Looking for some help building PC

I want the Intel processor I3 6100T in the smallest case as possible.

I believe it uses 1151 socket whatever that means!

Looking for external power supply.

Not sure where to start

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt theres much around in the small case variety yet, what exactly are you thinking of using it for? if its just a media player just get a raspberry pi 2 and a custom case and you'll be rolling in a few hours and only of spent perhaps 50 quid including the required bits to make it remote controllable.

Really small forms normally have trade offs as you may not get the full pew pew of the chip as you need to mess around with cooling or they don't have the same expandability such as only maybe 1 sata port for example.
  • Big_KahunaBig_Kahuna Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    If you check www.scan.co.uk for your Intel i3 6100T processor and then pan down to bottom of screen, there are several recommended motherboards. Going by size Mini ITX is smaller than micro ATX which is smaller than ATX.
    The size of your motherboard determines how small a pc case can be.
    Once you decide on a motherboard you have to decide whether you want a dedicated graphics card or use the graphics built into your processor.
    Generally if you have a dedicated graphics card you need to use a power supply with a higher wattage as your graphics card draws more power than the onboard graphics

There are other websites that let you pick your own processor, motherboard etc to check for compatibility

Good luck
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want the Intel processor I3 6100T in the smallest case as possible.

I believe it uses 1151 socket whatever that means!

Looking for external power supply.

Not sure where to start

Have you tried PC World?
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Have you tried PC World?

I would rather build my own for half the price
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried PC World?
    I would rather build my own for half the price

1) PC World sell components for self builds. Sometimes worth keeping an eye on in case they clear stock cheap.

2) I wouldn't ask anyone there for advice anyway, though. I'd always go in "eyes open".

The advice above regarding SCAN from Big Kahuna is sound. You could always just give them a call, too.