Cream cakes at work

exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
Forum Member
Several years ago I worked at a place where it was the done thing to buy cream cakes for colleagues when it was your birthday, does it happen at your place and if so do you buy them?

Comments

• Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    We only have cakes in here for a significant birthday. And a lot of people don't even let on when it's their birthday.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I have learned from places I worked at in the past where there are lots of women: you have to get in early, because any available cream cakes, sweets or chocolates are usually scoffed down in record breaking time.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get office cakes all the time.

It was a big box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts last week.
  • hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, we buy cakes or something when it's our birthdays, some people don't bother, but the majority do.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    We do that here....

Whenever it is someone's birthday, an email is sent out by the birthday person stating 'Birthday treats in Kitchen'.

Suffice to say - they rarely last more than an hour....!!!
    :D
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, everyone here brings in cakes, doughnuts etc when it's their birthday as well as other occasions... People come up with all sorts of excuses to bring them in and put out a "global" email with the reason...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone baked their own cake a few years back and brought that in.

Half the office was off sick the next day with stomach gripes.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We bring sweets in after holidays and cakes or other treats as and when. There's no obligation. The birthday person gets a card signed by the office, but anyone can opt out of their own birthday thing if they want. It's fairly free and easy on that front.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    We get office cakes all the time.

It was a big box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts last week.

yeah, we have KK on a regular basis.... and we definitely have them for sprint reviews.

In fact thinking about it, its rare NOT to have some kind of cake/doughnuts available for munching.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and we do it with a Greggs run :) day off today so am happy it's not anyones birthday and I don't miss out.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    No one ever does anything like that at our work. I'd love them to!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    No one ever does anything like that at our work. I'd love them to!

You could start a new trend. Pretend it's your birthday, go out and buy loads of cakes. You know you want too.
  • StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They dont even need a reason where I work - everyday someone brings sweets, biscuits & cakes in!!

Being on a diet where I work is near on impossible LOL
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    They dont even need a reason where I work - everyday someone brings sweets, biscuits & cakes in!!

Same here, we have cakes on birthdays, special occasions, or just when someone saw some while shopping and thought what the hell. The last month or so has been pretty cake heavy because of birthdays and leaving do's and we've had nothing this week, not even a pack of biscuits. I was getting pretty good at moderating how many cakes or biscuits I had but now I'm having withdrawal symptoms :cry::p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We generally only get cake when it's someone's birthday. There are instances when someone will bring in a cake for other reasons, but that hardly ever happens.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I moved to the Midlands years ago, I found it most odd that you were expected to buy cream cakes on your birthday for colleagues. I thought it was a midlands thing actually.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at both my work places the person whose birthday it is brings in cakes/sweets/treats etc, occasionally we might get samosas. There has been chocolates at Easter and xmas as well but normally smaller amounts. My old place was a sight, grown women descending into vultures whenever the birthday treats came out, mildly amusing though because these were the same women kidding themselves they were on diets
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    We often have cakes and biscuits for our monthly extended team meetings. On valentines day my manager bought our team a box full of different delicious favoured macaroons.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly the same for me.

There's always cake or cupcakes about for no reason. Everyone's drawers are full of chocolate and chips as well - it's a free for all.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son works for an American company and they provide all sorts of extras for staff. Good month and they all get buffet lunch or fish and chips or pizzas. I think it was international women's day and all the females got wine and chocolates, likewise other events and staff get treats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    at both my work places the person whose birthday it is brings in cakes/sweets/treats etc, occasionally we might get samosas. There has been chocolates at Easter and xmas as well but normally smaller amounts. My old place was a sight, grown women descending into vultures whenever the birthday treats came out, mildly amusing though because these were the same women kidding themselves they were on diets

Its well known that birthday cakes contain zero calories, less than zero if eaten standing up.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't work on my birthday.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Someone baked their own cake a few years back and brought that in.

Half the office was off sick the next day with stomach gripes.

They do say revenge is best served cold.

Mind you they seemed to go like hot cakes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't work on my birthday.

I don't work on my birthday either.. I always take a day off... this year I took a longer break because it was a "significant" number... apparently
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Its well known that birthday cakes contain zero calories, less than zero if eaten standing up.

The same way that:

* Comfort food contains no calories.
    * You eat around the hole in ring donuts as it's the hole that contains all the calories.