Doctor Who Fans (Part Ian)

Comments

• lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as well to let them propagate in here. Who-related nonsense belongs in this thread as much as irrelevant nonsense does in the Inn. :)

Well I'm determined to keep the fan thread alive:), I had to rescue it from the second page this morning. I'm sure all the regulars will return, hopefully! It's a lovely wonderful thread, and it cannot disappear.:)
    Actually I find it very difficult to distinguish between the fan and inn thread at times:o
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm determined to keep the fan thread alive:), I had to rescue it from the second page this morning. I'm sure all the regulars will return, hopefully! It's a lovely wonderful thread, and it cannot disappear.:)
    Actually I find it very difficult to distinguish between the fan and inn thread at times:o
    The only real difference is nobody serves drinks in here. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only real difference is nobody serves drinks in here. ;)
    **presents a bottle of Gallifreyan Ale stolen from the Inn** Have a glass:D. Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **presents a bottle of Gallifreyan Ale stolen from the Inn** Have a glass:D. Cheers

**drinks ale**
    Vive la difference... not! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **drinks ale**
    Vive la difference... not! :D

Well the Inn and the Fan thread are like RTD and Moff.

Both with the heart in the right place, and both loving Doctor Who:D
    I will now have to explain the missing ale to the inventorydroid, he is a bit OCD and needs everthing to be exactly canon...I mean verified:D:p
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the helicopter facts. Trivia question: Do you know which Doctor was current when a helicopter made its first appearance in a story ? (hint Barry Letts)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Thank you for the helicopter facts. Trivia question: Do you know which Doctor was current when a helicopter made its first appearance in a story ? (hint Barry Letts)

Given that hint and the fact that both helicopters and the Third Doctor are usually found on Earth, I'd have to say Pertwee. :D
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member

Mr Troughton. The Enemy of the World?
    Forum Member
    Outside wins. Barry directed it. It was a deliberate heffalump trap Coal Hill fell in . *evil laugh *
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outside wins. Barry directed it. It was a deliberate heffalump trap Coal Hill fell in . *evil laugh *

**climbs out of heffalump trap**

Happy to oblige.

Should have remembered the helicopter in The Invasion anyway. :o
    Forum Member
    **climbs out of heffalump trap**

Happy to oblige.

Should have remembered the helicopter in The Invasion anyway. :o

Are you okay, old chap?

I never knew nebo had an evil side. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    Are you okay, old chap?

I never knew nebo had an evil side. :eek:

I'm all right. Could you kindly remove these last three pointed bamboo shoots from my back, good fellow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    Mr Troughton. The Enemy of the World?

Who is Mr Troughton, never heard of him. Must have been a rubbish episode, not that i have seen it.:p

:eek::eek: That's evil nebo, very evil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Mr Troughton, never heard of him. Must have been a rubbish episode, not that i have seen it.:p

:eek::eek: That's evil nebo, very evil.

He did embugger me with that sneaky hint. :( I even knew there was a jellychopper in TEOTW but not the Barry Letts connection. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did embugger me with that sneaky hint. :( I even knew there was a jellychopper in TEOTW but not the Barry Letts connection. :)

I think he has gone power crazy:D. I, of course, knew the answer:D
    I wish:o
    Forum Member
    Sincere apologies for all the evil. Don't know what came over me. I'm sure the viscious, gaping wounds will heal with time, Coal Hill.
  • Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member

*takes a big swig* I needed that!

Really enjoyed TW - need another watch soon, though, as there were rather a lot of screaming kiddies outside during the second half, distracting me just a little...

More of a slow burner than CoE, but looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sincere apologies for all the evil. Don't know what came over me. I'm sure the viscious, gaping wounds will heal with time, Coal Hill.

They always do.

**rings for the nurse**
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    *takes a big swig* I needed that!

Really enjoyed TW - need another watch soon, though, as there were rather a lot of screaming kiddies outside during the second half, distracting me just a little...

More of a slow burner than CoE, but looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

There is more where that came from:D. CHJ has some kind of arrangement with the inventorydroid in the INN. It was a bit less enjoyable than COE, but that was brilliant. This was still very good and I'm looking forward to the rest.
    They always do.

**rings for the nurse**

I'm here:D
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Just noticed this. Which has passed me by somehow until today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14172300
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    My full and rambling review of Miracle Day ep 1
    Torchwood – Miracle Day – Ep 1

Now I come into watching this knowing that it is just Jack and Gwen with the ever loyal Rhys and other characters like Andy. I know the premise and I’ve seen a few spoilers. I don’t really have an open mind. I want to like it as its still Torchwood – albeit a changed Torchwood – but it is above everything else Jack coming back and I love Jack.

I should also say that I come to this review having listened to the wonderful and heartbreaking radio play ‘House of the Dead’ which has given me a conclusion to the story of Ianto and fed the romantic in me with Jack saying ‘I love you’ and Ianto making the choice. For me this was a better end and I’m saying that having loved CoE. Anyway, on to the review.

