Contender for the Ovi/Paula Award 2014

thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
Forum Member
✭✭
In 2010, my friend and I put £5 e/w on Paula and Ovi's Playing With Fire winning Eurovision, at 200/1. We won £250 each when they came 3rd!

This year, which outsiders are worth the punt?

Estonia - 100/1
Israel - 100/1

I'm tempted. Any thoughts?

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thaliafan wrote: »
    In 2010, my friend and I put £5 e/w on Paula and Ovi's Playing With Fire winning Eurovision, at 200/1. We won £250 each when they came 3rd!

This year, which outsiders are worth the punt?

Estonia - 100/1
    Israel - 100/1

I'm tempted. Any thoughts?

Israel definitely, not sure on how Estonia will do since its likely to suffer from the curse of Euphoria (undeservedly) .
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm still not sure if I know how betting words.
  • MallaryMallary Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    If I were you, I'd take Slovenia up.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put your life savings on Minsk 2015.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    I'm still not sure if I know how betting words.

Eachway bets are like putting 2 bets on in 1. In this case the first is a win bet so £5 to win at 200/1 would win you £1000 and your £5 stake back, then the 2nd bet is a £5 place bet for the song to come top 4/3 depending on betting site usually at quarter odds so 50/1 but sometimes its a fifth depending on the bookie so you get £250 plus your £5 stake. If the song wins you get £1,250 1k for the win 250 for the place and your £10 stake back but if it only places then you just get the £250 and your £5 stake back. hope that makes sense
  • thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »

Well if TEO asks that lady from his video to appear with him on stage, he will have the vote from all the male viewers.

Obviously all us gay fans will vote for him anyway being so well fit innit :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if TEO asks that lady from his video to appear with him on stage, he will have the vote from all the male viewers.

Obviously all us gay fans will vote for him anyway being so well fit innit :)

I do think Teo will do suprisingly well this year. I almost feel bad for him because everyone assumed it was a joke song (me included), and it was only when he added context to it (ie, they use the word "Cheesecake" like we do "Sweetie" or "Darling") that it made sense. It's actually a song about emasculation!

And yeah. He's pretty easy on the eye. In a *Puke* kinda way :D:D
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malta maybe
  • EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teo is great!
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won a stack on P&O in 2010 too, but got more on Italy a year later :D

My outside bets this year are on Estonia and Malta
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't advise anyone to throw away their life savings like that... :o

If you want to bet on a real outsider, I recommend Finland ;)
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'd tip Italy for a Top 10, and I'm not sure the odds reflect that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »

If you want to bet on a real outsider, I recommend Finland ;)

Why am I not surprised? :D I hope Finland do well. They're definitely in the best semi final to qualify, imo. Wouldn't surprise me either if they failed to qualify, though.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why am I not surprised? :D I hope Finland do well. They're definitely in the best semi final to qualify, imo. Wouldn't surprise me either if they failed to qualify, though.
    Thanks (for well-wishes) ;) And yeah, I probably should have used the :p smiley in my previous message instead... On the other hand, maybe best not to advocate betting on us, as I really don't want to be responsible for anyone losing their money, in case things won't go well...
  • JonahTakaluaJonahTakalua Posts: 2,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definitely go for Finland as well. Personally I love the song and I think it's really anthemic enough for people to take to it when they see it for the first time on the night.
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can currently get any other these @ 100/1

Israel
    Estonia
    Finland
    Malta
    Germany
    Poland
    Ireland
    +
    Italy are at 80/1

I'd say that any of these have value for a punt!
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Malta's certainly worth a punt each-way, I think.
  • Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Israel- little in the way of competition from other uptempo tracks. Pus she is a great singer.

Also the juries will adore Malta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shar_ds wrote: »
    You can currently get any other these @ 100/1

Israel
    Estonia
    Finland
    Malta
    Germany
    Poland
    Ireland
    +
    Italy are at 80/1

I'd say that any of these have value for a punt!

You can get Poland at 200/1 on Stan James if you just want to do a win bet way too risky even though i wouldn't rule out a Polish win
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    You can get Poland at 200/1 on Stan James if you just want to do a win bet way too risky even though i wouldn't rule out a Polish win

I'd be more likely to take a "poland doesn't qualify" bet, but can't find any odds :/
  • thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say Israel- little in the way of competition from other uptempo tracks. Pus she is a great singer.

Also the juries will adore Malta.

You're definitely right about Malta. 2nd in the jury votes, 20th in the televote :)

I think people are being unfair about Estonia being like Euphoria. Loreen was just copying Kate Bush anyway :O

I think Israel is the bet. Juries will love it (she has a strong voice), and the voters like a strong female rock ballad :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Estonia will do better than expected, especially if later on the bill. Those dance moves plus a slightly more drunk audience will do well for her! But I'm not sure it'll be enough to get her up into the top 4...