My old dog keeps collapsing

boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
Forum Member
✭✭
My poor old dog Jess is around 14 and a little patterdale and some other terrier in there mix.

She is fine in herself apart from her stiff joints which is normal for a dog of her age. A couple of days ago she got up to trot across the room to see me and stopped. She was rocking backwards and forwards and 'huffing'. She seemed to recover pretty quick and was fine for the rest of the day.

Today the same thing happened except her legs seemed to buckle one by one and she keeled over :cry: She was doing the 'huffing' again, she must have been in a lot of pain. I put her in her bed and again she seemed fine but then she got up and it happened again! After ten minutes or so of cuddles and stroking her she seemed fine again and even managed to get upstairs unaided. She's now laid in her bed looking pretty fed up with herself!

She doesn't seem to be having a seizure and seems fine, just her legs seem to be giving up :(

She's off to the vets later on today, I just hope she doesn't end up having to be put to sleep as she is still 'all there' despide being an elderly girl.

Anyone else here had this experience with an elderly dog?

I've had dogs all my life so I'm prepared for when she does eventually have to go to the kennel in the sky, but it never gets any easier does it :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Jess & what a worry for you. There's not much you can do until you've seen the vet as the symptoms you describe could mean several things. Just make sure you accurately describe to the vet what has happened to Jess & take it from there.

Fingers crossed all will be well with Jess & she's just getting a little creaky with old age. Let us know how you get on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to say I sympthaise, my dog Simon was ten and in August this year his heart mumur got worse and he kept collasping, it's very difficult to watch, although he was having trouble breathing which doesn't sound like what is happening to your dog. If you are going to vets, see what they say, I thought the end was nigh so to speak a few times but they came up with various options so it may as someone else said, be a result of her wonderful old age!
    I hope it works out positively for you :)
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Jess and poor you. It's always such a worry when they're not well and worse I think as they get older. :(

Is she on any regular pain medication at the moment? If not then that may be all she needs if it is joint related, rather than any kind of seizure. When my previous dog Taz first started having serious problems with his back legs he got a one-off steroid injection and then painkillers when needed and the improvement was amazing. I started him on Glucosamine and cod liver oil too at the recommendation of my vet.

Unfortunately the end for him did come when his back legs failed completely, but he'd been on pain medication for a couple of years at that point (and coping well up until then) so I had to make the decision based on his quality of life and the fact his pain wasn't being managed any more.
  • boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone :)
    She is off to the vets at 5.30 pm tonight.
    In reply to michelle666, Jess has been taking metacam in her food for her pain with variable effects, I don't think it does that much to help her old bones tbh. I'm thinking that the vet will give ger a painkiller/anti-inflamitory injection tonight and then get me to come back after the weekend and possibly a course of painkillers.
    I'm almost certain she's not having seizures as she is completely aware when she has fallen, she seems in pain but not distress, but her expression looks more like she's disconcerted! She's sat happily in her bed next to me right now and just got up to say hello wagging her tail but with that shamefaced expression dogs do when they feel guilty :D
    I gave her a tickle behind the ears and she 'smiled'. Dog lovers will know what I mean I'm sure!

Fingers crossed the vet can give her something to make her feel better, otherwise...:cry: It will be hard, but I can't let her suffer, it seems such a pity when there's nothing wrong with her in herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Jess is still with us :)
    Seems she's not too well though, she had a few teeth out about 4 months ago and her heart was good and strong, but now she has a bad heart murmur now, the vet thinks that this could be why she collapsed, her heart is gradually giving in :(
    She has a lump under her right jaw but it's not the gland and the vet will take a biopsy of it if it doesn't improve, she is a little anaemic looking too so blood tests are in order.

She's been put on heart medication, not entirely sure what it does (will have to Google it!) so hopefully it will help her.

So it seems a dicky ticker is what's wrong, she's also lost a kilo in weight and that's a lot when you weighed just under 10kg to start with!
    She is off to the vets in a week or so to assess how she's getting on, fingers crossed she is feeling better, I know it's not fixable and it's possible she could just keel over and drop dead one day but I'm prepared for the inevitable and just hope it's not too soon.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry about Jess, I'm afraid a weak heart is quite common in older dogs.

Let's hope the meds help.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    :( So sorry to hear about Jess' heart problem, I hope she will be okay.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old girl.

Don't feel too sorry for her as she will sense your distress and it'll make her worse.

The best thing you can do for her is behave as if nothing is wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Poor old girl.

Don't feel too sorry for her as she will sense your distress and it'll make her worse.

The best thing you can do for her is behave as if nothing is wrong.

I have been treating her exactly as normal :) I've had dogs all my life and know they pick up on what we feel, she always comes over to 'cuddle' me if I'm upset!
    She had a bit of a wobbly turn last night but seems fine today, just a little quiet. The vet has given her vetmedin, just googled it and it seems like it should help her, found this quote on their website:

Vetmedin opens up the blood vessels taking blood away from the heart, so reducing the work the heart has to do to pump blood around your dog's body.

So it sounds good and should prolong her life a bit more :)
  • CloudTheoryCloudTheory Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hey, I know this is an old post but my dog is also collapsing after having had some teeth out.. How did Jess get on please?