We start with Oswald Danes, murderer and rapist and the quote – ‘she should have run faster,’ giving an indication of his mind very clearly. This is the bad guy but we know RTD’s view is never that simple. The fact that I find the death penalty barbaric and I’ve seen Green Mile makes this scene quite horrific for me. Then we go on to me Rex – happy to get a promotion because someone’s wife is ill – duh! Rex is irritating and then there’s Esther. Now I immediately like her except for the shoes. The story begins as the word Torchwood is flashed everywhere and then disappears. Esther is interested and I like that she is. Strangely people have mentioned that Esther is like Tosh – for me she’s like Ianto – the quiet assistant to the larger character but important all the same. We’ve yet to find out what her feelings for Rex are at this time.

Aarrgghh – metal poles through you are not nice but no-one dies!

Back to lovely Wales and that house that is nowhere and Gwen, Rhys and the baby. Now me I’d have hidden somewhere crowded – easier to get lost there.

Next we meet Vera, the doctor and find that people are getting injured and ill but not dying.

The sweeping shots give us a view over the beautiful Welsh coast and a menacing helicopter and a worried Gwen – quite rightly, of course. The baby Anwen is adorable and she gets some lovely stories from her Mum Now into TW mode – guns loaded and cocked and the further hints of threats. Rhys you know better – never say no more Torchwood.

Vera explains the miracles of Miracle Day – no one has died anywhere in the whole world – what is going on and what is causing it? Shame no Trinity Wells but here we have the news again.

Back to Danes who wants out as his sentence has been carried out. Bill Pullman is seriously creepy in a Hannibal Lecter type of way. We know how Danes is being set up already and it will be interesting to see how they manipulate our views of him. I’m reminded of the women who wanted to marry Ted Bundy or those that write to serial killers – they are out there in real life. Some people have complained about Danes and they are right but it reflects an aspect of society that is real – the glorification of the killer – think Jack the Ripper!

So back to the conspiracy and Esther needing to find out about Torchwood- I like Esther’s quiet interest while elsewhere Rex is feeling sorry for himself as he should be dead. He does raise an interesting question about what happens when the miracle is over – does everyone die.

Yay Sgt Andy and now it feels like Wales and TW – Gwen’s father is ill.

Meanwhile back in Washington Esther soldiers on looking through archives – following the paper trail. The 456 bit is curious and also this music accompanying Esther’s search drove me mad until I realised it’s like the Untouchables. Ah Jack in photo and then for real after 20 mins and my heart leaps – ‘Come with me’ – yes please but she runs! And the gunfire and explosions begin. Jack and Esther jump out of the window into the fountain and an introduction to make us smile. Then we have to have the exposition of TW for the US audience and gentle Jack looking haunted and tired to me and he knows he’s not healing!! We find that Jack is watching over Gwen – paternal Jack again. And poor Esther gets retconned – more paternal Jack.

More heels on a doctor and Jack flashes a badge – why is he in the hospital? This scene is gruesome but the head suggestion is so Jack – down to the shrug. I think it’s there to tell us how extraordinary this situation is. No matter what you do to a person they cannot die – runs parallel to what happened to Jack in the explosion at the Hub but this man will not heal. It’s a nice recognition of Owen by Jack and link to the past. The eyes opening is a true – yuck – moment.

Gwen and Rhys visit her father. It’s a nice opportunity to move away from the explosions to something quieter and familiar. I love Andy – nice to see he got a promotion despite changing sides in CoE. Nice scene between him and Gwen as we see her interest peaked and the effects of not dying are explained. Love the comment about feeding the baby lard and then Rhys going off on one – I think he’s just being Rhys and protective as ever.

Esther wakes up with bruises and more to the point so does Jack! She bypasses the retcon because she’s given the file and with Rex’s help makes a link. Rex leaving the hospital and wanting a gun and getting on a plane is a bit silly and a bit sudden as he decides he’s going to Wales just like that. I don’t know if Rex could do what he does in Wales and just get a gun like that. I like that later we find that it was Jack who took the phone. The bit going over the Severn Bridge is funny and I know people who resent paying to go into Wales – I always use the back door but that is out of his way! Rex arrives and Gwen isn’t intimidated before we find that the helicopter is not just tourists. Iconic moment as Gwen fires, baby in arms with the ear muffs and then Jack appears in hero mode and we’ve begun for real. Wonderful – I love him – I do – I can’t help it. Racing down Rhoselli beach is glorious. Who are these people who want TW gone? And how great is Gwen taking it down and then exchanging that smile with Jack. Back on the Plass – now we know why the Rift isn’t a problem. ‘Captain Jack Bollocks’ and Jack is mortal!

Finally they are taken by Rex – no idea if he’d have the authority – rendition? TW is going to America.

I enjoyed the episode – I’ve enjoyed it more now I’ve written this. I’d seen the trailer so I wasn’t worried and after KKBB they did the same and we saw bits of each episode. I am looking forward to episode 2.

Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm here:D

**groggily comes to**

Nurse... is there any... ale... left?

**passes out again**
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **groggily comes to**

Nurse... is there any... ale... left?

**passes out again**

**sneaks in and pours CHJ an ale**
    Forum Member
    In the absence of Muttley, I give you her cousin, Mumbly. They look very similar but are, in fact, two separate individuals.