Gail's refusal to wear a wig is a bit silly

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
So Gail lost her hair through alopecia and lost TV work because she refused to wear a wig.

'If they can't accept me for what I am, then go **** them'.

Yet she still wears make up. :confused: Make up isn't who you are. Make up is an image.
I always thought she was a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

No one is asking Gail to wear a joke wig. There are so very realistic lace front wigs out there which most of the female celebs wear.

It's about portraying an image on TV and looking one's best. It's like the actor who plays Dr Who wearing stockings and suspenders, mini skirt and 6 inch high heels on TV because it's 'who he is'.

No who he is, is, Who. Dr Who, and he must dress accordingly in that role.

I rest my case, m'lud.

Comments

• lfipblfipb Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Case dismissed ....
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why is it silly, she obviously feels she doesnt need a wig to hide her condition i say good on her.

A shame about Gail though really, she was a stunner back in her Childrens TV days
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a woman with Alopecia who always wears a wig and it looks odd on her. I also think wigs are potentially uncomfortable and sweaty.

Make-up is entirely different. When you put make-up on (especially the very little amount that Gail wears) you don't feel any differently.
  • this_THATthis_THAT Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big brother is not dr who there is no dress code she doesn't need to wear a wig, shes not trying to portray anyone...........................

dear god ;/
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why is it silly, she obviously feels she doesnt need a wig to hide her condition i say good on her.

A shame about Gail though really, she was a stunner back in her Childrens TV days

It's silly because she lost work and income.

She's an idiot.

Julie Hesmondhalgh who played Hayley Cropper in Corrie wore a wig for years.

Other Corrie actors wear wigs. But they take them off away from the studio.

Gail's a fool. Proof of that was making other people's beds.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    She might not want to wear a lace front wig. Isn't about what she wants? It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, just as long as she feels comfortable.
  • this_THATthis_THAT Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So Gail lost her hair through alopecia and lost TV work because she refused to wear a wig.

'If they can't accept me for what I am, then go **** them'.

Yet she still wears make up. :confused: Make up isn't who you are. Make up is an image.
    I always thought she was a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

No one is asking Gail to wear a joke wig. There are so very realistic lace front wigs out there which most of the female celebs wear.

It's about portraying an image on TV and looking one's best. It's like the actor who plays Dr Who wearing stockings and suspenders, mini skirt and 6 inch high heels on TV because it's 'who he is'.

No who he is, is, Who. Dr Who, and he must dress accordingly in that role.

I rest my case, m'lud.

I totally disagree sorry. I take your point about actors dressing in character. But Gail was a TV presenter. Presenting a TV programme is not quite the same as an actor. I feel you contradict yourself - If TV is about portraying an image like you say - then wearing a wig was not the image Gail wanted to portray, and looking your best is in the eye of the beholder I would have thought. Sorry got to dismiss your case on being well bonkers!!!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    So you think she is a idiot because she does not wear a wig , her choice,
    Wow you really are a tool
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I know a woman with Alopecia who always wears a wig and it looks odd on her. I also think wigs are potentially uncomfortable and sweaty.

Make-up is entirely different. When you put make-up on (especially the very little amount that Gail wears) you don't feel any differently.

I know two. One woman with alopecia who wears a wig. It looks like a wig I am sorry to say. or at least it looks odd enough for the eye to be drawn to her as you wonder if it is a wig or not. I know another who doesn't wear a wig. I don't know which is the lesser of two evils or which I would choose if in that position.

However if Gail choses not to wear one I respect that. As for the TV thing. I can see where you are coming from OP and I can see why TV producers are reluctant to hire on screen 'talent' (as they insist on calling it) whose appearance is out of the norm. On the other hand if it is kept away from the public eye then it remains out of the norm.
    I also note that bald men are hired to work on screen and nobody asks them to wear a wig.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

She's an idiot.

And she is a Fool and an Idiot. Phew!!! I am just glad you are finding the time to keep us informed on what we should wear and how we should all behave. I will repeat your mantra today everytime I think I may be behaving foolish "Put the wig down, do not think for myself, do not be an individual, follow the crowd, do as others do oh and don't be foolish".
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unpleasant OP..just deeply unpleasant.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member
    Nice to see the OP continually confusing in all comparison Gail Porter - actual real person who presents to actors who are playing parts/ not themselves.

Its funny after 10+ years on here you can still be taken aback by threads that are so small minded and ignorant.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If she chooses not to wear a wig then it's totally up to her and anyone else's opinion is supremely irrelevant
  • Robinson1Robinson1 Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were her, I'd wear wig or a pretty scarf with a bit of a fringe attached. But that's just me because I would look awful bald. I have the oddest shaped head. But Gail has a nice shaped head. Must get a bit chilly sometimes but she looks nice in a beeny, or however you spell it. I remember a girl in the Easyjet documentary who had a nice shaped head and looked fine bald. I've got an elongated skull like Tutankhamen; not a pretty sight.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lfipb wrote: »
    Case dismissed ....

Seconded.:D

She's an idio
    t.

Hmmmm.............you think so.
    I think there is only one idiot around here and it sure ain't GP. ;-)

Downright nastiness imho.>:(
    Verence wrote: »
    If she chooses not to wear a wig then it's totally up to her and anyone else's opinion is supremely irrelevant

Seconded. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Having no hair does age her pretty badly.
  • 2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should she pretend to be something she isn't? the main thing is her happiness.
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    I wish there was a like button .... :)
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

Quite right Verence, it is nobody's business whether she wears a wig or not, a school friend of mine has terrible alopecia and she does not wear a wig as it is too hot and scratchy - some people just cannot tolerate them - but the ignorant among us wont figure that out
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sillier than the Op not attending charm school to learn some manners.
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    If I ever had the misfortune to lose all my hair I know that I personally would never be able to go out without wearing a wig.

However that's me, everyone is different, if she, or any other woman in the same position is happy and comfortable with not wearing a wig then what right has anyone else to judge.

It's each individual womans right to make her own choice.
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone refuses to employ her because of her personal choice then they are the ones who should be criticised not Gail.
  • Odette ValmontOdette Valmont Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She won't wear a wig because her alopecia is the only card she has left to play. Her baldness is her only claim to fame these days. With a wig she would simply be that washed up children's TV presenter nobody cares about.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    I wish the mods would delete this thread- the title makes it appear that the DS BB forum is populated by utter morons.