Man Of Steel my views and hopes

Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello Everyone.
I have been wanting to write for a while now about the man of steel. So here it goes, first up I am a huge fan of the superman films. I don't read comics and I refuse to even watch SV. I loved the new adventures of Superman though. Right back to the films for the CR will always be Superman end of story. I grew up on all four films and still watch them like it is the first time to this day. The films sum up everything we look for on this earth, peace hope and a saviour. Now I know Superman 4 was very bad but it is still part of the collection and it is fun to see the wires lol. Now for me Superman Returns was the perfect Superman Film.

And I think it was for a lot of hard core Superman fans. It was pretty much a carbon copy of the first two films. Brandon Routh played Superman very well and pulled off Clark Kent down to a T. Even at times he looked and sounded just like CR. The only down side for me in that movie was Louis Lane and the very fact Superman had a kid just a big no no. However looking back I still love this film.

Now SR was classed as a flop even though it took nearly 400 million dollars at the box office and over 100 million in Dvd sales. It cost 250ish Million dollars to make so it carved a healthy profit. What everyone seemed to forget that this was the first Superman film to come out in 20 years so he had been away a long long time.

I wasn't surprised when Warner Brothers pulled the follow up to SR and announced a re-boot. My heart sunk It really did. And it sunked even further when they announced who was making it. I hate Batman full stop and was dreading this new film. It got worse when the famous Superman Theme was being scrapped as well and then the news of a darker Superman was to be produced .

However after seeing the trailers and tv spots I can not wait for the new film. HC is perfect for the role of Superman and the cast is a good strong one. I can understand now why the Superman March can not be used for this remake. And even though it is a reboot and supposed to be darker etc etc you can see they have kept the basic core and the magic and Superman alive and it promises to be a epic film.

So how much does it need to take for it to be classed as a hit?
Man of Steel cost almost less then half to make so maybe the box office figures shouldn't be set to high?

Wrong I think Man of Steel will need to take at least 800 million in order for it to be classed as hit ,when you take in to account the big names attached to it. If Man of steel fails then there wont be another superman film ever again. Plus the timing of the dvd launch is vital as well. It needs to come just before the Christmas rush so it gets loads of pre orders.

I hope this isn't to long and would love to hear your views and figures. As a life long Superman fan I have struggled to fall in love with this new superman but I have got used to the idea and I am ready to welcome Man of Steel in to my collection.

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superman has always been my fave superhero , and like most people I think the first 2 movies are great , I rather like parts of 3 as well , and I thought Brandon Routh was excellent but the movie was rather too up itself and Spacey was wrong .

the new one - I hope , I wish ... but I'm not too confident , seeing the trailer it seems like they've virtually ignored Lois Lane ... ! bizarre , and I still think the costume looks wrong . I just hope they don't overdo the Christ metaphors , Superman isn't a messiah .
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how much does it need to take for it to be classed as a hit?
    Man of Steel cost almost less then half to make so maybe the box office figures shouldn't be set to high?Wrong I think Man of Steel will need to take at least 800 million in order for it to be classed as hit ,when you take in to account the big names attached to it. If Man of steel fails then there wont be another superman film ever again. Plus the timing of the dvd launch is vital as well. It needs to come just before the Christmas rush so it gets loads of pre orders.

On the contrary I think. When it comes to long term franchises, if there's one thing to guarantee additional movies in the future is a disappointing instalment or two. It gives the franchise owners a benchmark. A clear target. Bond, Star Trek, Batman and now Superman (& Star Wars) are evidence of this.

How successful in terms of quality these comebacks, reboots, prequels, etc are is another debate.
  • Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superman has always been my fave superhero , and like most people I think the first 2 movies are great , I rather like parts of 3 as well , and I thought Brandon Routh was excellent but the movie was rather too up itself and Spacey was wrong .

the new one - I hope , I wish ... but I'm not too confident , seeing the trailer it seems like they've virtually ignored Lois Lane ... ! bizarre , and I still think the costume looks wrong . I just hope they don't overdo the Christ metaphors , Superman isn't a messiah .

