oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking at the Dell Outlet site today and you can get the Venue Pro 11 for about the same price.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting benchmarks on that Atom versus a latest Rockchip ARM SOC.
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/01/21/antutu-benchmark-rockchip-rk3288-arm-vs-intel-atom-z3735f/

The A17 is much a 'less power sapping' Cortex A15.
    Seems whilst the CPU improves from old Atoms, for games new Atoms and Celerons are for basic stuff only.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the maximum screen size for a free Office Mobile? I could not find an authoritative answer from MS. It's free on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, but this one may need an Office 365 subscription.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they not just removed the free offering of Office ?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Have they not just removed the free offering of Office ?

This one still has one year free subscription of Office 365. But you also get Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote Mobile. They are universal apps and they are for free on my phone and my smaller tablet. On my Surface 3 Pro, which is 12" I believe, they will only read the documents and need 365 subscription for full functionality. I think they are supposed to replace free offers of Office 2013 and 365 for small tablets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    My Cube i7 stylus didn't cost much more than that Linx 10. Core m, better graphics, better screen (1080p and with wacom digitizer), 4GB ram, 64GB SSD. Ok, no uk warranty and a direct import from China, but still. Build quality is excellent, could easily pass for a western mainstream brand.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CraigC wrote: »
    My Cube i7 stylus didn't cost much more than that Linx 10. Core m, better graphics, better screen (1080p and with wacom digitizer), 4GB ram, 64GB SSD. Ok, no uk warranty and a direct import from China, but still. Build quality is excellent, could easily pass for a western mainstream brand.

For the sake of about £80 I think I'd go for an MS Surface from Amazon, the Cube 17 I saw was £300 and the Surface 3 (64GB) was £380
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CraigC wrote: »

It was not so much the device I was intending to highlight, but the fact it is shipping with Windows 10 and will have all the right drivers, and will have its own install codes etc (not sure if that install code is hard-wired like the 8.1 oem machines).

One of the problems people are experiencing with upgrades from 8.1+Bing to 10 is that 10 does not always have all the available drivers, and the recommendation is to upgrade with files kept in place (including drivers), as this seems to work better (same is somewhat true with any PC).

Another problem with the 8.1+Bing tablets was that if you did not take proper backup precautions (far to many people do not), and you had to reinstall the OS, you would struggle as the 8.1+Bing OS was a special version, and not available to the public at large.

Now the tablets use the standard public release of Windows 10 so it is much easier to get hold of, so even if you had not made proper backups, you now have a more viable option to fall back on.

Note: people should still take proper backup precautions eg full system images etc, as that is usually a better way of recovering on tablets because it minimises/eliminates missing driver issues).