Young Amelia at the end of TATM

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
Nice touch having her in it BUT older Amelia would then no longer be angry with the Dr for keeping her waiting etc (as she was in 11th hour)...so a bit confused as to how this fits in!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    And was that the "link to 11th hour" Matt was referring to? Was there a Tardis sound in that scene in 11th hour?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And was that the "link to 11th hour" Matt was referring to? Was there a Tardis sound in that scene in 11th hour?

Yes, then older Amy woke to find the TARDIS had materialised outside.
    Nice touch having her in it BUT older Amelia would then no longer be angry with the Dr for keeping her waiting etc (as she was in 11th hour)...so a bit confused as to how this fits in!!

He still kept her waiting - as she didn't get to go with him as a child. She still had to convince others he was even real.
    Forum Member
    Thanks!! It seems to make much more sense when other people explain it! :)
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    I must admit that I'm a bit confused about it too... Is the suggestion then that Amy actually knew everything that happened to her before it happened?
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I must admit that I'm a bit confused about it too... Is the suggestion then that Amy actually knew everything that happened to her before it happened?

Not as such, but she knew fairytale type stories of the types of things she'd end up doing. The Doctor going back to young Amelia and telling her that created the unwavering faith that Amy had in the Doctor, so in a way Amy was the architect all along!
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Maybe The Doctor telling young Amelia that he would return when she was grown up is the reason he never could return to her young self in the Eleventh Hour as once she knew he wouldn't come back until she was a adult it was a fixed point in time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it in a more abstract way, like it was an alternative timeline. Still, the rules of time seem to be rewritten each episode when it's convenient to the plot, so anything goes...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Also that time line never happened so how could he go bk to it ????
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I guess it was a merged version of the two timelines maybe with Amy's parents there, but not around when he landed and she was waiting etc? Good point though!
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as such, but she knew fairytale type stories of the types of things she'd end up doing. The Doctor going back to young Amelia and telling her that created the unwavering faith that Amy had in the Doctor, so in a way Amy was the architect all along!

I agree, and I will also admit that I was wrong. Him going back to her and telling her about her life to come would account for her disappointment and unwavering trust (more so than a chance encounter).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it in a more abstract way, like it was an alternative timeline. Still, the rules of time seem to be rewritten each episode when it's convenient to the plot, so anything goes...

Of course, in a way, a weird way, it was an alternative world - sort of, wasn't it - because it was the Universe with the crack and...

Or was that?

*head explodes*
  • GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    All the Doctor was doing was telling little Amy Pond to be patient. In Amy's Afterword, she asked him to: "Go to her. Tell her a story. Tell her that if she's patient, the days are coming that she'll never forget..."
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on, weren't we shown on screen at the end of Series 5 that in the rebooted Universe Amelia spent the night in bed and not out in her garden?
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    No, that was several months later.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's a big problem for me - put in for emotional/sentimental reasons but is risking playing havoc with what happened when he first met adult Amy.

No, in the original timeline it wasn't necessary, and TEH would have panned out totally differently if she had had more hope that he'd come back. Cricket bat and handcuffed to a radiator? I don't think so.
    Maybe The Doctor telling young Amelia that he would return when she was grown up is the reason he never could return to her young self in the Eleventh Hour as once she knew he wouldn't come back until she was a adult it was a fixed point in time

No because he didn't know that at the time.

Yes :(
    ddawg82 wrote: »
    Also that time line never happened so how could he go bk to it ????

Wow, bullseye :eek:
    Galadriel wrote: »
    All the Doctor was doing was telling little Amy Pond to be patient. In Amy's Afterword, she asked him to: "Go to her. Tell her a story. Tell her that if she's patient, the days are coming that she'll never forget..."

No it was far more than that - it was telling her what would happen e.g. the whale and other crucial things.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    No, in the original timeline it wasn't necessary, and TEH would have panned out totally differently if she had had more hope that he'd come back. Cricket bat and handcuffed to a radiator? I don't think so..

No, I do think so. She would still not have known that he'd take so long to come back, and that she'd have to see so many psychiatrists! That was why she used the handcuffs and cricket bat. Those stories that older Amy told the Doctor to go back and tell were necessary all along to create her hope and faith in the first place.
  • WarmijwilfWarmijwilf Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    No because he didn't know that at the time.
    No, I think what he was suggesting was the TARDIS physically couldn't go to Amy until she was ready because of the visit when the Doctor went back and told her she'd do this all after she had became a woman. Not that the Doctor KNEW he couldn't.
    Forum Member
    Just thinking...could the pictures Amelia drew (which they pan over before they show her wedding dress in the 11th hour) be linked to the Dr having come back and telling her the adventures she'd have? Hence her drawing all those pictures etc?

*I may be over-thinking this slightly ;)
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Warmijwilf wrote: »
    No, I think what he was suggesting was the TARDIS physically couldn't go to Amy until she was ready because of the visit when the Doctor went back and told her she'd do this all after she had became a woman. Not that the Doctor KNEW he couldn't.

That's it yeah the Doctor didn't know but she did so her childhood from that point on was basically time locked to him so the TARDIS took him to the earliest point in her life it could.
  • fifi_folEfifi_folE Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thinking...could the pictures Amelia drew (which they pan over before they show her wedding dress in the 11th hour) be linked to the Dr having come back and telling her the adventures she'd have? Hence her drawing all those pictures etc?

I had thought that last night but didn't post it.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can believe a being from another planet can travel the universe in a craft resembling a police box that exists in another dimension, you can believe anything he does and comes across is possible.
    Forum Member
    fifi_folE wrote: »
    I had thought that last night but didn't post it.

Glad it wasn't just me!!
    If you can believe a being from another planet can travel the universe in a craft resembling a police box that exists in another dimension, you can believe anything he does and comes across is possible.

Very true!!
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    No, I do think so. She would still not have known that he'd take so long to come back, and that she'd have to see so many psychiatrists! That was why she used the handcuffs and cricket bat. Those stories that older Amy told the Doctor to go back and tell were necessary all along to create her hope and faith in the first place.

Like I say, it wasn't necessary in the original timeline. I understand your point, but that timeline has now been wiped out, he can't go back.
    Warmijwilf wrote: »

JF was saying (or at least the post itself says) that the Doctor is going to tell Amelia that he's not coming back until she's older, and that once he's told her that it becomes a fixed point that he can't change, (not based on the Tardis, but on his unwillingness to meddle with those fixed points).

Didn't we have enough fixed/unfixed/part-fixed points for no reason last night, without having to start to invent our own too?! :eek: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tardis will not allow the Doctor to 'land' where it may possibly cross its or the Doctors timelines. This has happened many times in the past. As has been said by other people, the Tardis in The Eleventh Hour took soo long ( from Amy's point of view) to return because it simply went to the next available point where it felt safe there was no risk of contaminating time/causing a paradox. I also feel the same type of thing has been happening this series, with all the several-month long gaps between visits.

And I don't think the timeline was 'wiped out' otherwise there would be no Amy at all. The time line was rather 'mended' so that people and time etc didn't end up going through the cracks. It was the cracks that were wiped out, allowing things to progress as they should have. (well- apart from a time traveller meddling in peoples otherwise normal lives that is :p )
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member

That's a good point. Was thinking the exact same when rewatching it last night.