Lois will be a huge part of the film. To be fair this film will be all about Clark and his journey from boy to superman. We might not see much of superman at all so to speak. However it will all lead nicely to the follow up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    On the contrary I think. When it comes to long term franchises, if there's one thing to guarantee additional movies in the future is a disappointing instalment or two. It gives the franchise owners a benchmark. A clear target. Bond, Star Trek, Batman and now Superman (& Star Wars) are evidence of this.

How successful in terms of quality these comebacks, reboots, prequels, etc are is another debate.

Well after Superman 4 was such a flop it took another twenty years to see Supes again, Warner Brothers have pulled out all the stops on this one and cleary need it to be a Super hit . The Audience failed to fall in love with Superman Returns despite being so close to the original ones. so if this one fails to ,I would struggle to think where they go next
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well after Superman 4 was such a flop it took another twenty years to see Supes again, Warner Brothers have pulled out all the stops on this one and cleary need it to be a Super hit . The Audience failed to fall in love with Superman Returns despite being so close to the original ones. so if this one fails to ,I would struggle to think where they go next

They would simple bide their time and when they feel the time is right go over old ground in a different style. And if that failed...they would do the exact same again. The only variable would be the time between the efforts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    They would simple bide their time and when they feel the time is right go over old ground in a different style. And if that failed...they would do the exact same again. The only variable would be the time between the efforts.

I don't think the fans would stand for lots of reboots If I am honest as it will only be a matter of time before Superman gets totally destroyed and changed in to someone completely different. I am a huge fan of Tim Burton but thank Christ his film didn't see the light of day.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I'll be going into the cinema with an open mind, and fortunately for Zack Snyder, I've not yet seen a Superman film I've enjoyed.

I kind of agree that with all the hype Warner Bros will be expecting it to do well at the box office, but then again Batman Begins only grossed $375m off a $150m budget and was considered a success. Perhaps the critical acclaim helped. I reckon MoS will pull around $500m-$600m.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I just hope they don't overdo the Christ metaphors , Superman isn't a messiah .
    Oh, I dunno. Warners are treating it like it's the second coming at present, so who knows?

As for success, I don't think there's too many worries about this one really.

The early word's good. There's solid four quadrant appeal (young/old/M/F). There's talent behind the camera. And he's Batman's old mucker.

It should do very well (and it's my bet for next to join the billion club.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the fans would stand for lots of reboots If I am honest as it will only be a matter of time before Superman gets totally destroyed and changed in to someone completely different. I am a huge fan of Tim Burton but thank Christ his film didn't see the light of day.

You're thinking of the the fans as a single collective. There's always an impressionable next generation, willing to embrace the new, even if in fact it's the same old, just recycled and repackaged.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks a bit deep, this new one. I imagine there will be many scenes of Superman brooding.
  • spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Having some proper villains in the new film for Supes to take on should help. I did like Superman II the best of the original films.

I always found Lex to be such a dull opponent for Superman when you consider just how insanely powerful he is.

I guess the success of this film may determine if we get a Justice League DC answer to the Avengers movie. With The Green Lantern being awful, DC need a hit from their other main player as their other characters are hard to bring to the big screen.
    Forum Member
    It looks a bit deep, this new one. I imagine there will be many scenes of Superman brooding.
    Fear not, I'm sure there's lots of scenes of Superman smacking Zod & co. around to balance things out.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    800m to be a success> nah anything over 350m will guarantee a sequel imo

nice read though OP, i also liked superman returns upon numerous rewatches but i am pumped for this new reboot
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive not made my mind up about this film yet, il reserve judgement till i have watched it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive not made my mind up about this film yet, il reserve judgement till i have watched it

Would you normally make up your mind about a film before you watch it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was enough of that in Superman Returns to last a lifetime
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    800m to be a success> nah anything over 350m will guarantee a sequel imo

nice read though OP, i also liked superman returns upon numerous rewatches but i am pumped for this new reboot

so if 350m will guarantee a sequel how come Superman Returns never got one?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man of Steel has to be success in order for future DC films aside from Batman to be greenlit , its clear that MoS is the first film in a wider DC film universe and WB want to have a Justice League film out in the next few years, personally I want to see a Flash and Wonder Woman film released before Justice League.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Man of Steel has to be success in order for future DC films aside from Batman to be greenlit , its clear that MoS is the first film in a wider DC film universe and WB want to have a Justice League film out in the next few years, personally I want to see a Flash and Wonder Woman film released before Justice League.

