Options

Heartbleed: HUGE security bug affecting "secure" sites

Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
Forum Member
✭✭
http://heartbleed.com/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/07/massive-security-bug-in-openssl-could-effect-a-huge-chunk-of-the-internet/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26935905

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/08/heartbleed-bug-openssl_n_5109087.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/
TechCrunch wrote:
This afternoon, many of the net security people I know are freaking out. A very serious bug in OpenSSL — a cryptographic library that is used to secure a very, very large percentage of the Internet’s traffic — has just been discovered and publicly disclosed.

Even if you’ve never heard of OpenSSL, it’s probably a part of your life in one way or another — or, more likely, in many ways. The apps you use, the sites you visit; if they encrypt the data they send back and forth, there’s a good chance they use OpenSSL to do it. The Apache web server that powers something like 50% of the Internet’s web sites, for example, utilizes OpenSSL.

Through a bug that security researchers have dubbed “Heartbleed“, it seems that it’s possible to trick almost any system running any version of OpenSSL from the past 2 years into revealing chunks of data sitting in its system memory.

Why that’s bad: very, very sensitive data often sits in a server’s system memory, including the keys it uses to encrypt and decrypt communication (read: usernames, passwords, credit cards, etc.) This means an attacker could quite feasibly get a server to spit out its secret keys, allowing them to read to any communication that they intercept like it wasn’t encrypted it all. Armed with those keys, an attacker could also impersonate an otherwise secure site/server in a way that would fool many of your browser’s built-in security checks.

And if an attacker was just gobbling up mountains of encrypted data from a server in hopes of cracking it at some point? They may very well now have the keys to decrypt it, depending on how the server they’re attacking was configured (like whether or not it’s set up to utilize Perfect Forward Secrecy.)

(snip)

I'm still trying to find a definitive list of "big name" sites that were or were not affected.

Yahoo is a definite VULNERABLE... and still is. Which isn't surprising to me... Look how long it took for Yahoo to make SSL default, or even an option, compared to Google.

Apparently Google and Microsoft are fine, don't know about Apple. Whether they are fine because they did not suffer the bug, or are fine *now* because they were patched early, I don't know...

I've seen some say Twitter was OK, others not. It comes up safe now, but I don't know if that's just because it's been patched after the security advisory.

Even *if* a site has been patched, anyone who has used it is still potentially at risk as their passwords or login cookies could easily have been stolen before the patch, and it can also be spoofed if the certificate keys were stolen and haven't yet been revoked. There is no point rushing out to change passwords on affected sites until they have patched themselves *and* revoked and replaced old certificates.

Unlike the recent Apple SSL flaw, this does not require anyone to be on the same network as you and intercept your traffic: If a site has the flaw, it can easily be made to spit out information that often contains login credentials. I've seen simple scripts posted online to probe servers and grab information from them if vulnerable...

Apparently Arstechnica.com reported on the bug before patching its own server, and then people grabbed the usernames/passwords of people who had recently logged in and used their accounts to comment on the story. And I've seen many reports of people acquiring Yahoo login credentials...

Comments

• Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The online bank Smile (part of Co-operative bank) seems to be currently vulnerable :(
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. There must be an absolute TON of sites that use a secure connection when accepting orders/payments for things. I'm assuming that OpenSSL is used when accepting people's payments online.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked Yahoo again... Apparently safe now.

*Ideally*, what sites should do once they have been patched, and updated their certificates, is actually inform their users of what happened and recommend passwords be changed, if necessary.

Surely?

I mean, when a site is directly hacked or has a direct leak, they tend to make people aware of it don't they? So surely in a situation like this, where it is this big and potentially catastrophic, Yahoo, Twitter, banks, and anyone else that was vulnerable should bloody well let people know!...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Just checked Yahoo again... Apparently safe now.

*Ideally*, what sites should do once they have been patched, and updated their certificates, is actually inform their users of what happened and recommend passwords be changed, if necessary.

Surely?

I mean, when a site is directly hacked or has a direct leak, they tend to make people aware of it don't they? So surely in a situation like this, where it is this big and potentially catastrophic, Yahoo, Twitter, banks, and anyone else that was vulnerable should bloody well let people know!...

If they can, yes, they should let members of their sites know what has happened.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully my main domain is fine. Well A- ...
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently DuckDuckGo which mainly makes uses Bing leaked too.

Lets hope our security services made near 3 years of warranted use of this since it was 'introduced'..
  • Options
    Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Apparently DuckDuckGo which mainly makes uses Bing leaked too.

Lets hope our security services made near 3 years of warranted use of this since it was 'introduced'..

