Siemens 587 router

Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just when you thought Tiscali couldn't get any worse they start giving people this hunk of junk.

It won't save my profile at all, I changed the network key and SSID, it saved them, next day they've gone back to default, there's a message about an i.p. clash which keeps coming up and after a couple of hours it's running at the approximate temperature of the sun and smells like it's burning, so you can't leave it on all the time like you're supposed to.

To add insult to injury I should have got the Speedtouch router but Tiscali failed to provision my line in the month I was waiting for broadband and when they eventually did it they've changed the router.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I had the same problems with the siemens as do a lot of people and am surprised they havn;t recalled them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Tiscali have identified areas for improvement in the firmware loaded onto the Siemens SE587 Router. A development version of this firmware is currently under test. Tiscali expect a general release of the firmware within the month, and we will be field testing with selected customers in the meantime. In addition, Tiscali are looking to automate an upgrade of this firmware where possible. Where this is not possible they will provide a manual upgrade process.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    i agree.. it is a hunk of junk!

I had this router for 2 weeks before tiscali swapped it for a thomson router...

I hope for the people that have the siemens router that they sort out the firmware issues.
  • Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good that Tiscali are doing something, my installation engineer spent 2 hours trying to get the router to accept my profile, and arrived 3 hours late due to the same thing happening on the installation before mine.

New firmware won't do anything about the overheating problem though.
    Forum Member
    Paper Doll wrote: »
    New firmware won't do anything about the overheating problem though.

About the heat, we questioned this a while back, this is what they had to say:

The SE587 external casing will operate at ~ 25C - 35C above ambient i.e. for 25C room the case will be ~50C - 60C.

Note that if the ventilation holes are blocked -which they should not be- this rise could be ~55C increase - if the heat can't escape it will build.

For your reference the relevant safety document [EN60950] allows a 70C rise for plastic surfaces that can be touched.

Hope this helps
    Forum Member
    I now have the firmware if anyone wants to try it. It will be going up for download soon, but until then, requests only.
    PM me with your Broadband enabled phone number and your email address, and I'll email you a copy. I don't yet have written instructions for how to upgrade the firmware, so make sure you're comfortable doing this. Bear in mind you could brick the router if you don't do this correctly. (I have to say this).
    Forum Member
    Firmware has now been release on the website. It is available here: http://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=868

Cheers

Brett
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    MK_Brett wrote: »
    About the heat, we questioned this a while back, this is what they had to say:

The SE587 external casing will operate at ~ 25C - 35C above ambient i.e. for 25C room the case will be ~50C - 60C.

I haven't seen one of these but it is JUST a router? WTF can a router be doing that generates that much heat? They don't need a great deal of processing power???????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    hiya peep's

been a little busy this evening unlock my old Tiscali Router " SE 587 "

i unlocked my sky router a while back and been using it before tiscali sent me there router
    been sat under my desk for a while and tonite i thought about unlocking the bugger to use on any Broadband provider, after hours of searching the net i found no useful help,

anyway to cut the long story short i crack the little bugger and now wish to share this info with you good people

i will make this simple for people that understand computer stuff so if you need a little more help just ask.

here goes nothing.

first of all you need to update your firmware of your router,
    updated firmware here --->>> http://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=868

full instructions are on that site

now for the final step " I did say simple "

download this config file from my old web hosting site,
    Config File
    >>> http://steve.hti999.users.btopenworld.com/Siemens.icf

now once you have downloaded this you need to update it to the router, this can be done by the Administration options, in here there is a option on the left side of the screen saying " Config Management "
    click backup and save a copy of your Router Config, be careful not to over write the downloaded file you just downloaded from me. now go back into Administration menu and click Config Management again and in here click Browse " then find the file you downloaded from my web hosting site, follow the on screen instructions, now when the router reboots you will be able to make any changed to the DSL Setup " even add your own settings.

let me know how it goes,

remeber if all else fails you can always restore your old settings by using the same way as above but using your BACKED UP Config file.

have fun

DrTronic
    Forum Member
    I'm saying nothing :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    My Siemens router runs cool, heat has not been an issue at all.

What is an issue is that it has a poor performance when compared with my 2Wire 2700. Which I use when not watching telly.

I am aching to get a router that can do the TV bridging and internet that is not the Siemens one and actually puts me back in control. The Gigaset is just too limited for me and operates over 100Kbytes/s slower in some cases than my 2Wire 2700. (no I have not left the telly on)

Correct me if I'm wrong but unlocking it as mentioned above, I doubt will provide much in terms of configurability as it is the overall design that is limited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    My Siemens router runs cool, heat has not been an issue at all.

What is an issue is that it has a poor performance when compared with my 2Wire 2700. Which I use when not watching telly.

I am aching to get a router that can do the TV bridging and internet that is not the Siemens one and actually puts me back in control. The Gigaset is just too limited for me and operates over 100Kbytes/s slower in some cases than my 2Wire 2700. (no I have not left the telly on)

Correct me if I'm wrong but unlocking it as mentioned above, I doubt will provide much in terms of configurability as it is the overall design that is limited.

Are you all nutters or what?????

Routers aren't locked!!! You can connect to anywhere with any router if you set it up properly.....
  • joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering whether there is any even newer firmware available for the seimens router or whether there is a more up to date router that TalkTalk is now providing.

This is because although the router works fine short range, it doesn't work well on the computer I use upstairs (further away from the router).

Is there any chance TalkTalk would be able to upgrade my router by sending me the latest one they are providing for free, along with instructions on how to set it up?

I don't know whether this is too much to ask but I've put up with the flaky signal from the seimens router for too long and it's not really fit for purpose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    joshua321 wrote: »
    I was just wondering whether there is any even newer firmware available for the seimens router or whether there is a more up to date router that TalkTalk is now providing.

There will be a firmware update due soon (sorry I can't provide an exact date - but over the next month or so), SE587s will be automatically updated whe this occurs.
    ....although the router works fine short range, it doesn't work well on the computer I use upstairs (further away from the router).

This update will not affect the wireless range or capability, if you are having issues - call in for full diagnostics, it could be the set-up or an obstruction causing issues.
    Is there any chance TalkTalk would be able to upgrade my router by sending me the latest one they are providing for free, along with instructions on how to set it up? .

Sorry - no we wont just send out new routers to existing customers on the basis there 'may' be an issue

Regards

Chris
  • joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MK_Chris wrote: »
    There will be a firmware update due soon (sorry I can't provide an exact date - but over the next month or so), SE587s will be automatically updated whe this occurs.

This update will not affect the wireless range or capability, if you are having issues - call in for full diagnostics, it could be the set-up or an obstruction causing issues.

Sorry - no we wont just send out new routers to existing customers on the basis there 'may' be an issue

Regards

Chris

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post a link to the new firmware when it arrives, just in case it doesn't update automatically.
  • ethelethel Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Our temperamental Siemens' power supply died a while back and when the nice chap from Tisc..sorry..TalkTalk came to replace it (no, they won't send a teensy power supply through the post) the router wouldn't acquire the 'Web when it restarted.

Sensing that all was not well, the engineer got shot & hence we have the Thomson one now.

Touch wood it's been as good as gold AND into the bargain the wireless signal is a lot more consistent throughout the house.

(Didn't break it on purpose, by the way..)

Yours, with a decent wireless connection on the upstairs lav.. ;)

D.