Warner tried a Wonder Woman TV show with Joss Wheedon, the project never got off the ground and he went to Marvel.

However, the Arrow TV show appears to be working well for DC, so they'll probably just squeeze The Green Arrow into Justice League. There were also rumours of Ben Affleck directing and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Batman (upsetting fans, because after the ending to The Dark Knight Rises
    it could mean that Bruce Wayne is no longer Batman
    )
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last one was as dull as ditch water, the original Christopher Reeve version is the best I think, don't think you can better the magic it has.

Of course you can make an awesome Superman movie which I hope this new one is. :)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so if 350m will guarantee a sequel how come Superman Returns never got one?

this one has the golden child nolan behind it, they will give it every chance to succeed as long as it doesnt get panned like returns did creativly.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superman returns fortunes were tied into american foreign policy at the time. Superman for better or worse is tied to America's perception of itself. Crusading for justice while committing atrocities is too big a pill of hypocrisy, for some to swallow. There were a few iconic moments to SR, the realism of the aeroplane rescue scene and Superman falling to earth (The Avengers did a nod to this) made it worthwhile. However the plot was lacking and one wonders if the symbolism of the daily planet (free press\free country) shouldn't be replace or at the very least nuanced so as to be less obvious given America's modern day stance on such things as habeas corpus.

I suspect the man of steel will be a good film, but it remains to be seen whether it will be a great one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    hume wrote: »
    Superman returns fortunes were tied into american foreign policy at the time. Superman for better or worse is tied to America's perception of itself. Crusading for justice while committing atrocities is too big a pill of hypocrisy, for some to swallow. There were a few iconic moments to SR, the realism of the aeroplane rescue scene and Superman falling to earth (The Avengers did a nod to this) made it worthwhile. However the plot was lacking and one wonders if the symbolism of the daily planet (free press\free country) shouldn't be replace or at the very least nuanced so as to be less obvious given America's modern day stance on such things as habeas corpus.

I suspect the man of steel will be a good film, but it remains to be seen whether it will be a great one.

Are you saying that Superman Returns didn't work because Superman is strongly pro-America, and at that time people just didn't like America?

It's an interesting theory. But in the same breath Hollywood is now bending over backwards to please the up and coming nations (cutting lines/digitally altering stuff for China)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    hume wrote: »

I think you might be overanalysing just a wee bit. It happens.

I've been to Uni. Done film theory. And it there's one overriding thing I learnt is that interpretations often tend to be projected onto art moreso than mysteries of the author/creator's intent unlocked. But ... if we indulge this ... I could articulate a counter interpretation and highlight how Lex Luthor embodies the corporate oil industry and by extension the neoconservative movement in America. Hollywood is by and large left wing, and that's certainly the case for Singer and Spacey. So maybe this interpretation is more likely.
    Forum Member
    Are you saying that Superman Returns didn't work because Superman is strongly pro-America, and at that time people just didn't like America?

It's an interesting theory. But in the same breath Hollywood is now bending over backwards to please the up and coming nations (cutting lines/digitally altering stuff for China)
    Intended or not, you can read a social/political subtext into a lot of the Hollywood product should you wish. But it's safe to say Superman has always been seen as an American hero in the true, iconic sense. A white man in a prominent red/blue outfit, he certainly flies the flag.

Perhaps it's true that in the post 9/11 climate some didn't find this appealing (though a more street-level hero - Spiderman - gets warmly embraced), and that our new Superman is a more contemporary, complex realisation.

Judging from that still impressive third trailer, they're hardly shying from the religious angle, and the idea of him being outcast in his own adoptive country is also an obvious bell-ringer. Critics may pounce on the 'immigrant finds true self in the US' aspect which you can also see at play, but as long as Superman himself displays enough broad, universal values - i.e. exactly what people like about American cinema - then MoS should be far better received than the lacklustre, neither-here-nor-there Superman Returns.