That's an interesting point, was this flaw just an error or was it deliberately created like the RSS vulnerability.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, so far we had Android digital signatures, Apple's goto Fail, and Linux TLS, but as far as security fvckvps go this one takes the first prize. Potentially everything was compromised, including existing valid certificates. And it does not make sense to get a new one until the bug is patched. And they can be pretty expensive, will they really get a new one, or hope they were not compromised. Time to get your tin foil hats out, everybody. It's either a conspiracy of incompetence or of very clever people :p
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the recommendation on the BBC website.
    "But changing your password is very easy. So it's not a bad idea but it's not something people have to rush out to do unless the service recommends you do so."

Do they have any idea how many passwords the average IT literate person has?

If I have to change all of my passwords that will take a few hours. And there will always be those odd sites where I made a purchase and HAD to register and have never used since.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    there doesn't seem much point changing the passwords right now to me.

i'd really rather wait till i know the servers are fixed.

interesting technical explanation on the exploit on the reg.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/09/heartbleed_explained/
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    I like the recommendation on the BBC website.

Do they have any idea how many passwords the average IT literate person has?

If I have to change all of my passwords that will take a few hours. And there will always be those odd sites where I made a purchase and HAD to register and have never used since.

You're not at risk from those sites. This bug affects, for example, people who have recently logged in or had their data pass through the server's RAM as it was being decrypted or encrypted (i.e. through logging in, or as it was being encrypted during the sign up process). If you registered days/weeks/months ago and haven't logged in or anything since then, then your data won't be in the server's memory now and won't be able to be extracted like this.

This isn't breaking in to servers and stealing data from their storage disks, it's extracting recently processed data from the server's memory.

I would just avoid logging in or signing up to websites for a while unless it's necessary. Change passwords if the sites tell you to and after the servers have been patched (otherwise why bother - your new password will be just as susceptible). Though I already practice this anyway (not logging in or signing up to sites unless I need to).
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    The online bank Smile (part of Co-operative bank) seems to be currently vulnerable :(

Strange - I checked my Bank CoOp and its not vulnerable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Strange - I checked my Bank CoOp and its not vulnerable

How would you know if it's vulerable or not? This is if the Bank didn't know anything was wrong themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there doesn't seem much point changing the passwords right now to me.

i'd really rather wait till i know the servers are fixed.

Yes, now is a time even new hackers could be snooping on encrypted (but compromised) communications and retrieving new passwords. It is safe to do anything only after the bug is patched at a particular site and all certificates currently in use replaced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    How would you know if it's vulerable or not? This is if the Bank didn't know anything was wrong themselves.
    http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's, nice, for the lack of another word. I wonder if it was exploited and if it helped that it's open source. It allows collaboration, but it can also get abused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    That's, nice, for the lack of another word. I wonder if it was exploited and if it helped that it's open source. It allows collaboration, but it can also get abused.

Well that it is open source I guess means that it could have been being exploited since someone noticed. And that it could have been put their deliberately, and been exploited since the beginning.

One of the things we know from snowden is SSL does not present a problem to the NSA or gchq. But they haven't actually cracked it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how it is with Microsoft's implementation, no vulnerabilities of this magnitude were published, but there always were legends about a "general key" that lets you in.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I wonder how it is with Microsoft's implementation.

I remember reading that IIS, at a certain version (can't remember which), had almost zero vulnerabilities listed on the security sites. This was after a period during which IIS was very poor. But I've no idea what the situation is today.
  • Options
    phasesphases Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Where can I find out a list of the websites affected by this security risk? Has anyone changed all their passwords?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phases wrote: »
    Where can I find out a list of the websites affected by this security risk? Has anyone changed all their passwords?

there is no list of websites too many. it's everywhere that you log in on line. not just websites. email. your twitter client.

i haven't changed all of mine. i can't face it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phases wrote: »

As it says on top, it's very likely out of date, but there's a way to find out if anything changed

https://github.com/musalbas/heartbleed-masstest/blob/master/top10000.txt

You should change passwords only after the hole was plugged and new certificates were installed. Since the 2nd may cost a lot of money some may not bother with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i came across this list of websites:
    http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/

how ****ing typical is it that apple wont respond to say if their users are affected. what a bunch of *****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ you can at least test the current state, the reaction of a server to heartbeat messages. And I am sure Apple does everything to be the only one robbing their customers blind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i came across this list of websites:
    http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/

how ****ing typical is it that apple wont respond to say if their users are affected. what a bunch of *****.

IF they're being truthful about getting no response from Apple about it, that is disgusting. The amount they charge for their hardware, you'd think they'd want to let their customers know what's going on. You can tell a lot by a company's response to something serious.