Options

Do you try clothes on before you buy them?

Comments

• Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I'm not really into trying things on. Shopping isn't one of my favourite things to do. I'm more of a "see it, like it, buy it, gtfo" kind of person.

Whenever something doesn't fit, I'll just get sad and stick it in the back of a closet.

You don't take it back and exchange it for a different size???

If I'm not in a hurry I'd usually try on trousers - otherwise I don't bother as they usually fit as do other items.. if they dont, I take them back
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    You don't take it back and exchange it for a different size???

If I'm not in a hurry I'd usually try on trousers - otherwise I don't bother as they usually fit as do other items.. if they dont, I take them back

No... I've never exchanged anything before. :-/

I've always wanted to do it, but I'm not sure how it works so I'm just like, meh. I hang on to the hope that one day they'll fit... maybe...
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't usually try things on, but lately I've put on a bit of weight so I do try certain trousers on from certain shops if I'm unsure of their sizing.
    Usually I can't be arsed though, and just buy them and take them back if I need to.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No... I've never exchanged anything before. :-/

I've always wanted to do it, but I'm not sure how it works so I'm just like, meh. I hang on to the hope that one day they'll fit... maybe...

Sounds a pretty pricey 'meh'! Shop web sites are sure to list their returns policies... but most will allow you to return and get a refund of something as long as its still in good condition and you have proof of purchase.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    I'm not really into trying things on. Shopping isn't one of my favourite things to do. I'm more of a "see it, like it, buy it, gtfo" kind of person.

Whenever something doesn't fit, I'll just get sad and stick it in the back of a closet.

Ha - I'm guessing you're the type with a wardrobe full of tagged clothes that have never been worn :D

I have about 8 tops with the tags still on in mine :o I'm sure I'll wear them one day....
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a guy I don't really feel the need for most items apart from suits. Mens clothes generally are pretty easy and consistent with sizing.

Must be much tougher for women.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm between sizes and have a big difference between boobs/waist/hips (think Jessica Rabbit :D:D) . Finding clothes that fit is a nightmare, I always try on before buying. If I order online I tend to order both sizes and send one back.

I ignore labels as they are so random, I have been known to purchase size 10, 12, 14 AND 16 all in the same shopping trip before(tried all clothes on prior to purchase and all fitted). Its ridiculous. Different types of clothing fits differently, and don't get me started on the difference in shop sizing. M&S is the absolute worst for it, and I now just do not buy clothes there anymore. Always a massive queue for changing rooms, and then what you've picked up is too big/small.

Argh!!!!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never on the days when I feel lazy, vain, fat or bloated. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm between sizes and have a big difference between boobs/waist/hips (think Jessica Rabbit :D:D) . Finding clothes that fit is a nightmare, I always try on before buying. If I order online I tend to order both sizes and send one back.

I ignore labels as they are so random, I have been known to purchase size 10, 12, 14 AND 16 all in the same shopping trip before(tried all clothes on prior to purchase and all fitted). Its ridiculous. Different types of clothing fits differently, and don't get me started on the difference in shop sizing. M&S is the absolute worst for it, and I now just do not buy clothes there anymore. Always a massive queue for changing rooms, and then what you've picked up is too big/small.

Argh!!!!

I feel your pain - tops for me can be anything from medium, to small, and even extra small to get a snug fit. Jeans can be anything from a 32 waist, to 34, but don't even get me started on the leg...As I'm a 'modest' height, a 30 inch leg is sometimes still too long - nowhere does a 34/29...

Shirts are either too pointy on the shoulders, too long, or too short, too tight, or too loose.

Jumpers too baggy, or too tight in the wrong places.

Nightmare sometimes!!!!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy much at M & S now because I think they've gone downhill. However you have to try on all the time in there now because various colours of the same item are made at different factories and can vary by as much as 2".
  • Options
    BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I don't like trying clothes on in shops. I mostly buy online so I can have a good cry in private when it doesn't fit :cry:

I've got a wardrobe full of unworn, tagged clothes, too.

I have a clearout now and again and put them in the charity bins.
    I know I'm in denial but I refuse to buy the next size up :o
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Being a typical bloke I seldom buy clothes, but when I do I will usually try them on just to save the hassle of taking them back later, should they not fit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. If it doesn't fit I'll return it.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeans I always try on before I buy & if the jeans are on offer say 20 quid each or two pairs for 30 quid, then I will try on both.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Not any more, no.

T-shirts, jeans, hoodies - they don't need to be tried on and that's all I wear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a typical bloke I seldom buy clothes, but when I do I will usually try them on just to save the hassle of taking them back later, should they not fit.

But then you're certainly not a "typical bloke" for your age and stage in life. :p

Perhaps some new clothes may help in your future development.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not these days! I hate shopping at the best of times, I just grab, pay and run!
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,662
    Forum Member
    Normally yes, unless I'm in a rush and know I'll be able to easily return it, in which case I might try it on at home.

You can never tell if something fits or suits you properly without first trying it on IMO.

The exception is men's business shirts which are a nightmare to try on. I normally just buy them and try them at home. They're all folded and packaged up with pins and bits of plastic and cardboard all over the place and it takes about 10 minutes to unwrap the thing to try it on! What's that all about! :mad:

If it doesn't fit its impossible to put it back as it was so I just shove it in the bag and let the shop sort it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Normally yes, unless I'm in a rush and know I'll be able to easily return it, in which case I might try it on at home.

You can never tell if something fits or suits you properly without first trying it on IMO.

The exception is men's business shirts which are a nightmare to try on. I normally just buy them and try them at home. They're all folded and packaged up with pins and bits of plastic and cardboard all over the place and it takes about 10 minutes to unwrap the thing to try it on! What's that all about! :mad:

If it doesn't fit its impossible to put it back as it was so I just shove it in the bag and let the shop sort it out.

Agreed very annoying! Luckily enough with those, most sizes seem to come up the same, so it is the one thing I'll take the 'risk' with...
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    But then you're certainly not a "typical bloke" for your age and stage in life. :p

Perhaps some new clothes may help in your future development.

I've always thought spending a lot of money on clothes was more of a girl thing.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! I have to, (when I'm at home, rather than uni) because taking things back isnt easy, as I don't live anywhere near the city centre, and range from a 6 to a 12, in everything! When I'm at uni I live a 10 minute walk from the city centre, so it's not so bad
  • Options
    owlie81owlie81 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I always try on clothes first.

I'd rather try before I buy and have the slight inconvenience of spending a few more minutes in a shop changing room than going home, finding out it doesn't fit and then having yet another chore to do later on - i.e. returning the item.

I can range in size from shop to shop - I can be a size 6 in Next and M&S and a 12 or 14 in Jane Norman or Topshop. No shops are consistent, although I've learnt which ones tend to 'size' big and small.

Trousers are the worst though. Im quite short so finding some that actually fit round the waist and the leg is a challenge - they have to be tried on. Sometimes the trouser legs are so wide I look like like a clown - ha ha!

Maybe more people would be encouraged to try on clothes in shops if they made the lighting a bit more flattering, I mean wow ,sometimes it's scary how awful that lighting can make you look :eek:
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All my clothes are from ebay or charity shops, if they don't fit or whatever I just sell them on. I'm too tight/skint to pay shop prices. I couldn't be bothered trying stuff on, all that palaver taking clothes on and off isn't my idea of a fun day out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trousers/skirts I do, because my waist size is different in every bloody shop. I usually don't bother with tops, my size there is pretty constant and I know from the style if I want go one up or one down.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    depends what it is.