Grid 2

Comments

• DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say, after a night of playing and getting so far into it, I'm decidedly underwhelmed. Considering the trade already! Which I try not to do, but just can't see where my interest will go, best to cut my losses when I'll only lose £6 on it - which is what it would have cost to rent (if we still had a Blockbusters here!).
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing it on PC on highest settings with a pad all day today. I'm loving it. :D
    HappyTree wrote: »
    But having said that, having GRID, I see no reason to get another one.

Strange reason. It is a different game after all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Whats up with amazon, they keep changing the price?

Last night it was £29 (should of got it but doing other stuff and forgot), then I checked this morning and it was £32 something and now its up at £35.99. :confused:

This is for the race day edition.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really want to like this but the handling is awful (PC+ wheel). Its like trying to steer a supermarket trolley with ridiculous amounts of oversteer - putting me right off unfortunately.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I was enjoying Grid 2 up until I reached the 4th and final season of the game. The races in this season are just too hard, even on Easiest difficulty! The AI is very agressive as well and thank heavens for the Flashback feature because without it I think I would have given up :)

The car handling is pretty bad at times. Reminds me of how the cars handled in Dirt 2. The handling is no where near this sensitive in the original Grid.

There are also way too many street/mountain tracks in Grid 2. In as much as I like the mountain routes and point to point races, it would be nice to race on more of the world circuits such as Silverstone, Spa or the Le Mans circuit.

Let's hope the forthcoming Grid 2 DLC will bring back some of the classic tracks from Grid 1 or new tracks but please no more mountain/point to point races :)
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    I was enjoying Grid 2 up until I reached the 4th and final season of the game. The races in this season are just too hard, even on Easiest difficulty! The AI is very agressive as well and thank heavens for the Flashback feature because without it I think I would have given up :)

The car handling is pretty bad at times. Reminds me of how the cars handled in Dirt 2. The handling is no where near this sensitive in the original Grid.

There are also way too many street/mountain tracks in Grid 2. In as much as I like the mountain routes and point to point races, it would be nice to race on more of the world circuits such as Silverstone, Spa or the Le Mans circuit.

Let's hope the forthcoming Grid 2 DLC will bring back some of the classic tracks from Grid 1 or new tracks but please no more mountain/point to point races :)

I've just completed the fourth season in the game, but only after dropping down the difficulty level to 'Very Easy' which as shameful at that sounds, was the only way I could complete the last few races of that season.

Also I didn't realise there is a fifth season. I read over on the Grid 2 forums someone mention there being only 4 seasons in the game so I've got some way to go yet before completing the game :)
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    Spent some more time playing this this afternoon & im finding it very inconsistent.

Some cars feel really good to drive handling wise, Yet others just feel awful. I've had a car feel great to drive one race yet the same car feel horrid the next. At times the Ai is extremely challenging, Yet at others there stupidly easy. In the same race one lap the Ai brakes very late into a corner & carries a lot of speed through it, Yet the next lap they all brake stupidly easy & ridiculously hard.

As I said in my earlier post, There often seems to be 1 car who grabs the lead & then just fly's off into the distance, While he's then hard to catch when you do catch/pass him he then drops back offering no further challenge.

All of this means there are races which are real fun, Yet most of them are just frustrating as the Ai & handling inconsistencies just ruin things for me.

Also as has been said above, Too many temporary circuits & not enough real world race tracks. The temporary stuff can be fun but there's too many.

I went back & played the original grid earlier & all of the races were quite manic with the Ai offering a consistent level of difficulty & aggression.
    Its the same in Dirt 2/3 & there 3 F1 titles, You get a consistent driving feel & Ai across the games which makes each race fun, Yet its all over the place this time on Grid 2 for some reason.

While I do enjoy my Sim's, I also really enjoy this more arcade style of game & I really want to like this to give me a new driving game to get stuck into, Yet im sadly just not getting fun out of it.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought this today and I'm massively dissapointed.

I've had enough of all this limited story mode b*lllcks. What happened to just being able to do some championships in different race series?

I couldn't give 2 s**ts about drifting. I couldn't give even more s**ts about driving US cars on US tracks. I just want to drive touring cars.

With all the cars, the oversteer is phenomenal. It's ruined the game already.

It's been on a downard spiral since the original TOCA Race Driver Series. At least that was a bit more varied. And a hell of a lot more fun.

I'm already contemplating trading this in - if anyone will take it!
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Story Mode like Grid 2's would to me be more of an annoyance than a selling point. The 2 things that I look for most with a racing game are 1) the cars and 2) the tracks, I couldn't give a stuff about being a Pro driver or a youtube star.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, that's it, I've given it a good stick and I've had enough. Ebay it goes.

