Should greyhound racing be banned?

2»

Comments

• finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We only have racing animals to race. If racing were banned then all of these animals would be destroyed. Why would anyone keep a worthless animal that could not do its job?

Greyhounds and lurchers do make great pets. They should be rehomed at the end of their working life but that working life should not be curtailed arificialy because of the hug a bunny brigade.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Rehoming is cruel? Tell that to the thousands of hounds rehomed through greyhound rescues who now enjoy a comfy couch, love and affection and the freedom to run for the sheer fun of it - not to make money.

The difficulty is that there just isn't enough homes for the thousands of dogs churned out by the racing industry. Perfectly healthy dogs disposed off because they're not fast enough, or sustain an injury or are considered too old - at 4 or 5.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17396205
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    No. It's far less cruel than horse racing. I'd be ok with banning that.
    Even less cruel is when they race hounds on the hills, they love it. They are lovely animals, bred to race so if anything rehousing them is cruel.

Don't get this point. When the greyhounds have retired and the owner has no desire to keep it any longer what would you suggest they do with it? Apart from the whole ear cutting and dumping in a ditch thing.

edit- typo
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Sorry, when was this? I didn't get the memo and went on living. I'm pretty sure it's not just me either.

I was talking about cruelty to animals, not about human race extinction, when I said 'It is happening, it has happened and it will be happening'. Keep up. :p
  • *starburst**starburst* Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Hopefully this thread will make adopting greyhounds and their treatment a bit more common knowledge for people who have no idea what happens to them behind the scenes.

I have an adopted grey and he was retired at 2 because he was knocked in a race and damaged his front leg. He was no use to the trainer after that so he was dumped in the kennels (run by the RGT)

We have had him for almost 4 years and he is the most beautiful, affection, funny, lazy and adoring dog I have ever met, despite how he was beaten when racing. It took almost a year for him to be in the same room as a man, he was petrified of them. I can only presume the level of abuse was quite horrific. If I use a mop or a brush around him he still cowers and runs to hide, despite having the most loving home he could ever wish for.

Before I got him I did a lot of research into them, their breed and their ways and sadly google also brought up lots of horrendous stories/images/videos that I tried to avoid, but evidently witness some things that I cannot unsee! I think due to their trusting nature, they will still remain loyal to those who treat them badly.

I donate regularly to the RGT, buy their merchandise, spread their work through my own Facebook account, and hope that one day they will be treated with the grace, dignity and respect that they so deserve.

Sadly I feel that if the race tracks were closed down, the sport would go "underground" and be less monitored than it is now, with the treatment becoming worse and more barbaric (if that's possible) :cry:

One day - when my numbers come in - I will run my own sanctuary for these amazing dogs, and they can run free and live like kings !!! :):)
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    That's my concern too starburst. At best all we can hope for is raising awareness, tightening up regulations and working with trainers in the hope they'll hand the hounds over to rescue once they're no longer of use. A limit on the numbers being bred/owned would help.

I love my wee rescue whippet and continue to be involved in raising awareness and fundraising for sighthound rescues. The majority of them are volunteers and rely on public funding for the feeding and the vet care the dogs so desperately need.
  • Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an owner of 2 greys and a lurcher I can say they make the best pets ever
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean Dare wrote: »
    As an owner of 2 greys and a lurcher I can say they make the best pets ever

Spot on. They are just lovely