these options would be user number/picture quality based...

ETA:
    Just been into my acccount "Streaming Plan" options and have this:
    Watch on 2 screens at the same time - £5.99 a month
    Watch on 4 screens at the same time - £8.99 a month

Nothing regarding SD/HD quality. I think that would be a big ol' shot to the foot if they introduced rates along those lines...

ETA2: Seems news hit here in January and they've been trialling things on and off with new users:
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/126133-netflix-cheaper-subscription-price-plan-tests-apply-to-uk-too-5-29-a-month
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a546072/netflix-gears-towards-three-tier-pricing-structure-for-new-members.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These price plans don't seem to be on the website. Can you provide a link?

The option vanished when i chose to pay by paypal oddly.
    Wonder if it was a glitch or something as only showing the £5.99 and £8.99 plans now.
    To confirm i was defo on the uk settings on my smart dns service too.
    Either a glitch or they are doing it on random accounts as a trial or i'm going daft lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either a glitch or they are doing it on random accounts as a trial or i'm going daft lol.

I think it says in one of those links I posted that the trial pricing schemes are being doled out to new members randomly. If it's not in one of those articles it's definitely out there, somewhere.

Along with the fact that they're supposedly in no rush to role out the new scheme.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there is only two of us we are unlikely to watched any more than one screen at a time! My husband doesn't even know how to access it! He leaves all the techie stuff to me. Not bad at nearly 78! :D
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although one screen at a time does us I'll happily pay the extra 80p/month for HD. When will they let us choose which plan we want?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Although one screen at a time does us I'll happily pay the extra 80p/month for HD. When will they let us choose which plan we want?

Going off the info in the links I posted earlier, it won't apply to existing customers for a while, though I can change my streaming plan when I log into my account to a higher bracket that gets me access to 4 screens. I'll just keep paying my £5.99 a month for everything I'm already used to...
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes im paying the norm and have netflix on 3 mobile phones xbox and a wii. But of course they are not all running at the same time lol.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Going off the info in the links I posted earlier, it won't apply to existing customers for a while, though I can change my streaming plan when I log into my account to a higher bracket that gets me access to 4 screens. I'll just keep paying my £5.99 a month for everything I'm already used to...

One thing you missed, it mentions US
    In a letter to shareholders, CEO Reed Hastings indicated a desire to roll-out pricing changes to new customers in the US

We can relax in the UK
    Despite strong growth in Europe, it was not mentioned whether Netflix will look to introduce the new pricing structure in the UK and other countries any time soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can relax in the UK

From the first link I posted:
    Netflix cheaper subscription price plan tests apply to UK too, £5.29 a month

However, Pocket-lint can confirm that the less-costly version service is also available in the UK too, at £5.29 a month rather than £5.99.

There are currently two official plans in the UK. They each allow users to access the service from multiple devices - including games consoles, Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets - with a limit on how many streams can be played simultaneously. At £5.99 a month, two streams can be played at once, pay £8.99 a month and that rises to four.

However, new users signing up in the last month - including Pocket-lint - have been offered a third option. For £5.29 a month, they can get access to the same Netflix selection as everybody else, with the vast array of ways to access it through multiple devices, but are limited to just one stream at once and the videos are presented in standard definition, rather than HD like the other price plans.

In other posts on the internet if you do a Google, as well as on here, it's already been said that the option to change pricing structure is creeping in in the UK - randomly and not wholesale. They're certainly in no rush to make the changes solid but they're popping up for new, and some existing, members to test the waters.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would welcome a lower price one screen at a time option, but would still want to have HD quality, you would have to be mad not to choose HD unless your net connection is too slow for HD streaming.

The £5.29 for one SD screen is poor value IMHO as who would compromise that much for such a tiny saving?, maybe at something like £4.49 it could work but I'm still not convinced many would want to go back to SD quality, especially since so much of Netflix's content is HD now.

I still think a one screen HD option would be really good for e.g. individual users and couples where you don't really ever need to stream to more than one device at a time, I'd be happy to pay say £4.99 pm for one HD screen at a time.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    I would welcome a lower price one screen at a time option, but would still want to have HD quality, you would have to be mad not to choose HD unless your net connection is too slow for HD streaming.

The £5.29 for one SD screen is poor value IMHO as who would compromise that much for such a tiny saving?, maybe at something like £4.49 it could work but I'm still not convinced many would want to go back to SD quality, especially since so much of Netflix's content is HD now.

I still think a one screen HD option would be really good for e.g. individual users and couples where you don't really ever need to stream to more than one device at a time, I'd be happy to pay say £4.99 pm for one HD screen at a time.

I actually think for many people the SD option would be more than fine. On most mobile devices and tablets the screen is small enough that you don't really notice that much difference between the standard HD and SD stream. If you have a device that supports SuperHD its slightly easier to notice the differnce but its only certain supported devices and not all ISP's so even if your Internet will support SuperHD.

So if most of your viewing takes place on a tablet (especially the smaller tablets) or mobile and your internet isn't that quick and you can't get SuperHD either due to device, ISP or connection speed then the money saved adds up
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Providing they keep the £5.99 tier intact (2 streams in HD simultaneously) I'm not bothered! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Providing they keep the £5.99 tier intact (2 streams in HD simultaneously) I'm not bothered! :)

That's the option that showed up as £6.79.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the option that showed up as £6.79.

There's only 2 options on my account .....£5.99 & £8.99 ... Let's hope they stay that price! :)

(BUT If they wanna fire out a cheaper £4 tier with SD then I'm all for it!) :cool:
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    There's only 2 options on my account .....£5.99 & £8.99 ... Let's hope they stay that price! :)

(BUT If they wanna fire out a cheaper £4 tier with SD then I'm all for it!) :cool:
    Document abound tonight suggesting that Netflix are planning a price increase for new customers and eventually existing customers, I'd expect a £1-2 a month increase should they go through with it.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/NFLX/3109167612x0x745654/fb5aaae0-b991-4e76-863c-3b859c8dece8/Q114%20Earnings%20Letter%204.21.14%20final.pdf
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes price rise coming before july for new members. existing members should stay on current prices for another year. what a $1-$2 comes out as over here? they will most likley round it up to the nearest pound
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Netflix don't start charging more for HD as it should slowly be accepted as the norm rather than charging more and creating a two tier streaming platform.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I'm questioning whether Netflix is worth keeping now , if the price increases I'm sure I'll be off.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes price rise coming before july for new members. existing members should stay on current prices for another year. what a $1-$2 comes out as over here? they will most likley round it up to the nearest pound

I'll have to restart my sub before July as there are still some things I want to watch on Netflix but I refuse to pay more than £5.99pm for it. Annoying though as I currently have amazon prime and Now TV movies and entertainment so if I take up Netflix now I won't get time to watch it anyway, but wait too long and I'll get stuck with the higher price. :(

Disappointing they took the easy price rise option rather than offering different tiers depending on quality/number of active screens. Wonder what their justification for it is, can't imagine Netflix struggling for money. They want to be careful, it's not like they are the only option anymore and price rises are the easiest way to deter existing and new customers....
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I got rid of Netflix ages ago. Nothing worth watching.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if the price does go up Netflix is still fantastic value. It certainly is better value than rip off Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the price does go up Netflix is still fantastic value. It certainly is better value than rip off Sky.

Existing customers won't be getting a price rise for atleast a year according to reports on the net! :) ... It's for new customers only! :)