Dexter - a recent convert

abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I discovered Dexter a few weeks ago and have fallen for it hook, line and sinker! I can't post on the main Dexter thread as it's a few seasons ahead and will of course contain spoilers but if anyone wants to talk about why you love it - especially the first few seasons - then here's a thread!

I've just started Season 5 (I had the good sense to buy a complete boxset). My favourite season so far has been Season 4, although they have all been good. This is the one about the Trinity serial killer. I love the way the writers took Dexter in a slightly different direction with this, and the way it has one story arc for a whole season. Never come across that before - usually they are all neatly tied up after a couple of episodes. Anyway, after the Season 4 finale I was actually crying! :cry: I was so shocked - definitely didn't see it coming. And I'm thinking about it! A lot! Unfortunately I am the only one who watches it...so frustrating!

Comments

• gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently discovered Dexter when I got netflix and watched all 8 seasons pretty quickly. The ending of Season 4 shocked me too, was very well done. Trinity was a great character, John Lithgow was fab.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    One of the best shows I've ever watched.

Seasons 1,2,4,5 and 7 were all top quality.

Just a shame that season 8 left a bit of a bad taste.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you won't take this advice (I didn't) but don't bother with the last season. It really does ruin the rest of the show. I enjoyed it up to (and including) the unpopular season six. It was all downhill when the Hannah character arrived on the scene (as pretty as she is) and the last season just ... ugh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gcmac wrote: »
    I recently discovered Dexter when I got netflix and watched all 8 seasons pretty quickly. The ending of Season 4 shocked me too, was very well done. Trinity was a great character, John Lithgow was fab.

I think the series would probably be considered one of the best of all time if Season Four had been the last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We just started Dexter this weekend, enjoying it so far as well.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    We just started Dexter this weekend, enjoying it so far as well.

So you're a newbie too, Mrstim? Why made you start watching it?

I'm a fan of Criminal Minds (another boxset buy!) and a friend said that if I liked that, I'd love Dexter so I finally got round to giving it a go - and as I said, fell for it! Another friend got into CM through me so will be borrowing my Dexter dvds - I bet she becomes a convert too!

Thanks for the warning about the final season! I may give it a miss: I did after Season 7 of CM.....
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far you will have only seen the very best of Dexter. The greatest baddies and Dexter in his prime. However, the show does start to head south with the storyline involving Lumen (Julia Stiles). Then it takes even more of a nosedive when it introduces Hannah (played by Chuck's Yvonne Strahovski). With the latter we see Dexter behaving completely out of character. Then in the final season we get Dr Vogel (Charlotte Rampling) and something that could have been interesting becomes rather bland and predictable. There is also a horrendous storyline involving Masuka that goes nowhere As for the final episode. It was an insult and the show bowed out with a tepid whimper instead of a glorious bang.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a newbie to dexter. I am half way through season 5.
    Season 1,2 and 4 were extrordinary pieces of television. Season 3 was the weak link for me so far, and Season 5 seems to be a slow grower.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dexter has been such a good show, loved it :)

Having seen the lot, I won't spoil anything as I actually forget what happened in which season. The one in which John Lithgow stars was, for obvious reasons if you've seen it, one of the most dramatic series of any television show I've ever seen, but I do think the model of the show is much stronger in the earlier seasons, and would have preferred it to end one, if not two seasons before it did. I'll let you decide for yourself why I might think that rather than pre-spoil anything for you!

I remember watching the very first ten minutes of the first episode on a whim on my own one afternoon and thinking "Holy crap he's a serial killer?! And a cop?! AWESOME."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah I see plenty of people have pre-spoilt their opinions of the shows later flaws for you. Don't let it stop you watching those seasons, it's still fine entertainment!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Ah I see plenty of people have pre-spoilt their opinions of the shows later flaws for you. Don't let it stop you watching those seasons, it's still fine entertainment!

This has to be the most bizarre phrase I've ever seen on DS.
  • fafa's girlfafa's girl Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    me and my husband have loved it from the start....but are now struggling through Season 8 at tortoise pace! We literally have to force ourselves to watch each episode but we don't feel like we can give up now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people say it went downhill after season 4, but i fail to see it yet
    Julia Stiles has been a brilliant addition. I've loved her since Save the last dance anyway
    I do feel Maria Doyle Kennedy has been severely underused. She was brilliant in The Tudors and was excellent in Orphan Black last year. She's just seems to be there for the sake of it and a storyline built upon her character could of easily had been created. Waste of a good actresses talent.

