New Tablet.

ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
Forum Member
✭✭
I am looking at the possibility of getting a tablet for myself, as my wife has a small laptop and want something that can be used whilst we are on holiday...

My using requirements are just to use - Facebook - Emails - Various web pages...basically just keeping in touch with the outside world, while we are away.

Price band - £200 +/- say £30

Comments

• gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    What screen size are you looking for?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of mobile phone do you have?
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    What screen size are you looking for?

About an 8"....

Mobile phone is a cheap PAYG -
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recommended the Linx 1010 many times and am still very happy with mine. £145 on Amazon with a physical keyboard attachment included. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014D847FS

It is an excellent tablet. It runs full Windows 10 so you can run Windows apps and full Windows PC programs. In tablet mode it makes the buttons big and easy to use, apps full screen etc while in desktop mode it runs like any other PC. Personally I use it in desktop mode all the time as a tablet and only use the physical keyboard when I'm away from home and going to be doing a lot of typing. The keyboard makes a good screen cover but it is heavy.

It has three USB ports, 2 full size and 1 micro, a micro SD card slot so you can easily add another 64 or 128 gb of storage. Plays movies great though the speakers are not that powerful.
    For surfing the net I use Chrome, which has touch gestures like you swipe right to go back a page and so on. Facebook, Twitter etc have their own Windows apps of you can just use Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc.

If you want to do some work you have the Word, Excel, Onenote, Powerpoint etc apps or you can of course install the full PC version.
    You can also, as with any PC, have separate user accounts so several people can share it while keeping their own settings, flies etc private. Useful for kids since you can let them use it without them being able to read your emails or buy stuff from the app store. If you already have a PC with a microsoft account you just use the same account and it will automatically bring over all your settings.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Lenovo A10 a couple of months ago and I've been very happy with it.

Extremely solid build quality with a lovely screen and decent battery life.

I paid £179 for it, but on checking today I see Amazon has reduced it to £119! Blimey!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y6LZM8O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »
    I've recommended the Linx 1010 many times and am still very happy with mine. £145 on Amazon with a physical keyboard attachment included. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014D847FS

It is an excellent tablet. It runs full Windows 10 so you can run Windows apps and full Windows PC programs. In tablet mode it makes the buttons big and easy to use, apps full screen etc while in desktop mode it runs like any other PC. Personally I use it in desktop mode all the time as a tablet and only use the physical keyboard when I'm away from home and going to be doing a lot of typing. The keyboard makes a good screen cover but it is heavy.

It has three USB ports, 2 full size and 1 micro, a micro SD card slot so you can easily add another 64 or 128 gb of storage. Plays movies great though the speakers are not that powerful.
    For surfing the net I use Chrome, which has touch gestures like you swipe right to go back a page and so on. Facebook, Twitter etc have their own Windows apps of you can just use Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc.

If you want to do some work you have the Word, Excel, Onenote, Powerpoint etc apps or you can of course install the full PC version.
    You can also, as with any PC, have separate user accounts so several people can share it while keeping their own settings, flies etc private. Useful for kids since you can let them use it without them being able to read your emails or buy stuff from the app store. If you already have a PC with a microsoft account you just use the same account and it will automatically bring over all your settings.

Totally agree. The Linx is excellent.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,393
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see the tablet advertized in last Saturday's Mail?
    Android 10.1" Big Screen Quad Core Tablet 8gb hard drive £99.95 but a total of £129.90 with carrycase & keyboard, and option to expand memory with storage cards. I confess to knowing very little about tablets, but I want an option to my laptop & ancient desktop. What do you think?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. The Linx is excellent.

Looks like a good value for the money. Are Office apps for free or do you need Office 365 subscription to fully use them since it is over 10''? I never remember how that offer works.
    Forum Member

Looked at this on Amazon and worked my way through some of the Q&As for further info. Can it be plugged into my existing broadband box? Also, I have windows Xp on my desktop & windows 7 on my laptop, are my existing files compatible with windows 10?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    Looked at this on Amazon and worked my way through some of the Q&As for further info. Can it be plugged into my existing broadband box? Also, I have windows Xp on my desktop & windows 7 on my laptop, are my existing files compatible with windows 10?

For broadband, or anything else really, it is a PC so yes. I connect with wifi to my broadband or you could connect via USB if you wanted. I've many programs and files I originally got with XP that work perfectly with W10. Never had anything that wouldn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Looks like a good value for the money. Are Office apps for free or do you need Office 365 subscription to fully use them since it is over 10''? I never remember how that offer works.

The Office apps, Word, Excel etc are subscription free. There are some advanced features they don't have such as running templates in Word, but again if you want full Word etc you can install them. The app versions are easier to use in tablet/touch mode.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhod wrote: »
    I paid £179 for it, but on checking today I see Amazon has reduced it to £119! Blimey!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y6LZM8O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Heheh - price adjusted up to £159, now.

I wonder if someone at Amazon made a boo-boo with the 119 price? Oh well, hope a few people grabbed a bargain!
    Forum Member
    For broadband, or anything else really, it is a PC so yes. I connect with wifi to my broadband or you could connect via USB if you wanted. I've many programs and files I originally got with XP that work perfectly with W10. Never had anything that wouldn't.

Thanks for that info zz9. :)
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies for the delay in coming back. Thank you all for your input, which has given some food for thought.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder if someone at Amazon made a boo-boo with the 119 price? Oh well, hope a few people grabbed a bargain!

Seeing £119 here.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Nvidia Shield £150. Fastest tablet out there.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's now back up as £119 that's the blue price other colours cost more.
    Argos have all colours for £119
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The Office apps, Word, Excel etc are subscription free. There are some advanced features they don't have such as running templates in Word, but again if you want full Word etc you can install them. The app versions are easier to use in tablet/touch mode.

I just put Office 2007 on mine which does me just fine. You can beat proper Office.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nvidia Shield £150. Fastest tablet out there.

With the minor caveat that there aren't any in stock ....

Brilliant device, totally unsuited to the requested task. A Windows 10 tablet like the Linx will make the Shield seem kinda useless in comparison.
  • Holmesc1Holmesc1 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    It's now back up as £119 that's the blue price other colours cost more.
    Argos have all colours for £119
    The full hd lenovo a10 was £149.99 when i bought it last month. Still not bad price and seems well made
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are new tablet releases so slow? Go into any shop selling them and it's the usual Samsung s2 or or yearly ipads. There doesn't seem to have been any new ones for months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever you look on the net for top 10 tablets 2016 many are 2 or 3 yrs old and with the Nexus 7 4yrs. It must be like mobiles the tech is no longer moving forward as fast.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Sales have not been great for the non-Ipad tablets either. Samsung releases new ones each year - the S2 is very good.
  • daydotzdaydotz Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I've just bought a Z3 compact tablet as a sort of upgrade from a
    Nexus 7 13(its showing its age)

Their isn't much choice out there for Android tabs the shield sounds good if you can get one & its fault free
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The z3 does look great and it's the size I am looking for. I noticed Argos are selling it for £199.