✭✭✭
Autumn Statement: Chancellor of the Exchequer

BBC2 10:45 - 2:00
BBC News 10:45 - 2:00
BBC Parliament: 11:15 - 1:15
BBC Radio 5 Live: 11:20 - 2:00

Guardian: Live BLog Iincludes TV Feed)
Telegraph: Live Blog (includes TV feed)

May as well have a thread for this. At the time of writing the news appears to be less about what George is going to say as IDS trying to bury bad news.

If you're in the mood, you can download your George Osborne Bingo Sheet here.

Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see after 93 years the car tax disc is to be abandoned and you can pay by monthly DD which costs 5% more.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I see after 93 years the car tax disc is to be abandoned and you can pay by monthly DD which costs 5% more.

Guessing that won't go down too well with the less well off who won't be able to afford the yearly or 6 monthly bill as a one off payment.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osbourne says retirement age will increase to 68. I wonder how long before it increases to 75, or 80, or 90, or ...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you currently pay for your road tax 6 months at a time then you already pay 10% more than the annual rate so switching to a monthly payment will be cheaper for you.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a pointless exercise- is there anything left to say by Osborne that hasn't already surfaced via press briefings, the 'National Infrastructure Plan'etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If you currently pay for your road tax 6 months at a time then you already pay 10% more than the annual rate so switching to a monthly payment will be cheaper for you.

I know and unless you can't afford to financially it is better to pay the full year cost up front as you'll never get 5% let alone 10% interest on the money you save over the time period involved. Apparently it is expected the 10% for paying in two installments will reduce to 5%.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well just to show how poor everyone now feels, a young man asked about this on TV a few minutes ago said that things have got so bad that it is affecting the number of times he can go abroad on holiday every year.

Something has to be done.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a pointless exercise- is there anything left to say by Osborne that hasn't already surfaced via press briefings, the 'National Infrastructure Plan'etc?

I think he does it just to rub Bercow up the wrong way. I'm surprised he hasn't taken to Twitter to announce it all.

I'm guessing he'll have some topics he hasn't yet announced, otherwise Ed. B can pretty much read straight from his script.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems a pointless exercise

It will save the DVLA time and money as they'll no longer have to post them. I'm sure the money will then be spent on filling in more potholes. (missing rolleyes smiley which is now it appears considered inappropriate by DS)
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm there wasn't a double-dip recession after all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Balls seems strangely quiet.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very good news on deficit reduction.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty positive news so far. The economic plan is clearly working, they just have to find ways to get more disposable income in people's pockets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will save the DVLA time and money as they'll no longer have to post them. I'm sure the money will then be spent on filling in more potholes. (missing rolleyes smiley which is now it appears considered inappropriate by DS)

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good news on structural deficit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    Pretty positive news so far. The economic plan is clearly working, they just have to find ways to get more disposable income in people's pockets.

The recovery won't be felt in people's pockets until pay starts to go up (my last 4 pay rises have been 0%, 0%, 2% and 0%) but that starts to be possible as the economy improves.

The problem then is the prospect of Labour winning in 2015, inheriting a growing economy and then screw it up again.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mines £30 pa, so that's.....£2.50 pm (plus the 12.5p surcharge).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh joy the council tax frozen again for next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mines £30 pa, so that's.....£2.50 pm (plus the 12.5p surcharge).

Mine used to be £165 and now it's £10. A huge saving.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Osbourne says retirement age will increase to 68. I wonder how long before it increases to 75, or 80, or 90, or ...

Could they make it 42 for Chancellors and 47 for Prime Ministers, please?
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    If pensions and jsa is excluded from the total welfare cap, that means single and working parents, the disabled, and people who need help with their rent are going to have one hell of a squeeze coming up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wonga.com supports DVLA!;-)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i'm not surprised that balls is quiet.

it's too complicated for him. they're all about headline grabbing policy shit.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

to be fair you have always paid more for a 6 month tax disk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If pensions and jsa is excluded from the total welfare cap, that means single and working parents, the disabled, and people who need help with their rent are going to have one hell of a squeeze coming up.

Afaik JSA is one of the benefits included when calculating the benefits cap which applies to those aged 16-64.