Options

Breaking Amish - bunch of fakes??

soapmaniasoapmania Posts: 7,452
Forum Member
I have been really enjoying this show and was rather shocked to hear the rumours that all the people involved are apparently fakes?? Apparently Abe and Rebecca have known each other for years prior to the show, Rebecca has a baby rumoured to be Abe's.

All sorts of rumours are emerging about all the characters involved in the show and it's all very confusing, does anyone know the truth?? Are any of these people even Amish?? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny you refer to them as "characters" rather than people. I find the show really does try to exaggerate the concept and the individuals are encouraged to act up, for the sake of drama. Though overall i believe their situation is real.
  • Options
    MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I watched the first episode of this when it began showing on TLC. I thought it would be interesting enough from the adverts.

At the end though, I searched on Google, and it appears they are indeed playing roles rather than, this is their "real" life as it's happening.

2 were together and had a baby, yet in the show pretended never to have known about each other.

One had been arrested before.

One has been married before and lived outside the community (there is a mug shot online of him showing him being arrested for dom violence).

When I last looked it up, the producers had acknowledged the above, but were due to give a statement soon.

Also as far as I know, there is a second season confirmed.

I was quite disappointed too, because I thought it would have been interesting. Turns out, not so much. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    beaglemumbeaglemum Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    I feel quite fooled if thats whats really happened with this programme. Really enjoyed it & its such a shame it was all roll play rather than a true experience. Hope the producers learn the next time around or I shant be watching.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is another show set in New Jersey in a hairdressers. Someone on a US board decided to to go the salon and get their hair done. Yes the salon was there and yes the people did own it.

But the others on the show did not work there at all. They only came in for recording the series. The producers auditioned people who could preform on camera and had hairdressing and beauty experience.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this any good then? might tune in
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happens quite a lot with reality shows, especially US ones. Jeremiah is divorced also, and his ex wife alleges he beat her. I did watch this show, fundamentally because I am intrigued by the amish religion and lifestyle. When I found out about the authenticity - or lack of - and rumours about cast members, prior to the show, it viewed the show as more of a docudrama, without much fact, than a reality show. I don't watch it any more. Amish : out of order, the story of which is told from the point of view of Mose Gingerich who, after leaving the amish, helps other young people who want to do the same, is a much more factual programme. I think TLC, as a channel, is not too concerned with the reality of it's shows, rather the viewing figures. Which is fine, if you are watching solely to be entertained; TLC is an entertainment channel.
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very similiar to another reality show along the same lines of a group of young people breaking away from their strict religious upbringing - Young, Mormon & Single!! There were reports of that one being fake as well and the fact that a good percentage of them had indeed had premarital sex and drank alcohol, which is against the Mormon beliefs!!
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reality TV in make shit up shocker....!!!!
  • Options
    jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only saw the first episode, but then TLC changed the day of the show so I gave up trying to find it.