ENGLISH National Anthem

124»

Comments

• Options
    EchoFallsEchoFalls Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sooze wrote: »
    The most common one is in sports when your are a Scot/Welsh/Irish if you lose but all of a sudden British if you win

Really? Andy Murray is despised south of the border despite his achievements.
  • Options
    jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sooze wrote: »
    You need to ask (BIB) & I

I have so often tried to explain to English and people from elsewhere why the rest of the UK get annoyed with the assumption that England is the UK and what amazes me is why they never realised.
    The most common one is in sports when your are a Scot/Welsh/Irish if you lose but all of a sudden British if you win

Well I guess we could argue that the UK is England, with little bits attatched :D:D

<Bolts for the door with out looking back> :D
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrozzyGirl wrote: »
    Oh I must have imagined that the majority of scottish people voted to stay Brits

The anthem is the anthem, ones silly nationalistic prejudice can't change that.

Scots Rule . :D:D well, No they don't dear.
    Actually you're wrong, its 'official status' derives from custom and use, not from Royal Proclamation or Act of Parliament.

However, you hold on to your own prejudices, dear.
  • Options
    GrozzyGirlGrozzyGirl Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Actually you're wrong, its 'official status' derives from custom and use, not from Royal Proclamation or Act of Parliament.

However, you hold on to your own prejudices, dear.

I'm not wrong about it at all. I didn't mention any acts of Parliament. Just stated, quite correctly, that the anthem is the anthem.
    You made the only proven wrong statement when you discussed the majority of scots when the evidence is to the contrary.
    Accordingly there is nothing to suggest I have prejudice (and I don't) and there is clear evidence you do.
    Scots Rool.
    I mean seriously, grow up.
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrozzyGirl wrote: »
    I'm not wrong about it at all. I didn't mention any acts of Parliament. Just stated, quite correctly, that the anthem is the anthem.
    You made the only proven wrong statement when you discussed the majority of scots when the evidence is to the contrary.
    Accordingly there is nothing to suggest I have prejudice (and I don't) and there is clear evidence you do.
    Scots Rool.
    I mean seriously, grow up.
    If enough people chose Bob the Builder as an anthem, they could do so.

Wind your neck in & stop being so bloody rude.
    As you know nothing about me, I suggest you keep your personal comments to yourself.

Your manner is reminiscent of a PBU FM.
  • Options
    Tasmanian DevilTasmanian Devil Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    WOW! I can't believe the British/English national anthem is causing so much angst :o

I actually love the national anthem, it just sounds (to me) so strong and powerful giving meaning to the 'GREAT' in Great Britain.

However...when Charlie & Camilla takes the reigns I don't think it'll have quite the same power behind the anthem (at least not for me because I think you have to trust in it to feel it).
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW! I can't believe the British/English national anthem is causing so much angst :o

I actually love the national anthem, it just sounds (to me) so strong and powerful giving meaning to the 'GREAT' in Great Britain.

However...when Charlie & Camilla takes the reigns I don't think it'll have quite the same power behind the anthem (at least not for me because I think you have to trust in it to feel it).

*facepalm*
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely there isn't a British anthem as England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland all have their own anthems. It might sound odd but I don't class my self as British but English. Im from England not any of the other three countries, I get a bit annoyed that I cannot say I'm English on forms but the Welsh or Scottish can.
    Rant over! :)
  • Options
    EchoFallsEchoFalls Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    Surely there isn't a British anthem as England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland all have their own anthems. It might sound odd but I don't class my self as British but English. Im from England not any of the other three countries, I get a bit annoyed that I cannot say I'm English on forms but the Welsh or Scottish can.
    Rant over! :)

What does your passport say you are?