Options

satnav for ipod touch 2gen

djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all.

I'm looking for some kinda sat nav software for my ipod touch 2gen. Is currently on the os 3.0 f.w verson. And i know i can use maps built in but has anyone come to any sort of application that they can use a external bluetooth gps?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    It's unlikely any external GPS would include the facility to connect to an iPod touch or iPhone, as the functionality is included as standard in the iPhone anyway (so why would you want to plug something else into the device when you could have bought an all-in-one iPhone for a similar price to the cost of an iTouch + GPS device and cables anyway).

Do bear in mind that with only a Bluetooth connection, you aren't going to have any maps on your iTouch unless you download them in advance in an app intended for that purpose on the iTouch, and even then it is unlikely that app will be designed to use a location provided from a third-party device.

What you seem to want to do is something the device was delibrately not intended to be able to do, as there is already a model out there which does everything you want without any hassle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst what you say is true, and I can sort of understand Apple's position, I don't agree with it.
    I have an iPOD Touch 2G with built in Bluetooth that has been deliberately designed to not work with my Blutooth GPS receiver.
    Now that TomTom and Navigon have both released Sat Nav apps it would be nice to be able to use them with my iPOD.
    The iPHONE is a phone first and foremost, with a GPS chip built in, if I wanted a new phone at the time I bought my iPOD I would have considered the iPHONE, but I wanted the iPOD and to be able to pair with my GPS receiver would have been a bonus.