Quite possibly the worst racing game I've ever played.
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »

I'm finding the career mode also way too short. After switching the game to 'Very Easy' yesterday I've now completed the game after just 3 hours play this afternoon. It took me over a week to fully complete the original Grid by comparison :eek:

By and large though I'm disapointed with Grid 2 as well. There just isn't enough variety in the game and the only real world circuits in the game only appear rarely in the career mode. The bulk of the game appears to be just street racing/point to point racing, a formula which is surely better suited to the Dirt series rather than in Grid.

I'll keep Grid 2 until I've got Xbox Live again next month and try out some of the online races. But beyond that I can see this getting traded in before the end of the summer :)
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, mine went yesterday!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    As I said in my earlier post, There often seems to be 1 car who grabs the lead & then just fly's off into the distance, While he's then hard to catch when you do catch/pass him he then drops back offering no further challenge.

All of this means there are races which are real fun, Yet most of them are just frustrating as the Ai & handling inconsistencies just ruin things for me.

Hardly surprising from a CM game which (I assume) still uses the Ego engine, which has more fiddles than the London Symphony Orchestra.

Same sort of thing happens in F1 2013.
    The game seems to arbitrarily pick an AI driver who will challenge you during the race.
    I've had games where I've qualified with a lap-time of 1:35 and the nearest car to me has qualified in 1:41 and then, during the race, I'll be putting in lap-times of around 1:39 (4 seconds slower than quali' due to the fuel load) and, somehow, the "chosen" AI will manage to keep up with me and, thus, set lap times faster than their quali' time, even though they're supposed to be carrying the full race quantity of fuel too.

As a rule I enjoy playing CM racing games but if you look too closely at them they're deeply flawed.

And I also wish they'd give up on the whole "drifting" thing too.
    It was cool for about 5 minutes when that "Tokyo Drift" movie came out but we're over that now.

The banger racing in GRID was truly epic fun and kudos to them for putting it in.
    Don't they realise that there's a whole world of motorsport out there, beyond bloody drifting, which is just begging for a decent sim'?
  • WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've given it a good go, but not really enjoying it as much as I had hoped. Why is there no "quick race" option? Where are all the circuits?

Please bring back TOCA.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Hardly surprising from a CM game which (I assume) still uses the Ego engine, which has more fiddles than the London Symphony Orchestra.

Same sort of thing happens in F1 2013.
    The game seems to arbitrarily pick an AI driver who will challenge you during the race.
    I've had games where I've qualified with a lap-time of 1:35 and the nearest car to me has qualified in 1:41 and then, during the race, I'll be putting in lap-times of around 1:39 (4 seconds slower than quali' due to the fuel load) and, somehow, the "chosen" AI will manage to keep up with me and, thus, set lap times faster than their quali' time, even though they're supposed to be carrying the full race quantity of fuel too.

As a rule I enjoy playing CM racing games but if you look too closely at them they're deeply flawed.

And I also wish they'd give up on the whole "drifting" thing too.
    It was cool for about 5 minutes when that "Tokyo Drift" movie came out but we're over that now.

The banger racing in GRID was truly epic fun and kudos to them for putting it in.
    Don't they realise that there's a whole world of motorsport out there, beyond bloody drifting, which is just begging for a decent sim'?

Remember Destruction Derby? I would love a new one of them on the next gen consoles, or even this gen.

I like drift racing, however, it does get boring when you have to constantly do it. In small doses it's fun, that's just me though.
    Forum Member
    I like drift racing, however, it does get boring when you have to constantly do it. In small doses it's fun, that's just me though.

It's alright, I guess. I don't mind the "Drift GP" races in GRID, for example.

Whenever I think of "drifting" in games, I always end up thinking about the bloody "Gymkhana" events in Dirt 3, which ruined the entire game for me cos you had to complete them to progress, though.

Kinda random but I reckon "NFS: The Run" was the biggest wasted opportunity in driving games.
    If they'd made that so it really did somehow include the entire road from NY to LA (and a few small towns and side-roads etc) it would have been absolutely epic.
    No idea if that much data would be feasible though.
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It's alright, I guess. I don't mind the "Drift GP" races in GRID, for example.

Whenever I think of "drifting" in games, I always end up thinking about the bloody "Gymkhana" events in Dirt 3, which ruined the entire game for me cos you had to complete them to progress, though.

Kinda random but I reckon "NFS: The Run" was the biggest wasted opportunity in driving games.
    If they'd made that so it really did somehow include the entire road from NY to LA (and a few small towns and side-roads etc) it would have been absolutely epic.
    No idea if that much data would be feasible though.

I hated those Gymkhana events in Dirt 3, they were completely pointless and totally didn't belong in that game at all.

Codemasters really need to dedicate GRID to pure racing on real road circuits and street tracks, just like they need to dedicate the Dirt franchise exclusively to rallying. They should continue with the Dirt Showdown series for the likes of Demolition Derby, drifting and Gymkhana type events that way everyone is happy.

