Speed Awareness Courses

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was possibly caught speeding last night by an officer with a radar gun (11pm on Easter Sunday can you believe it?) - nothing major, I was just doing a little more than 30.

If the 10% + 2mph rule applies I'm probably okay (do they still usually go by this?). I definitely wasn't going any more than 35 and it might well have been as low as 31/32.

Assuming I'm not and I was 'caught', my question is do they universally offer the speed awareness course to those with a clean licence that are caught speeding at 31-35 in a 30? Or is it dependent on your area or other factors?

I'm in the Thames Valley police area.

Comments

• gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Don't forget most car speedos do not read 100% correctly. Also I thought if it's an officer with a speed gun you have to be stopped at that time and not posted a speeding ticket later.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all forces offer the course, some go straight to fine and points. I've done the course and found it very useful, I think everyone should do it at some point, whether they've been caught speeding or not. One of the things I was told by the officers that ran the course I was on was that you're unlikely to be prosecuted for anything under 36mph, so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone I know who declined the offer of going on a speed awareness course when he received his third lot of points, then he got caught again which would then with the totting up procedure of made him have 12 points and get a ban.
    He wrote off and asked if he could go on the awareness course that time, he was allowed to.
  • Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

Assuming I'm not and I was 'caught', my question is do they universally offer the speed awareness course to those with a clean licence that are caught speeding at 31-35 in a 30? Or is it dependent on your area or other factors?

Yes. Everyone caught on their first minor speeding offence (or first one in three years) are given the opportunity to do a speed awareness course. They're usually between 80-90 quid and last 4ish hours.

More expensive than accepting the fine but you don't get 3 points.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the Thames Valley and had to do a course 2 years ago. It is arranged by the AA, and they use local hotels for the venues. I had to pay £80 fee.

Better than points, but there is still a cost, thought it would be a tedious business but it does make you realise that the extra 10 miles an hours I allegedly did could have been dangerous. As it was on a long straight road with wide verges either side I didn't feel I had been dangerous, but if a child had run out in front of me, nobody would blame the child or their parents, it is the driver who gets the blame.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The course is 4 long, tedious hours of your life that you'll never get back. Boring as hell.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »
    Yes. Everyone caught on their first minor speeding offence (or first one in three years) are given the opportunity to do a speed awareness course. They're usually between 80-90 quid and last 4ish hours.

More expensive than accepting the fine but you don't get 3 points.

Not everyone. There is a limit on how far over the speed limit you can be.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Don't forget most car speedos do not read 100% correctly. Also I thought if it's an officer with a speed gun you have to be stopped at that time and not posted a speeding ticket later.

Anyone know if that's still the case?

I’ve really no idea, but obviously when you are caught on a 'speed camera' the first you know is that a letter/fine is delivered through the post.

As the technology has evolved (number plate recognition and all that fiendish clever stuff) then maybe the police hand-held radar guns are much more advanced than they used to be???
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Car speedometers are allowed legally to read at most 10% fast, but not slow. They're all different but from experience the last few I've driven have indicated 3-8% over the sat nav figure. Allowing for needle wobble & a bit of parallax (are you looking directly in line) you could easily be doing the actual speed limit at an indicated 32 maybe 33mph, so adding 10% + 2 would give you some hope up to about 37 mph, which coincidentally is the cut-off for being offered the speed awareness course for most police forces.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Car speedometers are allowed legally to read at most 10% fast, but not slow. They're all different but from experience the last few I've driven have indicated 3-8% over the sat nav figure. Allowing for needle wobble & a bit of parallax (are you looking directly in line) you could easily be doing the actual speed limit at an indicated 32 maybe 33mph, so adding 10% + 2 would give you some hope up to about 37 mph, which coincidentally is the cut-off for being offered the speed awareness course for most police forces.

No, the limit for a course in most forces is 42mph in a 30mph zone, here are a few examples:-

Bedfordshire - http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/advice_centre/casualty_reduction_partnership/speed/frequently_asked_questions.aspx

North Yorkshire - http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/11056

Sussex - [url] http://www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/the-speed-awareness-course.html[/url]

Dorset - http://www.dorset.police.uk/default.aspx?page=602

You might want to stick to your push bike and then you don't need to worry about speed limits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    The course is 4 long, tedious hours of your life that you'll never get back. Boring as hell.

I did one last December and I actually found it to be quite interesting. If you go in with the right attitude and participate fully then you should get something out of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main requirement is to turn up on time, and not to fall asleep. Oh, and don't argue with them, otherwise they can fail you.

