Options

Pub Hours hours extened for World Cup

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
Licensing laws will be relaxed during the World Cup to allow pubs to stay open late during some England matches, the Home Office has said. Pubs and bars will be allowed to open until 01:00 BST when England matches kick-off at 20:00 BST or later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26821767

While this should bring in some extra income to some pubs, it could mean the need for more police in certain areas.

Who is for this & who is against the longer hours ?

Comments

• Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I'm generally against people having fun and enjoying themselves so I say against.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    So for the group stages then :D
  • Options
    JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to live near a pub so I don't think it will be great for those that still do

Besides the usual revving of cars and the loud voices /shouting, it's the flashing blue lights from the police that are the biggest pain

Luckily I don't live there anymore. It wasn't much fun
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be open 24 hours a day imo

It's London!

It will create more jobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I'll probably be down the pub cheering with the rest (and even when they're not as I won't be banking on England's victory for obvious reasons) I'm all for it. Obviously, I am aware of the need for a stronger police presence as there will undoubtedly be more drunken idiots about, but my local is generally very friendly and even though many of the locals have a tendency to get completely pissed, we seldom have outbreaks of violence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    I'm generally against people having fun and enjoying themselves so I say against.

waiting for this from you and you didn't let me down :D:D:D
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is primarily cos England's group game with Italy kicks off at 11pm... Aside from this fixture I'm not sure there'll weeks of rampant drinking.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that pubs could open 24 hours a day anyway if they wished.

Several pubs near me open until 1 am everyday and most open until at least 1am and often later at the weekends.
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought pubs were allowed open until 1am anyway? They are norf of the border.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Several pubs near me open until 1 am everyday and most open until at least 1am and often later at the weekends.
    I don't know if this new thing is different but previously pubs had to apply to stay open longer and what they wanted from the government/councils was the choice to stay open during the world cup without having to apply for a specific license.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They already were allowed to, it's the government that stopped it, now they want us all to say thanks for not stopping it and letting go on what was already allowed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Imagine the mass heartbreak when England lose/get knocked out.
    If I owned a pub it'd ONLY be when England are playing and I wouldn't be showing the rest of the World Cup as it isn't a legal requirement for pubs to show televised football.
    And it'd be:-
    the football DOESN'T come on until kick off and goes off after ninety minutes, no matter what's going on.
    If the customers DEMAND I put the football on fifteen minutes/half an hour before kick off, the television goes off/gets turned over half an hour/fifteen minutes earlier.
    The first sign of any trouble from anybody and the football goes off.
    Just what exactly is the big deal and ever so important about televised football anyway?
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread has being going for 2 hours, only 13 posts and no mention of "won't someone think of the 'poor people' that have to work these extra hours. They should be having down time with family" blah blah blah, yet when there's a thread on Sunday trading and allowing retailers to decide as and when they open, even for just an extra hour or two it completely different.

I don't get the double standards.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    If I owned a pub it'd ONLY be when England are playing and I wouldn't be showing the rest of the World Cup as it isn't a legal requirement for pubs to show televised football.
    the football DOESN'T come on until kick off and goes off after ninety minutes, no matter what's going on.
    If the customers DEMAND I put the football on fifteen minutes/half an hour before kick off, the television goes off/gets turned over half an hour/fifteen minutes earlier.
    Just what exactly is the big deal and ever so important about televised football anyway?
    It's called profit and if the other pubs in your area are packed to the rafters whereas yours has four old codgers taking 2 hours to drink a pint then you'd quickly change your tune, especially with the amount of pubs closing.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I don't know if this new thing is different but previously pubs had to apply to stay open longer and what they wanted from the government/councils was the choice to stay open during the world cup without having to apply for a specific license.

I only know from working in retail when the new licensing laws came in a few (well nearer 10) that you had to apply for all the hours you thought you would need for the next few years, as getting the license amended for a few f=days here and there was time consuming, sou businesses were told to apply for long hours, but of course your local council could object you getting license for certain times, as would the police , as they wouldnt want 20 pubs all kicking out at the same time, so you may be told, no you cant open 24 hours as we need to know your actual opening times to plan security.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member

They will have a license that allows them to open at set times. Obviously if they are in built up areas they are unlikely to get a 24 hour license, this will give them exceptions so they can open later anyway.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict trouble during the first game especially if we lose. Kick off at 11pm Saturday, which naturally means all the drunken louts will be on the Carling from noon, then when England lose to Italy will start causing trouble and fights....
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We go away in June (I didn't think that one through :o) so the first England game will actually be a 1am kick off in Greece!
  • Options
    Forum Member

You wouldn't have any customers. They'd be over the road at the sports bar watching the football and taking the piss out of the strange, miserable old bastard who runs the pub opposite. :D
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't really a new thing, for the 2002 world cup we were sat in the pub at 6am with a bacon sarnie and a pint waiting for the England Vs Nigeria game.

Of course they should do it. To be honest most pubs in our local town are open late anyway.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    Yeah I remember they did this at the previous non european hosted world cup. Great atmosphere at my local pub.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    It appears that I have a condition called Freethinkeritis in which the main symptom is being able to think freely and for myself. The other symptoms are:-
    Being unable to see what the big deal about football is.
    Refusing to conform to the idea that ITV would be lost without Simon Cowell (they've managed perfectly well without him before).
    Having a mind of my own.
    Not wanting a three figure mobile phone.
    Not wanting a Facebook account.
    Not using PHOTOSHOP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It appears that I have a condition called Freethinkeritis in which the main symptom is being able to think freely and for myself. The other symptoms are:-
    Refusing to conform to the idea that ITV would be lost without Simon Cowell (they've managed perfectly well without him before).
    Having a mind of my own.
    Not using PHOTOSHOP.

Congratulations
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a mind of my own.
    Not using PHOTOSHOP.

I know someone who has a very similar condition, I didn't realise it was called "Freethinkeritis", I thought it was called "Smugpratitis".

I'm a massive football fan, yet I still have a mind of my own. I don't like Simon Cowell yet I appreciate new technology and the fact that I can do a huge array of useful things on my mobile. I also appreciate that Facebook is quite a useful tool when used correctly yet I don't feel the need to shout "PHOTOSHOP" randomly. Bloody hell, I bet the doctors would struggle with a diagnosis.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully England will lose and then we won't have to hear any more about it.

Pubs are best at 3 pm on a weekday when there's no one else around.

So there.