Options

Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70 advice

Holmesc1Holmesc1 Posts: 111
Forum Member
Hi all. I need a tablet as despite my phone been a decent sony xperia z2 I need a bigger screen to read newspapers on and watch tv. what's the Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70 like in terms of build quality, reliability etc? I would like it to be able to run my apps to watch tv and catch up like now tv, bt sport player, bbc-i player, itv player etc so if this tab oes not support these apps it would be a waste of money for me. Also conflicting specs about its operating system. Argos says its android 5.0 yet other retailers say its 4.4. Lenovo is a new name to me so I thought I would do a bit research. Its on offer at argos at moment for £149.99 so seems reasonable.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenovo is a good make. This is a budget tablet, but has a nice screen and speakers. It's Android 5.0.1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Lenovo is a good make. This is a budget tablet, but has a nice screen and speakers. It's Android 5.0.1.
    Thanks. Are they a new firm or just been rebranded from something else? Spec seems good but just wondered if they were maybe a bit flimsy due to there low price. I take it they are flash player enabled
  • Options
    sjw8sjw8 Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Holmesc1 wrote: »
    Thanks. Are they a new firm or just been rebranded from something else? Spec seems good but just wondered if they were maybe a bit flimsy due to there low price. I take it they are flash player enabled

Hi there.

I have one of these as a backup. I originally bought it for travel purposes (smaller than taking a laptop etc.) but also use it for casual browsing and e-mail - came in very useful over the last couple of days whilst my computer was out of commission.

Company is long established and over the years have taken over a number of other computer businesses including: IBM's ThinkPad PC business, NEC, Medion etc.

As regards build etc. they are quite solid. I think mine originally came with Kitkat (4.4) but was automatically upgraded to Lollipop (5.0.1.). The only thing is that it does come with some Lenovo branded/produced apps but I am sure that these can be changed ( ;-) ).

HTH
    Steve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sjw8 wrote: »
    Hi there.

I have one of these as a backup. I originally bought it for travel purposes (smaller than taking a laptop etc.) but also use it for casual browsing and e-mail - came in very useful over the last couple of days whilst my computer was out of commission.

Company is long established and over the years have taken over a number of other computer businesses including: IBM's ThinkPad PC business, NEC, Medion etc.

As regards build etc. they are quite solid. I think mine originally came with Kitkat (4.4) but was automatically upgraded to Lollipop (5.0.1.). The only thing is that it does come with some Lenovo branded/produced apps but I am sure that these can be changed ( ;-) ).

HTH
    Steve
    Tah. If they have a connection with ibm cant be bad. Maybe thats why argos are selling them as android 5.0s if they are get updates as soon as they are outta box
  • Options
    denis1501denis1501 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great tablet, both my kids have them, great screen and sound, fast as heck!
    But remember this : DO NOT UPGRADE TO LOLLIPOP!!!!!
    The net is full of people with horror stories after upgrading, WiFi dropouts, sound issues, etc. Switch off the system updater before connecting to your WiFi and you won't have any problems.
    regards,
    D.
  • Options
    MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I upgraded my Lenovo Yoga 2 to lollipop immediately after upgrading, and had zero problems. It's a must when buying to upgrade as vastly improved the ui and user experience.
    There was another update after, so am assuming any issues now addressed. I love my Yoga 2, and would definitely recommend Lenovo, but upgrade os after buying!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denis1501 wrote: »
    It's a great tablet, both my kids have them, great screen and sound, fast as heck!
    But remember this : DO NOT UPGRADE TO LOLLIPOP!!!!!
    The net is full of people with horror stories after upgrading, WiFi dropouts, sound issues, etc. Switch off the system updater before connecting to your WiFi and you won't have any problems.
    regards,
    D.

As per my above post it appears these issues are fixed. Usually people who experienced problems didn't do so immediately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A new version, A10-70L_S000115_160119_ROW, was released just a couple of days ago, with respect I would suggest that it is a bit early to say that all the problems with Lollipop have been resolved. And most users tablets upgraded immediately as the system updater automatically installs Lollipop when the tablet is connected to the net.
    Over on Lenovo's forums there are many many people with issues, one link below.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Android-based-Tablets-and/LENOVO-TAB-2-A10-70-lollipop-issues-report-everybody/td-p/2134960
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new version, A10-70L_S000115_160119_ROW, was released just a couple of days ago, with respect I would suggest that it is a bit early to say that all the problems with Lollipop have been resolved. And most users tablets upgraded immediately as the system updater automatically installs Lollipop when the tablet is connected to the net.
    Over on Lenovo's forums there are many many people with issues, one link below.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Android-based-Tablets-and/LENOVO-TAB-2-A10-70-lollipop-issues-report-everybody/td-p/2134960

I bought my tablet before Christmas, upgraded immediately, and did subsequent firmware upgrade, and have had zero issues. If you personally haven't upgraded recently, you shouldn't be commenting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have every right to comment, the OP asked for information on this particular tablet and I'm merely pointing out to him/her that many people have had issues with upgrading. I didn't upgrade because of these issues, the OP will have a decision to make if he/she purchases.
    You haven't had issues, I'm very happy for you.
    regards,
    D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have every right to comment, the OP asked for information on this particular tablet and I'm merely pointing out to him/her that many people have had issues with upgrading. I didn't upgrade because of these issues, the OP will have a decision to make if he/she purchases.
    You haven't had issues, I'm very happy for you.
    regards,
    D.

You have no personal experience as I rightfully commented also. It is at the users discretion as to whether to upgrade, but mine has only been a positive experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for advice about upgrade to lollipop, pity its happening. I upgraded my sony xperia z2 to lollipop last year and there has been no problems. Infact its been better since, especially when playing music via my bluetooth headphones. I am also enjoying better user interface. 150 quid at argos for a tab 2 with a ten pound voucher to spend in future defo aint bad deal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got tablet. Seems to be running ok. Video plays ok and decent picture only problem is bbc i-player crashes when live tv is played, maybe just app as tv player app plays bbc love tv ok. Tablet seems pretty well made for price