The ones in our area are run by driving instructors, not coppers.

It's a nice little earner 20 x 70 quid (or there abouts), couple of hundred quid for the instructors, and a few bob in the electric meter, so over a grand for 4 hours work, all in the name of road safety.

Just remember: NO EXCUSES!

Evening all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I was possibly caught speeding last night by an officer with a radar gun (11pm on Easter Sunday can you believe it?) - nothing major, I was just doing a little more than 30.

If the 10% + 2mph rule applies I'm probably okay (do they still usually go by this?). I definitely wasn't going any more than 35 and it might well have been as low as 31/32.

It's already been said. You won't get a ticket, a hand held speed gun would require you to be stopped and given a ticket.

You won't receive one through the post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Anyone know if that's still the case?

I’ve really no idea, but obviously when you are caught on a 'speed camera' the first you know is that a letter/fine is delivered through the post.

As the technology has evolved (number plate recognition and all that fiendish clever stuff) then maybe the police hand-held radar guns are much more advanced than they used to be???

Yes it is.

A radar gun does not read the number plate, how could they issue a ticket. A radar gun just gives a speed reading.
  • twassingtontwassington Posts: 163,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a speed awareness course this time last year, and it has had an effect on my driving....I'm a lot more careful about checking the speedometer these days! I think as others have said it would be a good idea for all to attend such a course every ten years or so, just to remind ourselves of safe road use for ourselves and for others. It was rather over long, maybe if they did a trimmed version of say two hours it would hold the attention a bit better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a speed awareness course this time last year, and it has had an effect on my driving....I'm a lot more careful about checking the speedometer these days! I think as others have said it would be a good idea for all to attend such a course every ten years or so, just to remind ourselves of safe road use for ourselves and for others. It was rather over long, maybe if they did a trimmed version of say two hours it would hold the attention a bit better.

Yes, I think that making the course compulsory for new drivers and then a refresher every 10 years would be a great idea. You wouldn't want to fly on a plane where the pilot hadn't been on any training courses since getting their first licence.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, I think that making the course compulsory for new drivers and then a refresher every 10 years would be a great idea. You wouldn't want to fly on a plane where the pilot hadn't been on any training courses since getting their first licence.

Don't pilots just have to do so many flying hours a year to keep their licence? I might be wrong?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speed Awareness Courses are not refresher courses on driving in general - sounds like someone wasn't listening!

The increase in speed cameras over the past 30 years has seen a corresponding decrease in speed signs. It’s quite possible these days to go for miles without being able to check the speed limit for the area.

More signs, and perhaps a national colour code system indicating the current speed limit would help to reduce speeding. Unfortunately that won’t happen because it would mean spending money rather than raking in fines and revenue from Speed Awareness Courses.

Advanced driving course are available for anyone wanting to upgrade their driving skills.

And yes, you can be notified through the post when caught in a mobile speed trap.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I got clocked doing 34 in a 30 after not slowing down quickly enough from a 40 to 30 zone...oops! Won't do that again!

I did the course at a local hotel. It was 4 hours long but I actually enjoyed it! It was presented really well and not in a patronising way. Most importantly, it did make me think. That two or three mph faster really could be the difference between life and death.

The only person who didn't pass was a guy who just argued all the time and at one point said to the trainer, "well what do you knew really about driving? Afterall, you're only a woman." I KID YOU NOT! You could hear the collective intake of breath before he was ejected!
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, I noticed on my recent renewal that several insurers are now asking if you have done a speed awareness course in the last 5 years.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Yes it is.

A radar gun does not read the number plate, how could they issue a ticket. A radar gun just gives a speed reading.

Is that correct?

Evidently there are modern hand-held LiDAR speed guns that have video recording and number plate recognition technology in-built. They’ve been used in the US for a while. Not sure whether they are used here though. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    BTW, I noticed on my recent renewal that several insurers are now asking if you have done a speed awareness course in the last 5 years.

Surely those who have been on a recent course should get a discount on their insurance as they ought to be safer drivers ;-)
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

No, one insurer, Admiral, but they have several brands.

And there is no way they can check because the database is not public.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I did one last December and I actually found it to be quite interesting. If you go in with the right attitude and participate fully then you should get something out of it.

:D Thank goodness I'm not the only one who enjoyed it!! I thought it was really interesting - though my husband is now completely sick of me pointing out road markings & lamposts etc! They are not run by police and they are not there to tell you off so not judgemental in anyway, purely educational which is surely a good thing?

You get tea and biscuits anyway :)