Vincent Tabak Trial Thread

dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
Forum Member
Was just wondering why and when this thread was removed?

It seemed to be quite controlled, with most people just discussing what was coming out in court etc. What happened?

Comments

• RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes, I just posted elsewhere to ask about it. I was keen to read it (and couldn't do so at the time I first saw it) and then couldn't find it.
  • topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to say goodbye to this thread
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I do not understand why this keeps happening on Digital Spy. Are we only to discuss things on the Showbusiness Thread. All I want to do is discuss the case of Vincent Tabak, I do not believe anyone made outrageous statements but yet again an informative thread has been deleted. If any poster does make slanderous statement, remove them and ban them from the forum, NOT delete the whole thread. It is very irritating to think that we are only "allowed" to discuss Katie Price and Co!!!!!
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not understand why this keeps happening on Digital Spy. Are we only to discuss things on the Showbusiness Thread. All I want to do is discuss the case of Vincent Tabak, I do not believe anyone made outrageous statements but yet again an informative thread has been deleted. If any poster does make slanderous statement, remove them and ban them from the forum, NOT delete the whole thread. It is very irritating to think that we are only "allowed" to discuss Katie Price and Co!!!!!

It's the law, you can be held in contempt, well the forum can.

Right now there are jurors deciding upon the evidence, they aren't allowed to see any discussion about it anywhere else outside of the court room. That means no general discussion on any broadcast medium or forum, only factual reports from people who were in court.

If jurors google the case they will be in contempt, they should be prevented from coming across things like this thread.

Those 12 men and women will carry on life as normal in the evenings and may browse the internet, the idea is that they won't fall upon discussion about the guilt or otherwise of the accused on TV, radio or online.

News reports from reporters who were in court are fine, but speculation and general discussion is not allowed.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would help if DS had a sticky thread that contained a list of subjects that aren't to be discussed and the reason next to each subject. At least that way we can be informed about why such discussion can't take place. I've no issue with that. It's the deleting and no explanation that I find frustrating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's any case from the point of the person being charged (not arrested, but charged) to the point of verdict.

During that time nobody can broadcast or 'publish' (and this is publishing) anything about the case apart from facts based upon the court case themselves from a court reporter.

If a juror reads or sees anything about the case and tells the judge that would force a possible retrial at huge public expense, on top of that in extreme circumstances somebody can be acquitted because of it.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would help if DS had a sticky thread that contained a list of subjects that aren't to be discussed and the reason next to each subject. At least that way we can be informed about why such discussion can't take place.

Clause 2.9 of DS's terms and conditions is pretty clear:
    Do not post anything relating to any ongoing or pending trial
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The good news is nobody has discussed the case so this thread should stay open to remind people they can't publish discussion of the case on a busy public forum in the middle of the trial.

12 ordinary people who browse the internet just like anyone else are deciding upon the guilt of the accused right now.

The law says we cannot publish discussion about the trial so that a fair trial can take place. The aim of the law is that the jury will only base their findings upon the facts in court and not muddy them with online, published, tv or radio discussion.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

I Totally agree with you. The thread had been going for days, no apparent problem, then suddenly it disappears. Why?? Very inconsistant.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I Totally agree with you. The thread had been going for days, no apparent problem, then suddenly it disappears. Why?? Very inconsistant.

Try discussing psychics/mediums full days worth of posts get removed fo rno reason. Other forums have amodertaor comment where posts are removed,not here. Pointless asking Forum support also,as they dont answer emails.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no need David, the answers are in this thread.

It's anything that is against the law, i.e discussing criminal cases which are at trial can be contempt of court and making allegation about people (mediums) which may or may not be true can be libel.

Everyone that is posting here is a 'publisher', it's as if you were writing it in a newspaper as far as the law is concerned. Does the law need changing? possibly, but for now that's the way it is.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Individuals can be legally responsible for their comments as well not just DS, so if you libel a celebrity you can be sued, unlikely, but possible and grounds to have it removed.
  • jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought jurors were not allowed access to ANY media during the course of their service? I can't believe they would be allowed to trawl the net at night :eek: Maybe that was just in the olden days when I was a kid and the media wasn't so relentless e.g. 80's and 90's

Anyway, looks like the forum rules are pretty clear.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjack wrote: »
    I thought jurors were not allowed access to ANY media during the course of their service?

Of course they're not meant to be looking stuff up about their case, but in practice they can't be prevented from doing so, and wouldn't be caught unless they're daft enough to admit what they've done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjack wrote: »
    I thought jurors were not allowed access to ANY media during the course of their service? I can't believe they would be allowed to trawl the net at night :eek: Maybe that was just in the olden days when I was a kid and the media wasn't so relentless e.g. 80's and 90's

Anyway, looks like the forum rules are pretty clear.

No, at the start of any trial, the jury is told not to look in the media for information about the case.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a question on court procedures: the prosecution have finished making their case and the defence are now making theirs. What happens then? Is that it, or do the prosecution get to cross examine the defence witnesses etc?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've never really followed a trial as it's happening before this one. :confused:
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    do the prosecution get to cross examine the defence witnesses etc?

Yes, they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, they do.

Thanks, so when does that happen? Is is after the defence have finished?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tabak will give evidence himself tomorrow morning.
This discussion has been closed.