Options

TV Food Programmes

Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
There seem to be quite a lot of short run food programmes shown at the moment. They don’t warrent a thread each so a thought a thread for discussing all of them would be a good idea.

There is Country House Cooking Contest at 4 this afternoon. It’s hosted by John Burton Race so I’m not expecting too much.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Country House Cooking Contest looks as if it could be a replacement for Rosemary Shrager’s programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far it’s like Rosemary Shrager’s programme meets Masterchef meets Ladette to Lady. It looks as if Francis Fulford (from the F**king Fulfords) is to be a guest at the dinner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just turned it on - I do like Rosemary Shrager - but not that keen on JB Race.
    I liked Ladette to Lady - this looks like the cookery equivalent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there are only five programmes and it is very much like the Shrager one in format but without the very skilful demonstrations from Rosemary.

I was surprised to see Francis Fulford and his Mrs as guests.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only into the second programme and I’m finding it repetitive.

It’s also seeming like a Maunsel House promotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is Gemo, I think we're all a bit 'foodied' out - I love TV cooking shows but now I think there are too many, which are just rehashes of what we already have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also not that interested in watching toffs shoot birds out of the sky!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this programme is just a promotion for the house and they disguised it as a cooking programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I'm also not that interested in watching toffs shoot birds out of the sky!

Not even if one of them is Mantey :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What - the toffs, or the birds? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watching Nigel Slater’s imple suppers. Nice, simple and educatioal. He is saying how well opposites go together. He’s done sweet and sour, hot chili and cold yoghurt and hot and cold in temperature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, nothing like an 'imple' supper Gemo. ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in a rush because Masterchef was about to start. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This looks good. Today on BBC2 9.00pm

Michelin Stars – the Madness of Perfection
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anybody watching the Michelin programme.

Scallops mentioned already.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just caught this, watching live now

"In kitchens you have one of the highest drug usage" - ray blanc

lol, ray blanc reckons ramsey puts price up because he has a higher star :) i agree it makes sense, but its still funny.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    What do other Forum Members think of Market Kitchen - http://uktv.co.uk/food/homepage/sid/6136?

That comes across as a relatively straightforward, non-pretentious food programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

lol, ray blanc reckons ramsey puts price up because he has a higher star :) i agree it makes sense, but its still funny.

The most recent meal I had in a Michelin starred place was in Venice. It was quail at the Metropole, the cost €9.00. We saw the dish listed on the menu board and went for it. It was ony later we found out about the star. The food was superb.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Just watching Nigel Slater’s imple suppers. Nice, simple and educatioal. He is saying how well opposites go together. He’s done sweet and sour, hot chili and cold yoghurt and hot and cold in temperature.
    Nothing pretentious about Nigel - nothing pretentious about his recipes - just good fresh ingredients brought together by a man with a passion for food.

Not for Nigel the pursuit of a string of restaurants and the accolade of a michelin star - just good wholesome cooking anyone can accomplish.

IIRC early in the series he said I'm a cook, not a chef.

Amen to that!

His summer pudding recipe stands comparison with any I've ever tasted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Nothing pretentious about Nigel - nothing pretentious about his recipes - just good fresh ingredients brought together by a man with a passion for food.

Not for Nigel the pursuit of a string of restaurants and the accolade of a michelin star - just good wholesome cooking anyone can accomplish.

IIRC early in the series he said I'm a cook, not a chef.

Amen to that!

His summer pudding recipe stands comparison with any I've ever tasted.

Some of Jamie Oliver’s programmes seem to have the emphasis on simplicity.

When watching some Michelin style presentation I’d prefer to see a less handling even if it means a bit more messiness. Asparagus tastes the same whether it is the same length as its neighbour or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not prepare your own TV foodie programmes at home -with a videocamera and good home made, nutritious produce. Cut out the need for teleboxes altogether! ;)

Houston we have a problem...............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Why not prepare your own TV foodie programmes at home -with a videocamera and good home made, nutritious produce. Cut out the need for teleboxes altogether! ;)

Houston we have a problem...............

Spewed out wine over keyboard - you swine! :D

Only joking, close though mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alcoholism is a common theme with chefs. Had a lodger last who was a chef and whilst he was hardly ever here when he was you knew it. Always drunk and thought he would share his love of dance music with the rest of the house, in fact the rest of the street. Ended up having a confrontation and kicked him out. Thing was his girlfriend made him look good.

On a side note many chefs have awful diets which makes you question their palete. Many live on crap wages so buy cheap crap like bangers. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thediceman wrote: »
    On a side note many chefs have awful diets which makes you question their palete. Many live on crap wages so buy cheap crap like bangers. :p

My cousin is a chef on weight watchers as it happens. He cooked great food, but couldn't be bothered when he got home!
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thediceman wrote: »
    Alcoholism is a common theme with chefs. Had a lodger last who was a chef and whilst he was hardly ever here when he was you knew it. Always drunk and thought he would share his love of dance music with the rest of the house, in fact the rest of the street. Ended up having a confrontation and kicked him out. Thing was his girlfriend made him look good.

Well you know what they say - a slug of wine for the pan and one for me.;)