Dongle Internet Help

lindauklindauk Posts: 587
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi not to sure if i am in the right forum for this,but would really like some advice please, i need to get a internet dongle for my hubby, as he now works away from home, Thing is i have been searching reviews and they all conflict each other :confused: . so thought my best advice would come from people here who actually uses one. he isn't a big gamer and wont be downloading, its mainly for email, or poker :cool: on facebook, any advice would be appreciated thank you

Comments

• lindauklindauk Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi thanks for that, hubby is in Scotland at the minute, so will avoid Three
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lindauk wrote: »
    Hi thanks for that, hubby is in Scotland at the minute, so will avoid Three

I think you have misread Fred Smiths link, where I believe he makes reference to some of my previous posts, 3 has great signal and speeds in the West of Scotland.

I am extremely pleased with my 3 dongle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seem to be mixed reports regarding 3 mobile broadband but I've been reading various forums and blogs and there are a lot more negative comments regarding 3 than positive.
    I've used T Mobile and they were pretty good but it was my brother's dongle and it was a contract.
    I went with 02 because I didn't want any contract. The 02 signal at my brother's house and my house is weaker than T Mobile.

A contract can be a burden if the service is not up to expectations.

While in town I get 3G which is the faster broadband service but at my house in the sticks I only get 2G which is like the old dialup internet.
    One thing strange about 02 I find that after say 30 mins the pages stop coming up although I'm still connected.I have to disconnect and reconnect and then the pages come up again.

I have to have the dongle on an extensiion USB lead and near the window or sometimes I have it outside the window to get a good signal.
  • red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very pleased with my Vodafone USB mobile broadband.

Not sure what they are like in Scotland, but Vodafone does have the biggest coverage out of all the other networks. Plus they are a British company.

Have used the internet in Swindon, Uxbridge, travelling on the train and in London and it has been rock solid. Obviouly when on the train you hit the occasional black spot, but that is to be expected.

YMMV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, a few have recommended Vodafone, I have a week to get one sorted (before hubby gets home).So will check Vodafone out :)
  • sean2003sean2003 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will they be using it mostly in one location? If so it's probably a good idea to see which mobile coverage is best in the area. Does the phone they currently have show 3G coverage where they are located most of the time?

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/ allows you to see which transmitters are near in an area.

I've just recently purchased a T-Mobile Mobile Broadband dongle. Only been messing about with it at home so far - Working very well!

The T-Mobile software has some optimization settings which allows you to decrease image quality on websites to set levels. This makes pages load faster if you're willing to have lower quality images.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hubby travels up and down the country, so it`ll depend where he is at also he uses works phone a old old nokia. i am going to just get the one i thinks best for him, will try a few phone shops this week, i`ll have to get it sorted, as the way he is going on you would think it was life or death lol
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are with BT broadband is it worth getting a mobile internet dongle for laptop or just using the FON network that BT are members of.
    I see BT now also have a mobile internet dongle anyone tried.
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayCategory.do;JSESSIONID_ecommerce=JrHpzzTs1fM2hhDKWLSdrpcqlJRjM91jNvGpV2Mdwb82sh0VLF1Q!1182500602?categoryId=CON-MOBILE-R1

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they are saying that 1Gb of mobile BB usage with BT is worth £10 a month ??? :eek: