News on British Channels.

Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
Forum Member
✭✭
I am sure that many people will agree with me that there is a lot of people in the UK of Irish Origin, be it that they were born here themselves or they are first or second generation Irish, (born of Irish parents or grand parents) and who would classify themselves as Irish.

This week history will be made, when for the first time an Irish President will make an official visit to the UK and will meet the British Queen. Five or ten years ago while it may be suggested, it would not happen. Of course Irish Taoiseach's and President's have met the queen before in Britain but never on official state visits.

I would have thought that the BBC, Sky News, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 would have made reference to this visit on their news programmes. I must admit that I have not looked at every visit today or yesterday, but in the ones I have seen nothing about the visit was mentioned. While President Michael D Higgins is in the UK now, the visit does not officially start till tomorrow.

Maybe when it does we will see some coverage. Or is it a case of a not worthy of a mention by these and other stations, or that the part the Irish played in making Great Britain Great does not matter to them,

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    McGuinness breaking bread with the Queen will make headlines.
    For sure.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure that many people will agree with me that there is a lot of people in the UK of Irish Origin, be it that they were born here themselves or they are first or second generation Irish, (born of Irish parents or grand parents) and who would classify themselves as Irish.

This week history will be made, when for the first time an Irish President will make an official visit to the UK and will meet the British Queen. Five or ten years ago while it may be suggested, it would not happen. Of course Irish Taoiseach's and President's have met the queen before in Britain but never on official state visits.

I would have thought that the BBC, Sky News, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 would have made reference to this visit on their news programmes. I must admit that I have not looked at every visit today or yesterday, but in the ones I have seen nothing about the visit was mentioned. While President Michael D Higgins is in the UK now, the visit does not officially start till tomorrow.

Maybe when it does we will see some coverage. Or is it a case of a not worthy of a mention by these and other stations, or that the part the Irish played in making Great Britain Great does not matter to them,

Plenty of coverage on the BBC including an interview with the Irish prime minister yesterday. You are obviously not watching the right programmes. The Queen has, of course, met the Irish president and prime minister on previous occasions, not to mention a former IRA ''commander'', all covered at great length by the British media.The BBC has been reporting on this for several weeks now and I have no doubt Sky and ITN have as well (and I'm certain RTE have).
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uh
    THEY WILL cover it
  • Rascar_CapacRascar_Capac Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    It's certainly had quite big coverage in Ireland. I have no Irish connections myself, but think the UK coverage should be more prominent.
    I guess it's a size thing, like when British journos obsess over US West Dakota Democratic primaries but they are oblivious to our elections? ):
  • Rascar_CapacRascar_Capac Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    re.my previous post. To be fair today's coverage has been fairly comprehensive.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re.my previous post. To be fair today's coverage has been fairly comprehensive.

Not sure what the problem is, it seemed to be on every news bulletin and on BBC News every time I (briefly!) switched to it. Perhaps we should have seen more of the father of the boy murdered by Irish terrorists protesting at Windsor.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised they have time for it, after constant live coverage of Oscar Pestorias trial.

That was live on 5 news channels the last two mornings.

Completely over the top for me.

Personally I think its wrong to show a trial on TV and its now becoming a circus. News presenters getting off on making Oscar's break down exciting.

Makes me sick TBH, disgusting voyeurism. Anyway more importantly is the fact that he isn't that major a figure outside South Africa that his trial is more important than any other news.
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Not sure what the problem is, it seemed to be on every news bulletin and on BBC News every time I (briefly!) switched to it. Perhaps we should have seen more of the father of the boy murdered by Irish terrorists protesting at Windsor.

Joined by members of the families murdered by the British Army or Unionist.