tv detector vans

can someone clear this up once and for all.could they really track tvs or were they just a bluff to get people to buy tv licenses when they saw a van in their area

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,274
    Forum Member
    mrblank wrote: »
    can someone clear this up once and for all.could they really track tvs or were they just a bluff to get people to buy tv licenses when they saw a van in their area

Yes they could - but even back when they existed there were only ever a very small number of real ones, most were just dummy vans which scared people in to buying a licence.

Back in the mid 70's I was taken inside one, and shown how it all worked - basically a lot of expensive professional radio and electronics gear, and two VERY highly skilled and qualified engineers to use it.

They were able to pick out individual TV's in the workshop, and tell me which channels they were on - and they were completely right on every one.

But as far as I'm aware there haven't been any for a number of decades now - far too expensive, and not cost effective. Much cheaper to send guys round knocking on doors.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All valves radiate radio frequency signals. So when an old fashioned TV was busy processing the TV signal it would be re-radiating it's own signal. If I was doing it I would try to detect the output of the TV's largest valve, the CRT.

It's quite a simple process to scan the spectrum and detect a signal then to use directional aerials to get a bearing. Of course you'd need at east three bearings to triangulate a position and even then it might not be too accurate.

It is claimed in various places on the internet that no detector van evidence was ever used in a UK court. But that's typical of the BBC, scaring people.
  • Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    It is claimed in various places on the internet that no detector van evidence was ever used in a UK court.

I think this was actually published by the BBC themselves after a prolonged barney with the ICO.

Looks like it was discussed here at the time: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1480075
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they could - but even back when they existed there were only ever a very small number of real ones, most were just dummy vans which scared people in to buying a licence.

Back in the mid 70's I was taken inside one, and shown how it all worked - basically a lot of expensive professional radio and electronics gear, and two VERY highly skilled and qualified engineers to use it.

They were able to pick out individual TV's in the workshop, and tell me which channels they were on - and they were completely right on every one.

But as far as I'm aware there haven't been any for a number of decades now - far too expensive, and not cost effective. Much cheaper to send guys round knocking on doors.

Worked for BT and whilst I cannot remember the year(s) TV Detector Vans used to be parked overnight at the local exchange, very strange cone shaped aerial on the roof, and yes the engineer that went out with this vehicle was a very highly skilled engineer.
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    Worked for BT and whilst I cannot remember the year(s) TV Detector Vans used to be parked overnight at the local exchange, very strange cone shaped aerial on the roof, and yes the engineer that went out with this vehicle was a very highly skilled engineer.

There were two engineers in the one I was shown round, both with electronics degrees of some kind - although I think they were also sometimes run by an engineer and a less qualified driver.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »

There's no such thing as detector vans. :cool:
    Forum Member
    All valves radiate radio frequency signals. So when an old fashioned TV was busy processing the TV signal it would be re-radiating it's own signal. If I was doing it I would try to detect the output of the TV's largest valve, the CRT.

Sorry, but there's no accuracy anywhere in those sentences :(

Valves don't radiate particularly, and transistor sets were just as easily detected as valve ones.

Specific signals looked for were the tuner LO emissions (which told them which channel you were on), and the colour sub-carrier oscillator emissions (at 4.43361875 MHz) which proved that it was a colour set.
    Forum Member
    CM wrote: »
    There's no such thing as detector vans. :cool:

As I've always said - not THESE days :D

As far as I'm aware the last ones were old Commer vans?.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've always said - not THESE days :D

As far as I'm aware the last ones were old Commer vans?.

Thought it must have been a while since they were about. :D
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's typical of the BBC, scaring people.

The only people that would be "scared" would be those watching without a licence so I'd say good to that.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    The one I saw had 2 Wolesey colour king aerials on the roof mounted back to back so they were beaming in opposite directions. It was at the BBC TV Centre doing a test of some sort driving round and round the inner circle with a battery operated TV in the middle of the circle.

That sounds nothing like a detector van :D

More likely a test van of some purpose - perhaps used for doing coverage tests on new transmitters?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    detector vans do not exist
    they have vans pretending to do detecting

they have a database of people who have licences and check on people who dont

i have no tv goodbye
    closes door

exits thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There may not be any now, but they certainly used to exist, and they were not pretending.

could you explain the tech used to detect your tv?
    can you show us bbc accounts where they detail research cost and training costs for detecting equipment/staff training etc

if anyone has been prosecuted , what evidence did the tv licencors produce in court aside from no tv licence and owns tv?

answer all these i might believe they exist
    but since you wont be able to , they dont exist

also tvs/monitors are so shielded you prob couldn't detect them while in same room, never mind outside on street
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrong thread lol
    Forum Member
    It had the words "TV Detector Van" or similar on the side.

So did all the dummy vans :D
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »

Professional radios, spectrum analysers, oscilloscopes and aerial equipment etc. PLUS highly skill graduate operators. I've explained above what they actually detected.

can you show us bbc accounts where they detail research cost and training costs for detecting equipment/staff training etc

Why would they provide such details?, or even still have them after 30-40 years?.

if anyone has been prosecuted , what evidence did the tv licencors produce in court aside from no tv licence and owns tv?

As far as I'm aware there's never been a prosecution based solely on detector evidence - that wasn't their mode of operation.

Far too long ago to be available now, assuming it ever was? - but as I said above, I've been inside one (and shown how it worked) back in the 70's. As far as I'm aware there haven't been any since the 70's and perhaps early 80's?.

also tvs/monitors are so shielded you prob couldn't detect them while in same room, never mind outside on street

Sorry, completely incorrect - and shows a lack of electronics knowledge. Shielding REDUCES leakage, not prevents it.

As I've said before, detector vans DID exist, but I don't believe they have done so for a considerable number of years. They were never cost effective, and simply knocking on doors is far more efficient (bearing in mind the detector van operators had to knock on the door anyway, if they detected a TV inside).
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member

Try using a medium wave transistor radio to pick up Radio 5 within 20 feet of a CRT TV.

With the TV turned off everything is fine, with it turned on then you'll need to angle it just right to hear anything but interference. :D
  • 3532135321 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a picture of a TV detector van in Ireland, outside RTE, picture probably dates from the 1960s:

http://www.2rn.ie//vintage-gallery/photos-for-office-014.jpg

pt = Posts and Telegraphs
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

There must be a lot in life that you don't believe exist then
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but there's no accuracy anywhere in those sentences :(

Valves don't radiate particularly, and transistor sets were just as easily detected as valve ones.

Specific signals looked for were the tuner LO emissions (which told them which channel you were on), and the colour sub-carrier oscillator emissions (at 4.43361875 MHz) which proved that it was a colour set.

It's possible to receive a radio signal from Australia on a 1/2 watt transmitter so detecting the radiation from a valve such as a hot CRT from 30 yards is a piece of cake.

I know because I did it many years ago whilst working for a sophisticated electronics organisation based in Cheltenham.
    Forum Member
    It's possible to receive a radio signal from Australia on a 1/2 watt transmitter so detecting the radiation from a valve such as a hot CRT from 30 yards is a piece of cake.

I know because I did it many years ago whilst working for a sophisticated electronics organisation based in Cheltenham.

The 'radiation' isn't from the CRT, it's from the LOPT stage and scan coils, which is quite considerable.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

I think the cost effectiveness changed with the penetration of tv's.

at some point when only a percentage of the population had a tv it made sense to get a list of people without a licence and use a detector van to work out if they had a tv.

as tv ownership reached near 100% any home without a tv licence had a high chance of having a tv and there were other ways of dealing with it.