The Ego engine used to be great when Codies first started developing for the PS3/Xbox 360, but since they made Dirt 2, the handling in all their racing games is way too sensitive and the AI is increasingly becoming more frustrating with each new title.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very depressing when once great gaming studios start churning out below par rubbish. First Id and now Codemasters.
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    The Ego engine used to be great when Codies first started developing for the PS3/Xbox 360, but since they made Dirt 2, the handling in all their racing games is way too sensitive and the AI is increasingly becoming more frustrating with each new title.

Must say, I don't really mind the sensitivity of the controls.
    Playing on a PC, with a wheel, you can usually twiddle the various parameters to make it reasonable.
    The actual car handling, in GRID at least, was absolutely awful though.
    It seemed like it was fine until you started to skid and then it seemed like your tyres were suddenly made of teflon and you were driving on ice.
    I've driven fast cars on unrestricted motorways and if the handling of the cars in GRID was anything like real-life the autobahn hard-shoulders would be piled high with wrecked Lambo's, Aston's and Porsches.

I think the problems with the Ego engine started with GRID.
    Up until then (unless I'm mistaken) CM games had mostly been point-to-point sim's.
    Okay, the Dirt games had autocross races but they were a bit mental so it was easy to hide problems with the AI.
    Anyway, point is that the AI was designed to challenge the player in point-to-point races, so they were designed to rubber-band so they didn't fall too far behind.
    In a circuit race you've got to have a heap of AI's, of apparently differing skill levels, and tune it all so they remain challenging while, at the same time, adopt a consistent level of skill.
    In circuit races the rubber-banding means that a decent player can drag along a couple of the AIs at speeds far in excess of their supposed skill level and then give up far too abruptly.

I've had games of F1 2012 where an AI will doggedly match my lap-times for 50-odd laps and then, if I drop them during a pit-stop (by pitting a couple of laps later than the AI), they'll go on to drop more than 3 seconds a lap to me and I'll win by 40-odd seconds after another 10 laps. :rolleyes:
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first grid but grid 2 feels like it was thrown together in a week. Codemasters are in a rut of churning out the same game every year. I can't see them surviving for much longer. We have seen some good studios close this generation and I can see codemasters going that way. The last dirt game wasn't a success and I can't see grid 2 doing well and I'm a big F1 fan but I don't plan on buying a codemasters F1 game any time soon unless they completely rethink what type of game they want to put out.

I don't know why codemasters had to go all americanised. They were obviously chasing money but ended up losing there quality.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    I really loved Dirt 3 (As I did Dirt 2) apart from the Gymkhana stuff.

I did enjoy doing Gymkhana at times & think it woudl have worked well as a separate game mode, However it was frustrating when I just wanted to do some Rallying/Rallycross yet had to do a Gymkhana event to progress to the next Rally event.

Thought Gymkhana worked well in Showdown though as it kinda matched the general style of the game.

The F1 games are OK (Thought 2011 was the best thus far), But the fact each one seems to be littered with bugs on release is irritating. Even more so when you realize that many of the bugs in F1 2012 were also present in both the prior games yet were fixed in a patch.
  • pavenpaven Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Codemasters - ignoring bugs since Indycar on the original Xbox :cry:
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I played it for a few hours and I hate it with a passion, the first Grid wasn't remotely realistic but it was fun, this is just horrible. The handling is all over the place with a controller and it's not even remotely playable with a wheel, the difficulty is erratic, AI cars smack into you and you have to listen to some condescending bellend stating the obvious while you're racing, It does look pretty with the graphics cranked right up but that's not enough to keep my interest. This is the company that bought us TOCA? oh how the mighty have fallen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolute love the first GRID - apart the (Midnight) Touge - the drifting was OK I managed to do it with some trying but it shouldn;t be too easier.

I did love all the tracks and the reverse tracks which were totally different from the right way round.

The number of seasons you could do was superb - the number of classes and events made it last for ages - I still play it these days.

Much preferred it to Forza. Yes it is more arcardey but I like that type of play - if they have changed the handling in GRID 2 then I'll give it a miss.

If the single player story mode in GRID 2 isn't as long as that in GRID I'll give it a miss. I only tried the on-line version a couple of times and wasn;t bothered with it at all. If they have concentrated on this more, again, I'll give it a miss.

A shame they couldn't have done more of the same with different tracks different cars but the same handling...was there really any reason to change the handling?
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Started this the other day. It's done for me already. Will get the most cheevos I can before I smash the disc into the nearest wall.
    jim_uk wrote: »
    I played it for a few hours and I hate it with a passion, the first Grid wasn't remotely realistic but it was fun, this is just horrible. The handling is all over the place with a controller and it's not even remotely playable with a wheel, the difficulty is erratic, AI cars smack into you and you have to listen to some condescending bellend stating the obvious while you're racing, It does look pretty with the graphics cranked right up but that's not enough to keep my interest. This is the company that bought us TOCA? oh how the mighty have fallen.

Hate that guy. "You went off track, that's cost you time." Really? You're a genius, mate.

And why do I get punished in Touge when the AI car rams me?