Why do some cats get fleas and not others?

Si's GalSi's Gal Posts: 2,358
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have three cats, and despite the fact that they regularly all curl up together and are generally sociable, only one of them ever has a regular and persistent flea problem

They all go out - but this one is super sociable and my daft neighbours all up and down the road, bless them, let him into their houses, where he apparently sleeps on their furniture and eat their cats' food.

It's got a lot worse recently - they all (the cats, not the neighbours) have regular flea treatment from the vet and flea collars, and we comb him every night and last night we got seven of the little beggars off him :eek:

The vets give them Frontline, should I be asking about Advocate given the extreme circumstances?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have only one dog who has fleas every summer - the other one never has them. Either he is tastier than she is or she moves too quick for the blighters to catch her is what we think happens ;)
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I would definitely ask for Advocate - I have been using it for the past two months. I used to find Frontline Combo was very good, but fleas seem to be becoming resistant to it now.
  • Si's GalSi's Gal Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    I would definitely ask for Advocate - I have been using it for the past two months. I used to find Frontline Combo was very good, but fleas seem to be becoming resistant to it now.

Am now freaking out - just saw random flea on carpet, and want to move....

Yuk! Horrible, horrible things!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I switched to Stronghold this summer as Frontline Combo just wasn't doing it anymore. A lot of people are saying the same about Frontline. I think the fleas have built an immunity to it.
    Stronghold and a can of Indorex for the house sorted the problem for me.
    BTW...you shouldn't use flea collars as well as spot ons :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OscarsMum wrote: »
    I switched to Stronghold this summer as Frontline Combo just wasn't doing it anymore. A lot of people are saying the same about Frontline. I think the fleas have built an immunity to it.
    Stronghold and a can of Indorex for the house sorted the problem for me.
    BTW...you shouldn't use flea collars as well as spot ons :)

I didn't know that about the flea collars and the spot ons - we've been doing it for 15 years with our cats :o

I think the resistance theory is right, this is the worst I've EVER seen it. Just in time for the central heating being turned on...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Si's Gal wrote: »
    I didn't know that about the flea collars and the spot ons - we've been doing it for 15 years with our cats :o

I think the resistance theory is right, this is the worst I've EVER seen it. Just in time for the central heating being turned on...

It's surprising how many people aren't aware of it. Having said that flea collars are a complete waste of money anyway so I'd say the chance of overdose is minimal.

I can thoroughly recommend Stronghold. It sorted my boys out within a week. It does ear mites too.
    Spraying the house is an absolute must though and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.

I feel for you hun. Been there twice in the past 12 months :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OscarsMum wrote: »
    It's surprising how many people aren't aware of it. Having said that flea collars are a complete waste of money anyway so I'd say the chance of overdose is minimal.

I can thoroughly recommend Stronghold. It sorted my boys out within a week. It does ear mites too.
    Spraying the house is an absolute must though and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.

I feel for you hun. Been there twice in the past 12 months :(

Our youngest cat (who is 10 :D ) can't wear flea collars, they took all of his skin off - I felt like a really bad mother. But I reckon we get one flea off of him a year, if that, and as I said, we comb them all regularly.

Very odd!