But i know season 8 has gotten a lot of criticisms, as did the finale. I am hoping to be done with Dexter by the end of the month to see why it divided opinon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Dexter has been such a good show, loved it :)

Having seen the lot, I won't spoil anything as I actually forget what happened in which season. The one in which John Lithgow stars was, for obvious reasons if you've seen it, one of the most dramatic series of any television show I've ever seen, but I do think the model of the show is much stronger in the earlier seasons, and would have preferred it to end one, if not two seasons before it did. I'll let you decide for yourself why I might think that rather than pre-spoil anything for you!

I remember watching the very first ten minutes of the first episode on a whim on my own one afternoon and thinking "Holy crap he's a serial killer?! And a cop?! AWESOME."

JL played the Trinity serial killer right? And that shocking, unexpected, appalling, gut-wrenching season finale..:o

I guess it's hard to surpass that. Each series must have its best baddies - like the Daleks for Dr Who and the Borg for Star Trek (guess my viewing habits!) :p

I had the same reaction to Dexter and thinking "He's a serial killer???" :confused: It's a very bold premise. The Dark Passenger indeed...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a newbie to dexter. I am half way through season 5.
    Season 1,2 and 4 were extrordinary pieces of television. Season 3 was the weak link for me so far, and Season 5 seems to be a slow grower.

I'm pretty much where you are littlemonster! I too am finding it a little slow going but there again, there's a heck of a lot of adjustment and things which have to be played out. Just watched "Practically Perfect" where he hires the nanny! Haven't quite got to Julia Stiles' character yet...I love her as an actress though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now on season 6. Got three episodes lined up tonight
    Forum Member
    Now on season 6. Got three episodes lined up tonight

2nd weakest season behind 8 for me. Didn't really enjoy the whole religion theme. Plus the season didn't really need to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're a newbie too, Mrstim? Why made you start watching it?

I'm a fan of Criminal Minds (another boxset buy!) and a friend said that if I liked that, I'd love Dexter so I finally got round to giving it a go - and as I said, fell for it! Another friend got into CM through me so will be borrowing my Dexter dvds - I bet she becomes a convert too!

Thanks for the warning about the final season! I may give it a miss: I did after Season 7 of CM.....

We got netflix a few months ago and it came up as a suggestion based on what we've been watching.

I also love criminal minds :) and the following ( controversial I know) and Hannibal. Although I must admit I'm dipping in and out of so many new series at the moment that I'm getting the characters confused with each different programme, need to stick to one I think!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half way through season 6 and my god, what a boring season. Apart from where they are going with Debra, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere and the "serial killer" of the season is incredibly weak as well. Deffo overtakes season 3 as the weakest season.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half way through season 6 and my god, what a boring season. Apart from where they are going with Debra, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere and the "serial killer" of the season is incredibly weak as well. Deffo overtakes season 3 as the weakest season.

Seasons 6 and 8 were the worst seasons, IMO. Season 7 was actually the best since Season 4 and should have been the final one.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    There is also a horrendous storyline involving Masuka that goes nowhere As for the final episode. It was an insult and the show bowed out with a tepid whimper instead of a glorious bang.
    It kind of seemed like they wrote that plot and some others including Deb and then found out it was the final season but surely they would have known well in advance so it was very strange indeed what they did with some of the story lines.

I agree with others that 4 was the best by far. I didn't think much of the finale.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I found season 6 the biggest struggle, I didn't really get into the religious element. It did get better towards the end of the season and the I thought the final episode of the season was great.

I'm definitely in the minority here but I didn't mind the final season too much, I actually found myself watching it easier than season 6. I wasn't thrilled with the ending to the series though and thought there were many other possibilities that could have been better.

I found season 3 quite difficult to get into as well, I think it was because I really didn't care about Miguel or like the character at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seasons 1-5 are pure TV gold.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    This has to be the most bizarre phrase I've ever seen on DS.
    I understood exactly what they meant - the op comes along, starts a thread because they've justed started season 5 and want to avoid spoilers about later seasons...and oh look! Someone comes along and waffles on about what was wrong with seasons 6, 7 & 8.
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Seasons 1-5 are pure TV gold.

Add 7 into that and then I agree.