Nigel and Adam's Farm Kitchen, BBC1&HD 8pm, 4 eps from 20 Nov

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The genius schedulers at the Beeb have put this up against Masterchef: The Professionals, so I guess most foodie fans will be recording it as the Masterchef thread will be more fun!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01k6r9v

Nigel Slater and Adam Henson join forces to sow, grow, rear and cook Britain's favourite foods, from a working farm in the Cotswolds.

Radio Times http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cqbdnc/nigel-and-adams-farm-kitchen--series-1---episode-1
Gloucestershire Echo preview http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/TV-pair-trace-journey-farm-fork-BBC/story-20056384-detail/story.html#axzz2l9wCISMq

Comments

• Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this was more fun than dreary Masterchef! Nigel driving a Combine harvester, and milking cows? Priceless!

Nigel does real food, and the farming aspect was interesting. Adam and Nigel have quite a good double act going on!

Recipes were yummy. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just catching up with it. Nigel cuddling a piglet!

I think he's my favourite TV chef. His book - Toast - and the BBC dramatisation of it - brilliant.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it.

As I live in The Shire I know many of the places used in the filming including Shipton Mill, which is lovely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On BBC One, Nigel Slater and Adam Henson's new series Farm Kitchen cooked up 4.59m (19.9%) at 8pm.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a532832/im-a-celebrity-dips-to-95-million-on-wednesday.html#ixzz2lJ2Iqvna
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If people thought Jamie Oliver was taking the P about his leftover dishes then making 20 portions of lasanga must top it.
    Forum Member
    The genius schedulers at the Beeb have put this up against Masterchef: The Professionals, so I guess most foodie fans will be recording it as the Masterchef thread will be more fun!

Some people don't watch or care about MC. I've never watched it.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Some people don't watch or care about MC. I've never watched it.

Me neither, mainly as can't stand either of the presenters, Wallace primarily.

I'll watch anything with Nigel Slater in it though, he's a great cook and always very watchable. I enjoyed the first episode of this, but not sure about the 'Grizzly Adams' look that Nigel's adopted for this.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Me neither, mainly as can't stand either of the presenters, Wallace primarily.

I'll watch anything with Nigel Slater in it though, he's a great cook and always very watchable. I enjoyed the first episode of this, but not sure about the 'Grizzly Adams' look that Nigel's adopted for this.

^^ not to mention all of Nigel's hair going into the dishes ugh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Times
    "In the second edition, Nigel Slater and Adam Henson aim to reintroduce the notion of seasonality, something that has largely disappeared now that imports and technology mean people can buy what they want all year round. They use spring lamb, a meat that has become increasingly expensive over the years, with Nigel rescuing the cheaper cuts to show they can be just as tasty. "
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,702
    Forum Member
    I'm quite liking the programme but struggling as it's terribly out of sync with the season :rolleyes:
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemed a bit homoerotic when the working lads came up to the barn door for Nige's burgers.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    That bread and butter pudding looks wonderful!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catching up now. I'll definitely try his lamb burger recipe - looks great.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lamb_burgers_69009
    Not sure about the sheeps cheese though ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    I'm quite liking the programme but struggling as it's terribly out of sync with the season :rolleyes:

Yes, we'll have to remember all these recipes next summer.:D

Where were the apple and pear recipes for the harvest feast? Unless harvest has been brought forward to strawberry season?

Nigel gets quite flirty with Adam sometimes. Really funny to watch. I love this programme.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from ratings thread - rated 8th:
    1	I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!	ITV	21:00	8725000
    2	Coronation Street	ITV	19:30	8447000
    3	Emmerdale	ITV	19:00	6895000
    4	Regional News and Weather	BBC1 Inc HD	18:30	5398000
    5	BBC News at Six	BBC1 Inc HD	18:00	5112000
    6	Pointless	BBC1 Inc HD	17:15	4319000
    7	The One Show	BBC1 Inc HD	19:00	3855000
    [B]8	Nigel and Adam's Farm Kitchen	BBC1 Inc HD	20:00	3659000[/B]
    9	ITV News & Weather	ITV	18:30	3636000
    10	BBC News at Ten	BBC1 Inc HD	22:00	3585000

Forum Member
    Last week he challenged the farmer to grow durum wheat, which he said may be a problem to grow but actually worked perfectly.

Why is it a challenge to grow 'standard' wheat so he can make his own bread?

What is the stupid gimmick of Slater spying on the public?
    Does he think that if he asks the questions the public will lie?
    Why not just do the voice over or his responses later on?

I wonder when they were talking about cuts the regions eat and how much mince is used if they took into account the donner kebab? :D
    Forum Member
    Slater isn't a fan of cans?
    or tinned tuna? I suspect he's got those expensive tins of top quality Spanish tuna in his cupboard ;)
    There's lots of artisan food in tins & jars these days, not just the cheap staples.

Also not sure about his point about the different types of tuna.
    Just before the taste test the fishmonger said that the chunks and flakes are from the same fish, so even line caught tuna can be made into flakes.

Sandwiches may be the main vehicle for tuna but pasta and salads are also popular so tuna steaks or decent chunks would be preferrable for those.

And I think most people buy it in brine because of habit.
    They've probably grown up with it and don't see the point of buying it in olive oil or spring water which are usually more expensive. Again, for pasta or salads non-brined tuna may be preferrable.
    Forum Member
    Apparently tomatoes thrive quite well when grown in sewage, although i'm not sure how people would take to eating them? :D

Just thinking about all those skins in that soup/stew would put me off.

They should have done the bread first. They then could have shown it used for the bread & butter pudding and the lamb burgers.

With the potatoes i'm adding skinned whole hazelnuts - as it shows him chopping them up :confused:

That's the commentary done for this episode :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    ^^ not to mention all of Nigel's hair going into the dishes ugh

I am a big Adam Henson fan but I am having real difficulty watching the top of Nigel's head as he shakes his hair into the food. Shame because it would be a god series otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to record I made Nigel's lamb burger recipe and it was great. Used mature cheddar instead of the sheep cheese though.
  • LancslassLancslass Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Interesting programme but why does Nigel Slater look such a tramp.
    He was always a bit scruffy, but now he looks grubby!
    Lose the beard, at least tie or cover the hair, and have a WASH
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lancslass wrote: »
    Interesting programme but why does Nigel Slater look such a tramp.
    He was always a bit scruffy, but now he looks grubby!
    Lose the beard, at least tie or cover the hair, and have a WASH

Some of us (well, one of us (me)) like Nigel's scruffy look.;)
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Apparently tomatoes thrive quite well when grown in sewage, although i'm not sure how people would take to eating them? :D

Just thinking about all those skins in that soup/stew would put me off.

They should have done the bread first. They then could have shown it used for the bread & butter pudding and the lamb burgers.

With the potatoes i'm adding skinned whole hazelnuts - as it shows him chopping them up :confused:

That's the commentary done for this episode :p

I went on a tour of a sewage works years ago, he guy giving the tour said they grew the best tomatoes in the county, something I've never forgotten! :D
    Forum Member
    I bet he doesn't tell people he feeds them to until afterwards :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry this programme's ended. I would have liked a Christmas edition. :)

It's never failed to interest me, make me say "yum" at the recipes, and smile at Nigel and Adam's banter.

The only thing I have disliked is Cameron getting in on the act. What did he spend on the Children in Need stall? A fiver? Cheapskate!