Ipod touch - need help with songs

bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
Forum Member
My last laptop crashed/won't turn back on, my ipod touch has about 2000 songs (originally from my last laptop) and I want to get the songs onto my new laptop.

There's only a few songs on my new laptop which for some reason I can't manually drag them into my ipod like i used to (via itunes). I don't want to sync with itunes in case it replaces the 2000 songs (on ipod)with the few new ones.

I've read articles where it seems you can explore the ipod (through My Computer) and lift the song files out onto your pc but this only works for classic ipods - basically not ipod touch.:(

I don't know what to do now. Any ideas?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried recovering data from the hard disk in your old laptop?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried MediaMonkey?

Also see https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's a number of programs and guides you can google to rip the files from the ipod to your new pc but first I'd suggest you take the HDD from the old laptop, stick it in a caddy and see if you can copy the files to your new laptop. once you've got it all sorted, keep a backup of your files on a separate drive and keep it up to date
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Have you tried recovering data from the hard disk in your old laptop?

I don't think I can do anything with the hard disk, as my old laptop won't let me get onto the desktop/do anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    I don't think I can do anything with the hard disk, as my old laptop won't let me get onto the desktop/do anything.

As I said, you can remove the hard disk and recover the files from another PC quite easily.
    Forum Member
    As I said, you can remove the hard disk and recover the files from another PC quite easily.

So I'll need to take the laptop to pieces, I've never done it before.
    Might go to my local PC shop and see if they'll locate the hard disk for me.
    So I'll want to take out my hard disk from my old laptop and connect it somehow to another laptop? To get the music files. Is that right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I'll need to take the laptop to pieces, I've never done it before.
    Might go to my local PC shop and see if they'll locate the hard disk for me.
    So I'll want to take out my hard disk from my old laptop and connect it somehow to another laptop? To get the music files. Is that right?

Yes. Taking out the hard disk is a trivial matter for most laptops. Why didn't you post the make and model and we can give you some instructions. You will also need a USB to SATA adaptor, which are a few quid off Amazon/eBay.

You could take it to a computer shop, but this way is cheaper and you'll learn something.
    Forum Member
    Yes. Taking out the hard disk is a trivial matter for most laptops. Why didn't you post the make and model and we can give you some instructions. You will also need a USB to SATA adaptor, which are a few quid off Amazon/eBay.

You could take it to a computer shop, but this way is cheaper and you'll learn something.

It is a Sony Vaio laptop model pcg-7164m.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a Sony Vaio laptop model pcg-7164m.

There is a manual for a similar model here:
    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?downloadstart=1&fileid=36182

Disclaimer: the link works ok on my iPad, but beware of malware if you are using a PC.

Basically, if there is a panel on the bottom which is about 4x3 inches, then the disk is likely underneath it. If not, you may need to remove the keyboard to get to it from above.

A quick search shows there are lots of YouTube videos when show disassembly.
    Forum Member
    There is a manual for a similar model here:
    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?downloadstart=1&fileid=36182

Disclaimer: the link works ok on my iPad, but beware of malware if you are using a PC.

Basically, if there is a panel on the bottom which is about 4x3 inches, then the disk is likely underneath it. If not, you may need to remove the keyboard to get to it from above.

A quick search shows there are lots of YouTube videos when show disassembly.

I'll try this, thanks. I'm not too bothered about taking apart my old laptop now - I may as well since it's as dead as a dodo!